• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Red triangle light

grmaster1

Just got it firing!
I am riding ways from home and the red triangle along with large letters SERVICE light up on the dash (right after I honked a couple of times).

Bike runs ok, no limp mode.

Ecu error 23
Dsb memory 08

Just did first maintenance 300 miles ago.

Thoughts?

I'm riding it home, 60 miles left!

ECU 23 is the left coil ground. If the bike didn't die may just be a momentary hickup. Is the service light still on. May want to check the battery and chassis ground connection to make sure it is tight since it happened after a power draw. There is also a ground on the coil itself. Check that also.

The DSB 08 is a low oil pressure alarm. Did you get the oil can also??. Assuming you have oil. The dash errors can be a red herring sometimes as they are kept in memory and never know when it happened. May have been from your last oil change as it can trigger if you didn't fill the oil filter. Clear it in the memory and see if it comes back

Is the service light still on. May want to check the battery and chassis ground connection to make sure it is tight since it happened after a power draw. There is also a ground on the coil itself. Check that also.

The DSB 08 is a low oil pressure alarm. Did you get the oil can also??. Assuming you have oil. The dash errors can be a red herring sometimes as they are kept in memory and never know when it happened. May have been from your last oil change as it can trigger if you didn't fill the oil filter. Clear it in the memory and see if it comes back

The red triangle with exclamation point is still on after clearing as well as the word "service" (in caps).

Oil level is at max mark cold (no oil can light came on), and I filled the filter.

Of note: the right aux (fog) light is out. Also, the battery still reads 14.2v while riding. I did install 5A fuse relays on both lights a day before this 300 mile round trip...

Electrical faults are never ease. Codes related to them can be red herrings as the system just throws a code that is triggered but never know if that code was the cause or the effect of the issue.

I would start with the following:

1. Assuming you reset the dash codes from the dash diagnostics. Confirm that the DSB 8 code is now gone and there are no others.
2. The Dash code clearing only clears DSB errors, it will not clear ECU errors. If you have software, check and clear the codes with that. If you don't, just unhook the ground on the battery for a couple of minutes. That should clear any codes in the ECU. Does not always work as software is the best but worth a try.
3. If the ECU code is still there, it relates to the ground on the coil. I am pretty sure that the left coil is number one as we had at one time confirmed that but not 100%. Check to make sure the connector plug is tight and clean on the coil. Also make sure the coil plug on the HT lead is seated and tight.
4. Make sure the spark pugs are in tight.
5. The ground wire for the coil trigger goes back to the ECU. Just check to make sure it is tight. It is either a Orange/Green or Light Blue/Green wire depending on which coil.
4. I can't really see how the left aux light would cause this, but you never know. I would just switch off the aux lights and see what happens.

Since you don't have and running issues i don't suspect it is a problem with the actual coil (or its ground for that matter) but give it a once over and see if anything obvious comes out. Hopefully a reset solves the issue.

Going to be a snipe hunt so be patient. It will be something simple, it always is.

Going on the source of another random missing earth error on a Norge, check the earth from the ECU to the frame. Make sure the connection to the frame is clean and tight.

This morning, I was ready to go over many things suggested by the forum but had to be somewhere first.

Started up, light and "service" were still on, a couple of stop signs and both warnings went out

Still need to check and replace fuses in aux lights for higher amperage...

That is not bad news. May never come back now. Just double check all the grounds including the ECU ground as Brian suggests.

I also believe there is an external ground for the coil itself. Not just the signal ground to the ECU in the plug. Should be a spade connector to the chassis but don't remember now and my Stelvio is all put away for the winter so can't check. Blue wire if my memory servers correctly.

As for the fuse for the aux lights. If it blew the fuse that was there, there is most likely a short in the housing. Well documented on this site. Fixing the short and putting a higher fuse will only cause more damage. They either need to be relocated or replaced with something that can withstand the vibrations. Some have been successful with just putting rubber isolators on the mounting bolt but not always the case.

If I recall correctly, the stock aux lights are 55 watts. A 7.5 amp fuse is more than sufficient for that wattage at 12 volts. A 5 amp would be borderline. The important thing is it prevents the 30 amp fuse from blowing which knocks out the lighting and charging.

That is not bad news. May never come back now. Just double check all the grounds including the ECU ground as Brian suggests.

I also believe there is an external ground for the coil itself. Not just the signal ground to the ECU in the plug. Should be a spade connector to the chassis but don't remember now and my Stelvio is all put away for the winter so can't check. Blue wire if my memory servers correctly.

There is, and it is in fact sky blue w/ spade connector and both of mine were a little more loose and floppy than I cared for upon the PDI (POST-delivery inspection) I did on mine after getting it. Doesn't hurt to slide them off, press with pliers, re-install.

After honking the horn a few times, the service/triangle message appeared again.

I remember, coincidentally, the first time error messages came on was after honking as well.

This time, the codes are ecu: 23 and 25...

This time, the codes are ecu: 23 and 25...

Those are ground errors for both coils. As advised earlier, go over all ground connection on the bike. Even the one under the starter cover. Some have moved that ground point to a different location such as an engine to gearbox stud.

Last edited:
I am riding ways from home and the red triangle along with large letters SERVICE light up on the dash (right after I honked a couple of times).

Bike runs ok, no limp mode.
Sh
Ecu error 23
Dsb memory 08

Just did first maintenance 300 miles ago.

Thoughts?

I'm riding it home, 60 miles left!
My '15 Norge did exactly the same thing. It burped and quit at a red light, I restarted it normally, the light and "Service" came on, with a code 23, left coil. The grounds everywhere are clean and tight. I even swapped out the oem battery for a Shorai lithium, still have the light and "service", however it doesn't show any codes. I reinstalled the oem battery, no change......light and "service"

My '15 Norge did exactly the same thing. no change......light and "service"

I checked the coils, tightened every damned wire, and, after a couple of starts, the light went out. Been out for about 800 miles since.

This Italian sensitivity transferred to their motorcycles

When I used to ask, in Italy, for my pasta to be cooked longer, Italians would cry

Back