• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early V7 Radial Tire Thread

I don't mean to be rude with this upcoming question, I may just be young and inexperienced, but don't you think after 38 years since your anecdote that tire technology has greatly improved? Don't you think if you had done that modification nowadays that it wouldn't have as much of an affect as it did in 1980?

Steering geometry that works hasn't changed in 100 years. Chassis and suspension have improved enormously, tire technology and brakes are light years ahead, but handling dynamics don't change because they are dependent on the physics of two-wheeled vehicle dynamics.

The V7III chassis is just an slightly improved version of a 1972-generation motorcycle chassis, with forks and good rear suspension, so 1970s technology is actually well worth considering when looking at how to modify its performance and handling.

so somebody who actually has put some miles on, how are the radials doing for wear on the V7 as compared to the stockers.
I don't have the numbers on hand, but the RAIIIs that I put on my V7R are wearing much better than the Sport Demons. I expect to get at least twice as much wear out of them if not more.

It makes sense. Despite most of my riding being twisties the Sport Demons nevertheless seemed to wear flat along centerline in my hands. The RAIIIs have a harder compound down the centerline which has so far shown itself to resist the tendency to wear flat so quickly.

Unfortunately that is the time/trend we are in right now. Glorified, actually. Knobby tires and brown seats are getting all of the money.
So interestingly enough for 2017, Guzzi actually lists the 110/80-18 & 140/70-17 as options on the V7. I have run these (Metzeler Klassik) sizes on many bikes, and they are OK. A 140/70 makes you pull the rear drive to get fitted.
I actually prefer the 110/80 Conti RAIII as it is Z rated, and transforms the bike. They only make a 130/80 rear offering.

Todd, is your preference for the larger 110/80 and the stock 130/80 RAIII combo have to do with feel, steering quickness or something else entirely?

Todd, is your preference for the larger 110/80 and the stock 130/80 RAIII combo have to do with feel, steering quickness or something else entirely?
Both of those, and the Conti RA III stock front size (100/90) is a little on the narrow side, though does not affect the bike, handling or traction of course. Both are good. As an ex-Pro Racer, I like what the 110/80 does to the bike, and I like the looks on the rim better (more modern look for those who care).

Both of those, and the Conti RA III stock front size (100/90) is a little on the narrow side, though does not affect the bike, handling or traction of course. Both are good. As an ex-Pro Racer, I like what the 110/80 does to the bike, and I like the looks on the rim better (more modern look for those who care).

Good info. Thanks. I thought the Conti's radials in the stock size would be narrower since the service width of the RAII's is a little smaller. So, I'll probably try the 110/80's next.

From my research, for those that are comparing:

Size/Model |Measured/Tested Rim Size|Rim Range|Service/Inflated Width(mm)|weight(lbs)

100/90 - 18 M/C 56H TL SPORT DEMON | 2.50 | 2.15-2.75 | 114 | 11.9
110/80 - 18 M/C 58V TL SPORT DEMON | 2.50 |2.15-3.00 | 125 | 12
130/80 - 17 M/C 65H TL SPORT DEMON | 3.00 | 2.50-3.50 | 147 | 14

100/90 R 18 M/C 56V TL ContiRoadAttack 2 | N/A | 2.50-2.75 | 108 | N/A
110/80 ZR 18 M/C 58W TL ContiRoadAttack 2 | 2.50 | 2.50-3.00 | 117 | 9.6
130/80 R 17 M/C 65V TL ContiRoadAttack 2 | N/A | 3.00-3.50 |138 | 13.6

(made the very large assumption that RA2 size/range specs are similar to the RA3. I couldn't find any data on the new RA3's)

Thanks for the specs comparison. What was your source for the size data?

egschade: Likely not, but they don't make them in that size any way according to continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

G

Thanks for the specs comparison. What was your source for the size data?

egschade: Likely not, but they don't make them in that size any way according to continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

G

Continental 2015 technical guide: .continental-tires.com/motorcycle/technology/technical-handbook
Pirelli 2018 Tyre Guide: pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-about-tyres/technical-data-book
DennisKirk.com had the weights.

And to add, based on the reciprocating mass differences, the RA’s are another score. Wow.

I ride on dirt/gravel roads and have had good success with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires. Would like to put them on my bike but when looking at the sizes, the front is bias while the rear is radial. I'm thinking it's a bad idea to mix the two types even if they are the same brand and tread. Thoughts? The only brand that has a matching set of DS tires that I've found are the Heidenau Scout tires which are too dirt oriented for my needs.

I ride on dirt/gravel roads and have had good success with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires. Would like to put them on my bike but when looking at the sizes, the front is bias while the rear is radial. I'm thinking it's a bad idea to mix the two types even if they are the same brand and tread. Thoughts? The only brand that has a matching set of DS tires that I've found are the Heidenau Scout tires which are too dirt oriented for my needs.
Non-radial 80/20 options:
Kenda 761 (TL)
Shinko 705 - use 4.10-18 front (TT)
Options that require using a rear tire on the front - mount reversed
Avon AV54 Trailrider (TL)
Continental TKC70 (TT)

The Pirelli MT-60r radial is available in 110/80-18 but only offers a 120/70-17 rear which I think will be too small. The Metzler Tourance dual compound radial DOES come in the correct rear size. What are folks thoughts on mixing brands of similar style (90/10 street/dirt) tires?

Other option is the Pirelli MT-60 bias tire on the rear (not available for front) which is the same tread pattern. That means radial front - bias on back. Also sounds sketchy...

So when I read this..

rideapart.com/articles/motorcycle-tire-question-radial-bias

It appears that we can mix and match bias and radial. Had to research and replace my not worn out rear SD with a SAIII due to nail damage. Keeping the SD front on until it wears out.

Cheers
Min

Back