• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Racer with riser bars

No, as they are fork mounted “clip ons.”
The 40mm tubes make it more difficult.
Easiest option is to put bars on it. I have the stock risers;

And (Speed) Bar in the online Store;

Tx
Was the existing wiring sufficient to make the conversion? And was this on your V7111 Racer? would you have a pic ot ot installed. Tx
Gary

Gary - I recently did this ... need to get some pics up.

I got the kit from Todd's online STORE above (stock Stone handlebar mounting parts) and the LSL Speedbar.

So you need to pull off the top triple clamp (yoke), slide off the stock Racer clip ons, then mount up the handlebars in the normal Stone location.

No problems with cables/wires. You can even use the stock Racer clutch cable as-is (I had bought a Stone clutch cable thinking that would be needed, but not so with the LSL speed bars).

And a few other items to sort out. I bought a left side stock MG grip to put on the new LSL bar. Then you gotta figure out how to handle the bar ends ... you'lll have the nice stock MG bar end weights with nothing in the new LSL bar to attach them to. (In my case I switched to bar end mirrors at the same time, so no issue for me)

I find this new bar just right for me. With the stock Racer I was fine for ~1 hour rides, but once I started getting to the 1.5hr - 2hr mark it was just too much of a lean forward for me. With the new bars it is great.

oh, both of the plastic switchgear pieces have locating pins/tabs on them that fit into holes on the stock clip on bars ... so you will need to remove those plastic "pins" so that those will work on the new bars.

I removed the switch gear pieces, taped up the area well with masking tape, and used a dremel to grind the plastic tab away.

Hey Usedtobefast?

How close a riding position is this to the Stone or the Special?

Also why did you get a "left side stock MG grip to put on the new LSL bar"?

Thanks
Maya

Hey Usedtobefast?

How close a riding position is this to the Stone or the Special?

Also why did you get a "left side stock MG grip to put on the new LSL bar"?

Thanks
Maya

I haven't measured anything, but seems this set up is still many inches lower than a Stone/Special.

If you really wants to go nuts, check out cycle-ergo.com
That site has ergonomic numbers for a large number of motorcycles. you can put in a V7 Racer and a Stone. Then you can increase the Racer's handlebar rise, either 2.5" or 3.0" based on my pics. Then compare that to a Stone.

As for grips, in the end, I assume you want the right & left grip to be the same type/brand. The right grip stays on the throttle tube, moves over to the new bars, so no change there.

For the left grip, seemed low chance of success to remove the stock one from the clip-on bar and then glue it on the LSL bar ... it is glued on very solidly and would require quite a bit of work to get it off and then you gotta hope you don't damage it in that process. If you go to a nearby moto shop and buy a pair of non Moto Guzzi grips, then (if you want matching) you gotta pull off the stock MG throttle grip, which I believe is vulcanized to the throttle tube? So that'd drive a person crazy. You could go cheap and cheesy and put a non stock grip on the left side and leave the stock grip on the right side (a pair of non MG grips were around $12-$14 at a nearby moto shop).
A new stock MG left side grip was ~$23 so I just bought that. For me, that meant no hassle removing the original left grip, and in the end right/left grips match, and I've always found new grip/new bars are a great combo for the grip staying glued on well.

Interesting ergonomics site! :) Thanks for posting that.

Regards the grips: I'd go with the Moto Guzzi grips for one reason: they got them about right on overall diameter, thickness, density, and pattern on the V7III Racer (and I presume the other V7IIIs). On most of my other bikes over the years, I've had to change the grips almost immediately to get what I wanted, what felt comfortable to me. This is one of the only motorcycles (or bicycles) I've ever owned that had good grips right off the showroom floor. In fact, they're so right that I never even thought about them before this moment! That's near to astonishing for me...!

:D

Maybe its already been asked. I know it can be done, I know what I need to buy, my question is, will the standard rearset foot pegs interfere with riser bars regarding ridingposition? And may I see just 1 converted bike. Preferebly a '13 model.

Thanks

Thanks , but i think one has to change the foot oegs also, these in the photo are changed for sure
You are correct, I forgot I did that also. I've done a few bar conversions on older Racers with OEM rearsets, no issues for seat/peg/bar.

Maybe its already been asked. I know it can be done, I know what I need to buy, my question is, will the standard rearset foot pegs interfere with riser bars regarding ridingposition? And may I see just 1 converted bike. Preferebly a '13 model.

Thanks
Dang if you weren't so far, I'd do a swap with ya. Got a 15 V7 stone and would gladly trade my bars and pegs for the racer stuff.

Back