• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

transforming a 1998 EV 11 Touring...

Antonella

Just got it firing!
I just scored a dirt cheap EV 11 Touring, but hate the style and in particular the shape of the ugly gas tank.....would like to trans form it to a non radical cafe racer or just a sport tourer....
Here's my thoughts...Can I get another shape of Guzzi tank to fit on this Tonti frame? What would fit...same with seat and rear fender....I like to strip/bobb it a bit without looking stupid...
Anybody done that before....I have a very limited budget, but connection to good paint.
Winter is coming soon and I have a heater in the garage.....cant wait, thanks for all the input!!

Can't remember if the fuel pump is internal or external on the EV11 & that will be a consideration.
If you are looking for a "plug & play" tank I don't think it's going to happen.

The early styles like the V7, T's & T3, Mille GT, T5 are for carb'd bikes, they can be made to work but does require fitting hose nipples for the return line, etc....

The Sport & Sport Tour & Griso models are different frames so the tank won't even be close.
Not sure about the modern V7's & how much modification would be required.

You can have your tank cut & reformed.
Is there a Vocational Technical school or University near you?
Univ of Florida has a metal shop & some of the kids have built some cool bobbers & cafe racers.

Trout, on the 1998 the fuel pump is external. Like you I think his best option is to have the stock tank modified to resemble what he is wanting. The problem is with the stock airbox it is only a 4.8 gallon tank, so he will have to be careful in the reshape to not diminish capacity. But with luck, he might be able to gain capacity.

Trout, on the 1998 the fuel pump is external. Like you I think his best option is to have the stock tank modified to resemble what he is wanting. The problem is with the stock airbox it is only a 4.8 gallon tank, so he will have to be careful in the reshape to not diminish capacity. But with luck, he might be able to gain capacity.

thanks for both reply's, that would be a good idea...reshaping....may have a friend could do that or I just save up and buy a GRISO....haha...thanks guys!!

Been thinking about going a little further with the mods on my Cali , I think the airbox lid could be dispensed with. It is common practice on Ducati monsters to cut the top of the airbox off and I think the Guzzi could be modified. That would give enough clearance for other tanks . Then the ECU needs to go along side a slimmer battery to allow a normal seat .
Only downside if the induction roar ,so load you could taste it on my S2R

Been thinking about going a little further with the mods on my Cali , I think the airbox lid could be dispensed with. It is common practice on Ducati monsters to cut the top of the airbox off and I think the Guzzi could be modified. That would give enough clearance for other tanks . Then the ECU needs to go along side a slimmer battery to allow a normal seat .
Only downside if the induction roar ,so load you could taste it on my S2R

Also getting that much air would require considerable fueling mods. Not easy if the bike is using a P8 ECU.

Hadn't considered that john. Does the Sport1100 use the P8 ? and does it also use the forced air intake ? . I ask because I owned a carbed Sport ,it had forced air to both air intake via front ducts and to the float chambers . I would think that shifts a lot of air , but don't know if the same system was retained on the later injected Sports .

Hadn't considered that john. Does the Sport1100 use the P8 ? and does it also use the forced air intake ? . I ask because I owned a carbed Sport ,it had forced air to both air intake via front ducts and to the float chambers . I would think that shifts a lot of air , but don't know if the same system was retained on the later injected Sports .

I think the Sport 1100 used the 16M. Still used the forced air into the airbox.

Yes it can be done, it's just a great deal of work. Mine took a few years, and was based off of an '02 Stone. Depending on how much work you want to do, you can use most any dual petcock Guzzi tank. Below is a early 70's V7 Sport repro tank. You can use the new V7 Guzzi tank and eliminate the fuel pump and 6' of fuel lines. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it isn't It a big and expensive under-taking.

IMG 2147

Yes it can be done, it's just a great deal of work. Mine took a few years, and was based off of a '02 Stone. Depending on how much work you want to do, you can use most any dual petcock Guzzi tank. If yiu like below, you can use the newer V7 Guzzi tank and eliminate the fuel pump and 6' of fuel lines. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it isn't It a big and expensive under-taking.

View attachment 13424

That thing is gorgeous. Do you still have it?

That thing is gorgeous. Do you still have it?
Thanks. Black chrome steel beauty I named 1100SS as a tribute to the 1000S.
I sold it the very first day I rode it to the Coffee Shop in Malibu to the Producer of Ewan McGregor's Long Way Down... I didn't know him, but he pulled up on a HD chopper, and said he must have it. So I know where it is, and it may be for sale for $17,500.

I am finishing up another now that will be for sale soon... calling it the V7-ELEVEN.

IMG 1934 IMG 2151

Wow, If only the factory employed people with your taste and style .
What have you used for the side panels ?

I think the airbox lid could be dispensed with. Then the ECU needs to go along side a slimmer battery to allow a normal seat .
Yes, I have the air box element ring in the Store; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-cal-1100-air-box-lid/ -- and I can fix the fueling for you as well with a Power Commander; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/power-commander-pciii/ (not listed but I sell one to fit).
Great idea on the ECU, and I sell slim lithium batteries in the Store here also.
Wow, If only the factory employed people with your taste and style .
What have you used for the side panels ?
Thanks, wish someone there who cared would listen. 1100SS were 850-T, V7-11 are V7 Sport retro side covers. I also have a set that mimics the tool box covers of that era as well. They require different tabs off the frame.

Thanks. Black chrome steel beauty I named 1100SS as a tribute to the 1000S.
I sold it the very first day I rode it to the Coffee Shop in Malibu to the Producer of Ewan McGregor's Long Way Down... I didn't know him, but he pulled up on a HD chopper, and said he must have it. So I know where it is, and it may be for sale for $17,500.

I am finishing up another now that will be for sale soon... calling it the V7-ELEVEN.

View attachment 13428 View attachment 13427
Well I can't blame him. If I had the funds and saw it on the street I'd be done as well.

With these bike projects you have, I feel like the SoCal group should do a group ride to your shop to see them in person sometime. They are all too cool not to see.

Yes, I have the air box element ring in the Store; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-cal-1100-air-box-lid/ -- and I can fix the fueling for you as well with a Power Commander; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/power-commander-pciii/ (not listed but I sell one to fit).
Great idea on the ECU, and I sell slim lithium batteries in the Store here also.

Thanks, wish someone there who cared would listen. 1100SS were 850-T, V7-11 are V7 Sport retro side covers. I also have a set that mimics the tool box covers of that era as well. They require different tabs off the frame.
Thanks for your suggestions , L.I. batteries are probably not a good idea for so high a latitude ,57 deg ,ambient is usually quite low and I believe L.I. ( seen it on my camera and I phone ) doesn't work at low temps but I think there is a slim oddessy that fits .

Contrary, Li batteries work well in the cold, probably even better the colder it gets. Li batteries have a negative temperature coefficient. There are videos of YouTube on starting a car in extreme cold with a hand held booster pack - not a problem at -15 C!

Contrary, Li batteries work well in the cold, probably even better the colder it gets. Li batteries have a negative temperature coefficient. There are videos of YouTube on starting a car in extreme cold with a hand held booster pack - not a problem at -15 C!
Thanks for that , I thought the opposite . That opens lots of possibilities ,thanks again .

I just scored a dirt cheap EV 11 Touring, but hate the style and in particular the shape of the ugly gas tank.....would like to trans form it to a non radical cafe racer or just a sport tourer....
Here's my thoughts...Can I get another shape of Guzzi tank to fit on this Tonti frame? What would fit...same with seat and rear fender....I like to strip/bobb it a bit without looking stupid...
Anybody done that before....I have a very limited budget, but connection to good paint.
Winter is coming soon and I have a heater in the garage.....cant wait, thanks for all the input!!
Here's my iteration of a 98 EV cafe. It can be done!

When I first bought my '98 EV11 touring I wanted to transform it into a T3 visually but I started fixing the things I felt needed upgrading this has been a 17 year process with Todd/GuzziTech. The "Cruiser" bodywork just made it more fun because most don't know there is a '80's sport bike hidden under the cruiser bodywork. I've changed swingarm, rear shocks, fork lowers and internals, brake system, handlebars, seat, wheel set front is 18x3.5 rear 17x4.25 sealed to be tubeless. It now is way more fun to ride swiftly.

IMG 2869

Last edited:
Hey could anyone help me with some small mods for a small man? I’m only 5’4” and I have a 98’ ev 11 cali I wana drop it a couple inches and don’t know where to start. Are seats interchangable on guzzi’s(can I switch out the big corben seat with a low profile seat from a stock guzzi website from a different model guzzi?) And would a dog bone and shorter front forks be sufficient?

Back