• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Stone range?

v7flier

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Anyone know if a 2-3 hr ride at 60-70 mph is something a V7 should handle 2+3 days / week, or is it better as a short range, perhaps townie bike, only?

I just took mine to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and back, 140 miles of it was dirt roads. It ran awesome. I would take it on a multi day trip for sure.

Attachments

• 93C2CFD1-B910-46A3-AEB3-5FB9DB20D471.jpeg
    93C2CFD1-B910-46A3-AEB3-5FB9DB20D471.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 9
YMMV

well, mostly city streets with good spirit of highway for my commute, considering I have not yet pushed the bike completely empty, I get about 300KM Per 14.5~L...so...that translate to ~49MPG

Also the furthest trip I done in one shot is about 150 miles...that is with my bladder super full and looking for the next pit stop LOL...

My is 2015 V7

The farthest single day ride I've done so far on my V7III Racer was just over 200 miles. (I only bought it in the first week of October and was out of town for seven of the remaining weeks between then and New Years ...) It performed brilliantly for that ride, just went on reserve as I arrived back near home, 48-49 mpg. The only downside was that I didn't have time to go farther.

When the weather warms up a little (and I'm healthy again, been battling pneumonia since I got home on Jan 5), Racer and I will be going lots of places, every day. I see no reason why you couldn't do 200+ miles every day.

Anyone know if a 2-3 hr ride at 60-70 mph is something a V7 should handle 2+3 days / week, or is it better as a short range, perhaps townie bike, only?

Ok so this seems to come up a lot.

Personally as much as I love my V7, it's low on my list of highway bikes.

But that's only because I have better tools in the box for that job. Both my Sporty and, more importantly, my RK, are more stable and comfortable on the highway.

That said, my V7 has NO PROBLEM at all with those speeds and it's fine for 200-300 mile days. So I don't see a problem with your usage EXCEPT the suspension is somewhat rudimentary and it's more susceptible to crosswinds than larger bikes.

So it's all kinda up to you and what you want.

Me, I'd probably choose a different tool.

Interesting.

While I would never consider buying a V7 bike for the long distance slabbing that I see people on their mega 1500cc touring rigs running, quite simply: that sort of usage I prefer to use my car for. I have a very nice car which can get upwards of 500 miles on a tank of fuel and run 120+ all day long on the superslab if there was any place where that was legal, with me in perfect comfort, on cruise control, diddling the stereo. :)

However, I really only want maybe one, maybe two motorcycles. And a reasonably light weight bike that I can travel and run a couple of hundred miles a day (basically, just a short two-hour ride before breakfast and another before lunch in my world of biking), wiggling around the curvy roads and doing sections of slab ... the V7 is ideal for that use. :D

The V7 will take you where ever you want to go, no fears.
As stated above: on an interstate the wind will move you more than a heavier bike but as long as you are aware of that.........

Just an FYI: Most every Guzzi I have owned settles in at 80 mph so 60 to 70 is no issue but you will want to keep it in a lower gear.
These engines do not like being "lugged" so do not be in a hurry to get into high gear.

Just an FYI: Most every Guzzi I have owned settles in at 80 mph so 60 to 70 is no issue but you will want to keep it in a lower gear.
These engines do not like being "lugged" so do not be in a hurry to get into high gear.

No engine likes to be lugged, but otherwise I'm in complete agreement. It is so effortless to quickly change up to top gear and settle into 80-85 mph on Racer ... as it was on my 850T, my LMV, and my 850T3! ... it's almost as if Moto Guzzi built in an automatic cruise control point right there for slab droning.

I find myself blitzing along on slower roads happily, smoothly, effortlessly in 5th and even in 4th gear: engine singing its glorious melody at 50-65 mph running 5500 rpm and thereabouts with joy, winging between torque peak and hp peak as Racer flies from corner to corner ... begging for more.

He's a sexy boy, my Racer. He just wants to play and play and play. :D

I once road a 350 Honda from Los Angeles to Seattle to Minneapolis to New Orleans and back to Los Angeles. I was only 20 years old and thought it was a big motorcycle, but once I got back it got traded in on a 750, which then made the trip to Minneapolis two more times. I rode the 750 36,000 miles in 18 months driving all over the Western USA.

Later on I rode a Honda CX-500 (Moto Guzzi wanna be?)two up and loaded with camping gear from San Francisco over the Sierra Nevada and down to Death Valley (and back).

More recently I have put in some 200 mile+ days on a 1975 Norton Commando 850. I know a fellow that recently rode a '75 Commando two up from California to Virginia.

I think a 750 Moto Guzzi will go as far and as long as you are WILLING to ride it. Probably trouble free! That said I have a 2016 Eldorado for most of my long distance stuff now (However, I am thinking of riding my Commando from Wyoming to California this July for the National Norton Rally). My recommendation is to give it a go. If it's too small, you'll figure it out soon enough and it may suit you just fine. Garwood.

I still don't understand why 750's nowadays are called "entry level" and "good for town use". Back in the day, 750's were the big bikes, and we toured on 500's and smaller. The 90's and 125's were the town bikes. Bikes are getting heavier and some of us are getting weaker, and shorter. The v7 will do a lot that is asked of it. So far, my longest ride has been 250 miles, and I got off ready for another comfortable 250.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the feedback I'm the guy with the leak on the bell housing; I am new to motor bikes, and it shows. I'm learning slowly, and loving it, thanks.

People say my V9 bobber is a "tooling around town" bike but I say it's an OK tourer with a few mods. Power and gearing-wise it's perfect for the freeway. It gets decent gas mileage. Maybe a bigger tank would be good (how big is the V7?). The forward pegs make for comfortable cruising and the fat tires soak up bumps and do not follow highway grooves. So, for a light-ish bike it's damned good. Now, the wind blast could use managing, and it needs luggage.

Given all that, I'd say the V7 III (with the same gearing) and a bigger tank would be just fine.

The V7III tank (I think it's the same as the II and I) carries 5.5 gallons of fuel, nominally. Of course there has to be some air space at the top and it's best not to run the pump completely dry, so the useful capacity is about 5 gallons. My reserve light flicks on at just under 4 gallons used. Since break-in was completed and with the Agostini mufflers and ECU re-map to suit installed, I'm getting between 45 and 47 mpg, Racer's range is sitting right around 190 miles to low fuel warning, and another 40-45 miles to go on the remainder without sucking fumes.

The Racer seating position, with the little front number plate/fly screen, takes most of the wind blast off my chest and shoulders, leaving my helmet to cut through clean air. I can tuck in when going quickly, the pegs are ideally placed to take my weight off my butt and control the bike, and the suspension is pretty darn good at soaking up bumps and road ripples. It doesn't seem too sensitive to cracks and lines either (at least when I have the tires properly inflated ... Front had gotten a little low and was tracking lines too much!). It's a very comfortable ride to go distances with, for me anyway.

Of course, almost any modern motorcycle can be used for touring, depending on how long between gas stops you're comfortable with and what your personal predilections are with regard to seating/handlebars/etc comfort might be. :D

Last edited:
I think the correct answer to the original question is the V7 will have no problems with most anything you are likely to ask of it. Whether or not the rider is up for it may be another story.
I have "toured" on an '82 Seca 400, DC area to Mosport in a day, spent the weekend there, then rode back Sunday through the night. You can do whatever the rider is up for on most any motorcycle in my experience.

Back