• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shaft oil change

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
I would be interested to know if anyone has modified the plastic trim ring in order to gain access to the rear drive fill point. (If indeed it's possible). I would prefer the option to change the oil as and when as opposed to doing it only when the rear wheel is removed.

I have not, but on several I’ve done, I’ve just left the ring off. For those concerned with functionality over vanity, it’s an easy choice. I can’t believe the silly design.

Thanks Todd, the bike is soon to go in for its 10000km service and replacement of the fork legs and speedo (warranty). I will be changing the engine and transmission oil myself prior to this but will ask the dealer to leave the ring off when they do the shaft oil.

Thanks Todd, the bike is soon to go in for its 10000km service and replacement of the fork legs and speedo (warranty). I will be changing the engine and transmission oil myself prior to this but will ask the dealer to leave the ring off when they do the shaft oil.
Hi Robert

I'm not sure that they replace the final drive oil at 10,000km. The service book only states that it is due for replacement @ 50k, not even intermediate inspections are highlighted. It's unlikely then that the dealer will remove the rear wheel to get at the plastic ring (unless you pay them extra).

I intend to replace mine with every new rear tyre. I had thought about access to the "top up" bolt which lies at the 12 o'clock position under the plastic run. There is a rectangular protrusion there directly above the bolt. If you made a small incision to one side of it, you might be able to lever up the protrusion from the other end to gain access (or remove the protrusion altogether which would leave a small hole above) and then tape it down.

I haven't done it myself, but the drain plug is accessible without removing the ring. The difficulty is getting the correct amount of oil back in without access to the "level" plug (again hidden). However if you bought a small syringe you could drain the oil then apply a measured amount through the "top-up" bolt. Just a suggestion, or you could do what Todd suggests and remove the whole thing.

Thanks for that, think I'll just remove it myself as my intention is to change all the oils at the same intervals. For the sake of the small quantity of oil that the shaft takes its not going to break the bank.

When i removed my back wheel I changed the oil ,
the Eldo had about 1500 miles on it and the oil was silver,
fresh oil went in IIRC 180ML.
While the wheel was off I marked a area that could be cut out of the trim ring to give access to the fill plug.
I have not cut the ring yet and I know that some sort of sticky stuff will need to be used on the allen tool so the plug wont fall into the opening

I have not, but on several I’ve done, I’ve just left the ring off. For those concerned with functionality over vanity, it’s an easy choice. I can’t believe the silly design.

For what it's worth,

Before purchasing a 2014 California Custom I fell squarely into function over form. Hence my recent request to have Todd fabricate new brackets for the Shorty Zard mufflers. To move them forward enough to remove the rear wheel without removing the mufflers. IMO having to remove mufflers to pull a rear wheel is a really silly design choice.

On the first rear tire change (3,746 miles) I had the rear drive oil changed, and asked the mechanic to leave the really silly ring off. Didn't like the way it looked but decided to wait and see if I could learn to live with it. Managed pretty well too, until the 2nd tire change, due to a puncture at 7,750 miles. Which coincidentally occurred one week later than the 7,500 mile oil change. I figure if I'm ripping through tires every 3,500 miles oil changes at 2,500 mile intervals, with recommended services at 5K (instead of the recommended 6K).
My son had no trouble removing or replacing the fill plug,

Leaving the ring off is definitely a functional improvement. Unfortunately that gap is just such a glaring omission that I couldnt bring myself to leave it in the OEM Cali parts box.

I think with some careful trimming the cover can be opened up and otherwise left in place,

for removing the rear wheel,
I removed the rear fender this was not too difficult.
I did remove the center heat shields so the jack stands would not hit them .
I used the rear foot peg mounts to hold the bike off the rear wheel.
IMG 0645

I would be interested to know if anyone has modified the plastic trim ring in order to gain access to the rear drive fill point. (If indeed it's possible). I would prefer the option to change the oil as and when as opposed to doing it only when the rear wheel is removed.

Robert,

I removed it and left it off during the last rear tire change. You really have to look to notice that it is not there when you have the MG hard bags.

Back