• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

OEM Touring Seat after 8000 miles

roadventure

GT Reference
As noted in another post, I recently returned from an 8000 mile ride to California and back, on my California. My bike started life as a Custom model, but is dressed out as a Touring model.

I used a sheepskin cover from Alaska Leather on the seat. I have used a sheepskin cover on many motorcycle seats and find them to be very comfortable. As I told friends about how my ride went I noticed that one thing I never mentioned was the comfort of the seat. Thinking back over the trip, I did notice getting a little stiff and tired after 12 hours riding (on long days) but never noticed the seat. I found that I was able to slide forward a bit and back a bit (up against the rise at the back of the driver's portion). Being able to move a little like that plus having highway pegs to change my foot position periodically worked out very well. FYI, I am a typical fat American male (265lbs, 6ft tall).

So, I will "officially" have to conclude that the OEM Touring seat was comfortable for the entire 8000 miles. Through cold on the Pacific coast, to heat through the Utah salt flats, to a whole day of cold rain in Montana I was never distracted by thinking about seat discomfort.

We are all different, but if you have been thinking about spending big bucks to get a replacement seat for your California Touring, maybe you should put in a couple of 8 to 10 hour riding days on it and then be honest with yourself. You might just discover what I have. That is, I have the OEM touring seat and am happy with it!

Interestingly, I have a touring and swapped out its seat for a custom. Two reasons, one it was there and two the touring seat gave me bum burn after an hour of riding but not once did I think to put on a sheep skin . I like the custom seat but I'll give that a go to see how it compares. Cheers

Here is my saddle experience. I bought a 2016 Eldorado and rode it 1,000 miles home with the stock Eldo saddle. It wasn't bad.
Once home I put on a Hepco luggage rack, an MG top box, and a stock touring saddle. I then rode the bike 2,000 miles round trip from Wyoming to Minnesota and Wisconsin. By the time I got home I was ready to burn the touring saddle. The foam in it was so soft that after a very short while it felt like I was sitting directly on the frame. The last couple of days I was miserable. When I got home I ordered a Corbin replacement touring style saddle.
While waiting for the Corbin to arrive, I put the stock Eldorado saddle back on and rode 4,000 miles round trip to Virginia. Again, that saddle proved to be OK. Not great but OK. The big problem with it is it didn't work with the Hepco rack and top box.
When the Corbin saddle arrived I put it on and took off for an 800 mile, two day loop to Montana and North Dakota. The Corbin is quite good. At first its foam seemed too stiff and the cut a bit confining, but it proved to be pretty comfortable as the days wore on. I'm looking forward to this summer and some longer rides to really assess it.
Ultimately, I think the answer for me might be having Corbin rebuild my stock Eldorado saddle with their more solid foam. The combination of the nice, big, Eldo saddle that allows you to move around and the firmer foam might be just the ticket! But it still won't work with the Hepco rack and the top box.
Garwood. IMG 20170929 150431125 HDR

I went from the Custom seat to the OEM Touring seat to a Corbin. To be fair, the Custom was good for about 90 miles of riding, the Touring around 120 miles. The Corbin AFTER breaking it in ( it took a heck of a lot longer than the 500 miles advertised) is good for the whole day. I'm 6 ft and 240 lbs. A lighter rider may well be satisfied with the OEM Touring and find the Corbin difficult to break in. And there is the catch... results will vary.

I've put over 18,000 miles on the stock touring saddle and it is the most comfortable of any bike I've ridden. That said I know how tricky it can be and the only way to tell is ride for hours on any given saddle. Just my opinion but there are better things to upgrade on the bike than the saddle and I expect that your chances of getting a more comfortable one are no better than 50-50.

Like Roadventure, my 1400 began life as a Custom that I accessorized into a Touring. Unlike Roadventure, I’m a short guy 5’7”.

For me, the Custom seat was perfect for consecutive 800-mile days. My 5’ 10” wife hated it, so we replaced it with a Touring saddle. Not quite as comfortable in my opinion, but a great compromise for the two of us. Looked better with all the Touring accessories too.

We ride almost year-round as it only snows a couple of times each year here in the Georgia mountains. It does get cold however, so the Touring saddle was replaced with a heated Corbin saddle. The Corbin perch is heaven for both of us. Sharon says it is even better than our GL1800 Goldwing.

As others have mentioned, the Corbin does take a long time to break in. Even then, it is firm like the seat in a Mercedes automobile. If you’re not a crazy long distance rider, you may never fully appreciate the Corbin.

Bottom line: both Guzzi factory seats are great. Corbin much better, especially if you want heat and ride crazy long days.

We ride almost year-round as it only snows a couple of times each year here in North Texas. It does get cold however, so the Stock saddle was replaced with a heated Corbin saddle. The Corbin perch is heaven for both of us. The Pillion Princess (5' nothing and 110 lbs) claims it is the best bike seat she has ever sat on and LOVES the heater. And we all know...if mom aint happy, no one is happy.

As others have mentioned, the Corbin does take a long time to break in. Even then, it is firm like the seat in a Mercedes automobile. If you’re not a crazy long distance rider, you may never fully appreciate the Corbin.

Bottom line: The stock Guzzi factory seat id not so great for us. Corbin much better, especially if you want heat and ride crazy long days. or even if you dont. Wont be getting rid of the Corbin anytime soon.

Longrider, modded the above to fit my story, but your sentiment about the Corbin is spot on!!
Touringman[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any issues with the stock seat on my Cali Custom. Bought the Corbin primarily for the Mrs. to occasionally join me. I have about 10,000 miles seat time on the Corbin. It's great for a 500 mile day. After that, it's not as comfortable, but that could just be a factor related to my old butt.

Back