• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hello and which Guzzi

Cole Harvey

Just got it firing!
Hello,

Well its inevitable I will be getting a Moto Guzzi some time. I have ridden a new V7 and 2013ish Norge. For my sport touring needs I got a BMW K1300GT instead of the Norge.

The V7 was grand but it was just too small. I have only sat on a V9 Roamer. I like that is was bigger but I didn't like the saddle and the sharp angle on the side of the tank - it hit me right in the center of my knee.

First off, any easy options for different saddles and maybe a V7 tank on a V9?

My use for the bike is short trips and running around town. With that I had a crazy thought of taking a cheap used Norge and stripping away stuff. Somehow I doubt the result would be as nice as a V10 or V11 (other options I have been looking at).

Finally, I could consider killing 2 birds with bike, a Moto Guzzi and bike that would be fine on dirt - the Stelvio. A touring bike that will handle off road (hard pack, gravel, and some sand). I would look for a nice used one that I would be fine with dropping.

I welcome any ideas and thoughts.

Thanks,
Cole

Hi Cole, do some reading around each section, and you will find answers to most all of your questions including V7 > V9...
though note that the V7 and V9 are much the same bike, but yes a V9 can be made to be a V7; http://ridemalibu.com/bikes/v97/ (though not super simple or cheap).
An undressed Norge is a Breva 1100. Solid bike, but too close to your K13 to own both.

Stelvio is my most favorite and best Guzzi built to date, IMSO. It would replace your K13 though in no time flat... but by no means is it a light or easy around town bike like the small blocks.

Best of luck! Tough choices.

Todd, Thanks for info. I might take a closer look at the Breva. I have an around town bike, an '81 Suzuki GS850G. My friend just got a BMW GS1200 and is having a blast dropping it in the dirt and I want to join him. My preferred use of a motorcycle is touring and camping. So I guess I will take a test ride on a Stelvio.

Trout, The Griso aesthetics doesn't work me.

Thanks for info. I might take a closer look at the Breva... My preferred use of a motorcycle is touring and camping. So I guess I will take a test ride on a Stelvio.
Welcome. The Breva and your 850 will likely have too much overlap too. Stelvio is worth a ride. Light years better than the GS IMO, even on fire roads.

Trout, The Griso aesthetics doesn't work me.

You, Sir, are a philistine. :fubar:

Seriously, I felt the same way when they came out.

Now, however, as with single malts, I find them to be a grand acquired taste. Whichever Guzzi I am riding at the moment -- actually non here in these temps and brined roads at the top of Virginia :cry: -- is my favorite, but of the four in my present harem, my Griso makes me grin the most. It's a good thing I wear a full-face helmet (without intercom ;)) as I really do cheer like a drunken college guy at a Hail Mary touchdown when that Griso roars through the back roads. Only the Ballabio had a similar visceral appeal (for me).

So, while I am hardly free of my own aesthetic biases, that one sure faded.

PVe4BzJpQXuSi6MPcY3uAw thumb 4de6

Now, all of that said, the Stelvio seems to me to be about the best all-around (big) Guzzi ever. I used to say that about the B11, but the Stelvio is more versatile. Bear in mind that while I have ridden several for short bursts and know several folks who do, I do not own one -- I'd rather have four different motorcycle that do what it does. :giggle: But the Stelvio is a jack-of-all-trades and masters many.

Best wishes on finding what pleases you.

Bill

Bill that is exactly how I felt about the Griso until one came along at the right price.
Now it's one of my favorite all time bikes.
I don't even mind riding on dirt roads, grassy fields etc.

If I were buying a Guzzi right now, I would buy a leftover Griso. I believe there is a nice one at AF1 in Austin, Tx that is heavily discounted.
I have no use for a motorcycle SUV, so the Stelvio is out. Not really good at anything, gives up street performance to the Griso, and doesn't make a good dirt bike as it is too heavy and tall. But if you like the image they offer, to each their own.
The V7 / V9 based bikes are interesting, but if I didn't already have a big block Guzzi I would not want a small block. I have an old small block, but I also have a few big blocks. All of my Guzzi's are fun and entertaining bikes to ride. The Griso is the most useful of the bunch. I can sport ride it, tour on it, commute on it, solo, two up, whatever I need it to do. My only regret is that my Griso is an old 2 valve 1100, but even that isn't really a problem. It's only problem is the other Guzzi's I have sometimes obscure how awesome it is. Sometimes it is almost too good, to the point it doesn't stand out. It lacks that raw appeal many of the older Guzzi's have.

If I were buying a Guzzi right now, I would buy a leftover Griso.
That's exactly what I did in December 2016. I purchased a end of the year 16 Griso SE that they had just discounted to $11,500. Price was right and I couldn't resist. I had always loved the lines and curves of the Griso ever since I saw the Tenni Green Griso in 2012, striking to say the least. When I found out that the Griso was being discontinued at the end of 2016, I knew I had to find one while the getting was good. At the time, there were only three new ones left in the state. I have the big bike for long distance touring, but I was looking for something that was more agile, lighter and still powerful for local around town and short trips type of use.

As soon as I test rode the Griso, I knew it was the one. Over the last five years I've had three smaller Triumphs for local around town type of use, a 13 Bonneville, Sprint ST and a 4th generation Brat Thunderbird, but just about nothing I've owned in 43 years of riding has had the character, uniqueness and fun factor that the Griso has for local riding and short trips. Did I mention Fun factor, this thing pulls like a freight train. Over a year later and I still get that stupid looking grin on my face every time I mount it and take it out. I'm 57 years old and no matter how old I get, this one's a keeper and I'll ride it as long as I physically can.
Griso12

Back