• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

groan noise on take off

nitram777

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
I have a groaning noise on take off like it is binding some where. the noise only happens when cold for the first couple of take off when releasing the clutch. I purchased the bike at 17,000 km and I now have 21,000 km on it after 6 months of owning it. It is the Touring model. It started as winter approach here in Australia. Any advise or info would be appreciated.
Cheers Nitram

Sounds like a clutch groan if it goes away and only when cold. Do a search on the form for that and you will see plenty of post. Thought that only happened on the 8V models but I guess the clutches are similar. Somewhat normal. Clutch dust on the pressure plate that gets burned off after the first couple of starts from cold. Next time you are out, slip the clutch a few time when it is hot (ie. pull the clutch slightly in in 2nd gear and rev the engine. Only do it a couple of times for 3 or 3 seconds. That should cure it for a bit, but will eventually come back in a few months as the dust builds up again. I blow out my bell housing with every oil change and that seems to help.

I'm glad that someone else has experienced this problem as well as me now. I have had this same problem since my bike was new and like 777 says it only happens first thing in the morning or if it has sat for several hours during the day. The moaning does not sound like it is coming from the clutch area but more like the front of the motor or even the front fork / brake area. My situation is like this, I open the garage door and start the bike, back it out and down to the left off of the drive onto the grass which puts the bike on a upward slope, then I put the bike into gear and if I don't pay very close attention when releasing the clutch it will moan very loudly and stall the bike. You can even feel it in the handle bars. If I slip the clutch excessively I can get it going and once it starts rolling your good. Most of the time when it starts to moan and I have to pull the clutch in to keep it from stalling and usually two or three time before what ever it is releases. If I then park the bike in front of my house for a little while to load the saddle bags or what not it will do it again upon take off. Seems to help to turn down the traction control but that makes no sense as I would think that would limit power and help contribute to the bike stalling but shouldn't cause the aggressive moaning. Any ideas? I have been hesitant to bring up this issue since know one else has really said they had the same problem.

Still all the symptom of a groaning clutch including the feel in the handlebars (it resonates through the entire bike), but if it is happening to the point of stalling the bike then something is not correct. It should not drag that much. There have been cases of it stalling the bike on the 8V models and hate to say it, that resulted in the replacement of the clutch. May be as simple as a mis behaving clutch slave or low fluid but hard to diagnose here.

I would get it checked out by a delaer (and trust me it hurts to even say that). If it is not the clutch, then I am not sure what simple solution it would be. Does not sound brake related since you can roll it around. If there is enough resistance in the engine to stall the bike you are talking something major but to have it run perfectly fine after and the bike idles fine, makes me think drivetrain so either gearbox or clutch. Like I said, the symptoms fit the clutch issue on the 8V. Next time you are out, just try and burn the crap off the clutch like I suggested above and see if it gets better. If it does, at least you know where to look but I fear a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Just completed a 700 mile weekend and only did it first roll outs in the morning and if its on level or down hill slope it barely even does it at all. Seems to be really not like a little up grade first thing. Bike runs amazing after the first 10 feet in the morning. Bike has 11,800 miles on it.

This is not uncommon on all of the 8V motors, and seems worse with the heavier bikes. It's a heat/compound/dry clutch issue. Worse if the plates glaze from low speed traffic abuse or frequent slipping. Some older Ducati dry clutches did this, and the solution was a light WD40 mist to the plates frequently... done at the start of every AMA Pro Roadracing grid on Ducatis in the 90s.
Perhaps worthy of a quick shot to try. Pop off the rubber inspection hole plug, and with the bike at idle, clutch pulled in, spray a light/quick mist (not stream via tube) in. Work the clutch lever a few times. Let sit overnight and see how it does.

Hi guys thanks for all your advise.

These are the things I tried out so far in order.

1 Slipping clutch at 2000 rpm.
2 Blow clutch dust out of bell housing.
3 Sprayed clutch plate with brake clean working clutch at idle.
4 3 Sprays of WD40 on clutch plate working clutch at idle.

I completed these suggestions over the last 3 weeks to no avail.
Do I need to replace the clutch assembly to fix this problem ?
It works fine and never slips just makes groaning noises on take off when cold.

My California 1400 has the exact same issue with the clutch. The bike has less than 10,000 miles - a great deal of them touring miles - not so much stop and go riding. So far I have done nothing - as it only happens the first launch of the day and only if the bike has been sitting for a week or so. I have made a parts list and plan on replacing the entire clutch before the snow melts in Michigan. Very frustrating and expensive problem to deal with on a almost new bike. I do love the motorcycle but this sort of overhaul should not need to be done with such low mileage.

Did you eventually replace your clutch?

My bike has done it since almost new and since it only happens every so often on the first take off I have learned to deal with it. I can't imagine that replacing everything new would help for very long.

My Stelvio has also been doing it since day one. Blowing out the clutch dust every so often does help but it does eventually come back. It is now 5 years later and 60,000km. Did not replace anything...........

Hi all,
I have a groaning noise on take off like it is binding some where. the noise only happens when cold for the first couple of take off when releasing the clutch. I purchased the bike at 17,000 km and I now have 21,000 km on it after 6 months of owning it. It is the Touring model. It started as winter approach here in Australia. Any advise or info would be appreciated.
Cheers Nitram

Take a look at this. Does this sound like your problem?

Dave,

I couldn't help but notice your seat, would you mind sharing where you purchased it ?

Thanks

MY seat (not the bike in the video) is a custom cover replacement for the OEM Touring seat. The previous owner had it made. I think I have the maker's information. If I do, I'd be happy to pass it along.

FYI, the seat on the bike in the video is a CORBIN seat made for the MG California 1400.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Roadventure. At least I now know what I'm up against. Doesn't scare me to tear any of my bikes apart, makes me more confident about them.

My 2013 8V Stelvio had the clutch groan when cold that went away after 10 mins of riding. My 2016 Eldorado clutch is smooth as silk even when cold.

Back