• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can bus error message

Patto

Just got it firing!
Hi I am repairing my 1400 California custom after a accident . I have fitted a used speedo but when switching the bike on it goes through the normal start up process but then shows "can bus error"
I still have to fit the new headlight and turn signals. Any help or ideas please
Thanks

Are you able to connect your original speedo (despite it being damaged) without the error appearing?

Changing the dashboard will mean you have to relearn the keys too (I think).

The original speedo was smashed so was unable to try , the used speedo goes through the normal start up and shows mileage ok , the fuel pump sounds like it has primed ready but nothing happens when the starter is pressed

You may need to marry your keys to the new keyboard.

To do this, go into "SERVICE" enter the service code (34534) and then select "CODE RECOVERY". Insert both keys when prompted.

I think you can insert a new user code at the same time.

the dash does not respond to the mode switch so unable to go into the menu to select service , is the dash unit married to the ecu so with it being a second hand unit it wont talk to it? . if I can find a work around it is looking like I will have to trailer to bike to the nearest dealer to have them plug into the ecu

I know this post looks resolved but just for the record, if you have disconnected the dash and are getting the CAN CODE ERROR after reconnecting an original dash, try using the original key block and if still doesn't clear then double check that the connection on the back of the dash is well home and clipped into place. If using a new key or dash then you will need to head off to the dealers to connect PADS for the ECU / Dash / key re-marraige

Last edited:
Good afternoon, I found your post, I have the same problem, Cali 1400 won't start, I also changed the tidy, if you solved your problem, tell me how? I live in Ukraine, we don't have a dealer.

Hi I am repairing my 1400 California custom after a accident . I have fitted a used speedo but when switching the bike on it goes through the normal start up process but then shows "can bus error"
I still have to fit the new headlight and turn signals. Any help or ideas please
Thanks

Be VERY CAREFUL in following advice here about matching your keys to the dash. I am not saying that it is not possible, but it is easy to get "down a rabbit hole" and end up with a dash that will not recognize any keys and the "red triangle of death" illuminates. Once that happens the only solution I have found is paying for the service of Carmo Electronics (do a web search. they're located in the Netherlends).

Back