• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My First Snowflake

PilotJet

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
So here's something I never knew. Left my girlfriends house this morning and it was a bit chili. 29 degrees f, so after scraping all the frost off the seat and instrument panel, I headed out ... only to see a snowflake symbol had popped up next to the mph indicator. I did not know that was there! Never remember ever seeing that in the manual or ever hearing about it. It went off somewhere around 37 degrees I think. What a Trip! My Griso let me know it was Freakin Cold Out!!!

Yeah 37, its supposed to notify you about a risk of "black ice." Mine was on half the time this winter (I commute on the Griso), this year sucked.

At least it doesnt make noise, my car bings below 37 degrees every time you turn it on.

Yeah 37, its supposed to notify you about a risk of "black ice." Mine was on half the time this winter (I commute on the Griso), this year sucked.

At least it doesnt make noise, my car bings below 37 degrees every time you turn it on.

No Kidding! First I ever heard about vehicles warning you that its Cold!

No Kidding! First I ever heard about vehicles warning you that its Cold!
Ive seen it become pretty common on modern bikes and the germans have been doing it in their cars since the 80s. Like said not really cold but specifically at 37 because of the risk of black ice. My 85 BMW did it but at least it didnt make noise. This new one does the triple bong.

Its at least dynamic, so its useful. Like if you started out at sea level and its 45 degrees but ride up into the mountains and it drops, it will come on the moment you hit 37.

Duncecap06 Having lived in Vermont most of my life, I got used to cold weather riding. Used to use Hippo Hands over the bars. Not a huge fan of extreme cold riding unless I'm on an Arctic Cat Panther. I have a sneaking hunch you realized it was a bit nipply outside before the light came on. Forget the snowflake, it should display a dunce cap for any of us dumb enough to be out below freezing.

The rubber compound of motorcycle tires is formulated to work at higher temperatures unlike automobile tires. By the time the snowflake appears, you are down to a temperature where they won't privide good traction. Also I've been told by tire guys, that the glass point (too hard to give appreciable traction) for motorcycle tires in near 27 degrees Fahrenheit, or -3 Celsius. Since learning this, once it gets near these temperatures, I'm on 4 wheels.

I've had no issues in sub-zero riding on the Guzzi. Michelin Pilot Roads. Yeah the compound is harder so I am not exactly scraping pegs but traction isn't an issue.

And like said, its not a general "its cold be careful" light. Its black ice. Its specifically 37 degrees for that reason, that is the maximum observed air temp ice can form (like the speed of sound "freezing temp" is relative).

View attachment 10139 Not a huge fan of extreme cold riding unless I'm on an Arctic Cat Panther. I have a sneaking hunch you realized it was a bit nipply outside before the light came on. Forget the snowflake, it should display a dunce cap for any of us dumb enough to be out below freezing.

I Know, Right!! Well, due to the lack of snow this winter, my SkiDoo stayed in the garage so I was making up for it on the Guzzi. Too Funny! I still think its strange that someone thought of putting a symbol on the display for when it gets cold.

I guess a snowflake won the design award. I wonder what design lost out? A blue puckered up frost bitten backside? Probably some guy named Tulio submitted a plan to an emblem of a guy with ice snotsicles hanging off his nose and got turned down and ridiculed.

The outside temperature warning has been around for quite some time. I had it on my 2005 Rocket III, which was my first snowflake.
Well, it's something I'm never going to see. If it ever did get that cold here (the day after hell froze over) I sure wouldn't be silly enough to ride in it.

The 37°F warning is set that way because of bridges and overpasses. It turns out that is the point at which frost can appear on the road surface of overpasses and such unexpectedly: when air temperatures drop to that point, even though ambient temps are 5°F higher than the freezing point of water, the air flowing around an overpass can create a temperature drop at the road surface and cause any moisture on the road surface to suddenly freeze hard, taking drivers unawares.

The first vehicle I owned that had this warning device was my 2006 Toyota Prius. I'll never forget it popping up for the first time as I headed east on I-80 past Salt Lake City, Utah, going up that long grade, and the message popped up on the car's display screen, "37°F - Water may freeze on overpasses." or something like that.

"Damn you, don't be a smartass Robot Car!" I yelled at it, and continued on my way. ... :)

The SNowflake seen fairly often through Winter... and in 2014 at the Brass Monkey.. -6. Done mind the cold to much.
Though does seem to test the battery...Have had to get a couple of jump starts int he morning cause just so cold.

Attachments

• Bass 2014.jpg
    Bass 2014.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 5
Back