• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Stone Dies in 1st Gear

J. Hughes

Just got it firing!
Dear All,

I was away for the week and did not ride. Upon getting on the bike this AM, it started right up and I let it warm up for a minute. I then grabbed the clutch and as soon as I put it in first gear it died immediately. I tried a few more times with the same result.

It was cold in Atlanta last week (we had snow), but the bike is garage kept and the temps in the garage, while cold, are not freezing.

Any help, suggestions, or experience in this matter is appreciated.

Many thanks, JH

Kick-stand up? There is a safety switch. Otherwise, if it lurched when you did, then it needs a clutch cable adjust at the lever.

I had that happen one evening when I was in a rush. It was very frustrating: died on me three-four times. I was about to hop off and get my car keys and when I went to deploy the side stand ... I found I'd left it down. Retracting it solved the problem, and made me feel both thankful and an idiot.

Thank you, Racer! I've ridden away with the side stand down before and it is MOST unpleasant when you make that first left turn...!

G

Thanks... all. I had that happen to me when I first got the bike. I am pretty sure it was up this AM, but will check again when I get home.

... it's also possible that side stand switch contacts are not contacting. Perhaps moisture could cause same.

... it's also possible that side stand switch contacts are not contacting. Perhaps moisture could cause same.

Or stand not fully retracting, weak or damaged spring, or other mechanical fault.

I've heard of Cali models cutting the ignition over bumps when the stand moved.

I removed my switch on my Cali Jackal early on, but I understand why people would not want to.

Ok... got home and cranked it up, kick stand up, and gear engaged. I think the stand wasn't all the way up this AM. I messed with it and when I did I got it to shut off a few times with the stand seemingly up. I don't think it fully retracted as Kev suggested.

Thanks everyone

I hit the side stand pivot with a shot of chain lube now and then. It weasels its way into the cracks and crevices of the pivot, keeps it lubricated, and doesn't drip at all once it sets up. Been doing that on virtually every bike I've owned since 1975, when my first Ducati's side stand tended to get 'sticky' and not retract all the way. "Side stand not retracting all the way" has not been a problem since on any bike I've owned... :)

never seen one that didn't need a lube job regularly.
I hit the side stand pivot with a shot of chain lube now and then. It weasels its way into the cracks and crevices of the pivot, keeps it lubricated, and doesn't drip at all once it sets up. Been doing that on virtually every bike I've owned since 1975, when my first Ducati's side stand tended to get 'sticky' and not retract all the way. "Side stand not retracting all the way" has not been a problem since on any bike I've owned... :)

Interesting! I've never had to lubricate a side stand nor had one get sticky.
Well at least now if it happens... chain lube!

Interesting! I've never had to lubricate a side stand nor had one get sticky.
Well at least now if it happens... chain lube!
Same here, in 55+ years of riding I never had to lube a side stand or center stand...... hmmmm, wonder what I'm doing right.

Paul

I think it has to do wit how much riding in inclement weather I was doing, and where exactly the side stand pivot was on the bike. The Duc and my 850T-3/850T all had the sidestand pivot right at the front left corner of the bike, where they would get the full brunt of weather. All my other bikes have had the side stand pivot more rear wards, where it's been out of the stream of rain and road grime.

Also, well, I'm a fussy b--t--d. I can feel when the stand's pivot is a little sticky and don't like it. :)

I ride everyday so that side stand goes up & down ...wellll let's see how many times in one day:
Up: in the morning leaving the house
Down: Closing the gate at end of driveway.
Up: leaving the driveway.
Down: Stop for breakfast or coffee or gas.
Up: Leaving same
Down; Get to work
Up: Going home
Down: open gate
Up: driveway entrance
Down: parked at home.

5 ups & 5 downs. And my bikes live outside so the stand gets lubed about every 3 weeks.

Back