• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Monza for me??

Barry McCallan

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I am considering a 1981 Monza. I would use it for daily fun runs of 100 miles or so when my '73 Eldorado needs a rest.
Good idea??? I have not even seen one so any input before I go to look at the one for sale at $6000 (!!), a knowledgeable heads up would be appreciated?
Opinions ??

I am considering a 1981 Monza. I would use it for daily fun runs of 100 miles or so when my '73 Eldorado needs a rest.
Good idea??? I have not even seen one so any input before I go to look at the one for sale at $6000 (!!), a knowledgeable heads up would be appreciated?
Opinions ??

Wow , $ 6k for a Monza ? wish I still had mine. Main thing is if it fits you physically . Totally different to your Eldo.
Monzas have clip on bars but you can change the top yoke to V50 and fit normal handlebars .
The V50 / monza are so easy to ride , and handle exceptionally well. Typical Guzzi - they are from the 80's so check for poor finish / rust / rubber deteriorated.
if bores are gone they are nikasil so $$$ $, have a look at the engine oil for glitter.
Rear drive seal prone to leak , and the speedo may not work. Look for wear on the brake discs as an indication of use / mileage
If the electrics don't all work perfectly , check indicators , neutral switch ,high & low beam , charging circuit - well its a Guzzi and you can sort it out - but may use a bargaining tool to bring the price back to half reasonable.
V50 's are great , you just gotta get a good one , or make it a good one.
For 100 mile runs you will have a blast.
Dave R

What Dave says above. They seem to be one of the more revered small blocks as the asking price shows, and are generally solid little bikes with basic maintenance. Best of luck with it... though you might consider a newer V7 at that price.

V50 Monza ... lovely little bike, and I do mean little. It's too small for this oaf, I'm a gorilla humping a watermelon when I ride one. But I loved riding them and didn't mind people laughing at me when I had one to ride. :)

The V7III Racer, and my beloved—never to be forgotten—Sportified 850T and LeMans V, are the right size for me. Small but not small, quick but not fast fast. Lovely balance of power, responsiveness, and handling, and I don't overwhelm them.

But I digress. If the '81 Monza punches your buttons, get a good one and make it perfect. Ride the heck out of it. Don't look at the money you're spending or the time you put in ... It all comes back in the end as pleasure and satisfaction. :D

Back