• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge - clicking main injector relay

bobra

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi all. I'm desperate for some help....

2007 Norge, fitted with Power Commander/Autotune and modified ECU about 8 years ago. A week or so ago I was out for a ride when the bike suddenly lost power and stopped. The dreaded "ECU disconnected" symbol on the dashboard. Turned it off - now when you turn in on:

1. The rainbow light show ignition cycle starts but the neutral light does not stay on
2. The ECU disconnected symbol appears
3. The main injector relay (relay 30 on the wiring diagram) rapidly clicks constantly
3. The bike will not turn over

If I replace the injector relay with another - it also click incessantly.
If I removed the injector relay altogether, the bike will crank over but, of course, will not start.
There are no ECU error codes other than the ECU disconnected icon.

From the wiring diagram, it appears the relay feeds power to the coils and the main injectors. The activating wire (red/black) and ground wire (grey/blue) come from the ECU pins 17 and 6 respectively. The activating wire (red/black) delivers 12.06V when the ignition is turned on and the ground (?) wire gives me 6 ohm resistance to the frame. The main power feed (orange/green) delivers 12.38V.

I'm hoping this may be the ECU ground wire issue that others have reported but how do I access this wire? Alternatively, is the ECU cooked or could there be a short somewhere else? How do I track it down?

The only other bits of possibly relevant information are:

1. About 3 months ago, I got the ECU disconnected error symbol associated with the speedo and tacho dropping to 0. The problem seems to resolve itself when the bike sat in garage for a month.

2. This was the first major ride after the bike was recently serviced. I had asked the mechanic to check the ECU connections but when I picked up the bike he told me he hadn't check them because they were too hard to access (go figure!).

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

99% of the time this issue is ground related. The ground wire is at the ECU, and is a bit of a nightmare to get to. You have to remove the tank, and it lives under the frame above the alternator. It is shown in other threads here, try a search.
But before you go through that trouble, check all of the grounds, including the one under the starter cover, and the both positive and negatives at the battery and at the motor & starter. The ECU is pretty bullet-proof, and not likely a cause. I personally haven't seen one fail yet related to normal running.

99% of the time this issue is ground related. The ground wire is at the ECU, and is a bit of a nightmare to get to. You have to remove the tank, and it lives under the frame above the alternator. It is shown in other threads here, try a search.
But before you go through that trouble, check all of the grounds, including the one under the starter cover, and the both positive and negatives at the battery and at the motor & starter. The ECU is pretty bullet-proof, and not likely a cause. I personally haven't seen one fail yet related to normal running.

Thanks Todd - that's somewhat comforting, I'm not keen on forking out for a new ECU! I'll check all of the grounds and see how I go.

Cheers

Rob

You stated that the ground wire shows 6 ohms resistance to the frame. That sounds like your culprit right there. A ground should be close to 0 ohms.

Yes, that ECU ground connection sounds suspect.
When you are in there, carefully remove the two main multi pin connectors, spray the pins with contact cleaner and replace. They have been known to get corrosion in there.

When checking the ecu ground make sure you check the crimp on the ring terminal and wire. I have found a few that had a loose wire in the crimp.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and assistance. There was a broken earth wire on the ECU - could Guzzi make that sucker any more difficult to access? I haven't reassembled the bike yet as I discovered a plug near the ECU that either wasn't connected to anything or I accidentally disconnected it - I'm not sure. I can't find any corresponding connector so I'm baffled. The wire runs forward under the handle bars - pictures are attached.
IMG 1427 IMG 1426
Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks

Rob

TomTom GPS feed. Extremely well covered here.

Thanks again Todd - I must admit I find searching the forums a little difficult - is there a "tutorial" anywhere on using search parameters?

Anyway - now that's cleared up, time to reassemble.

:)

Well, "Nora" is back up and running as good as ever - thanks to all for your assistance. The ground wire was (or should have been) attached on the underside of the ECU so I removed the ECU to get to it. Has anyone been able to access the ground with the ECU in situ?

Cheers

Rob

Glad to hear this was the solution, I had an 'interesting' time with my 1200 Breva over the summer with the ECU Disconnected error and it was a mildy tarnished (Note : NOT corroded) ECU earth tag. I have come to the following conclusions;
1. After pulling all the connectors none of them were corroded, great job Guzzi!
2. Once you start to experience any weird SERVICE! type errors that don't align with the error codes it's probably this little bugger that's causing the heartburn!!

Back