• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS Connections on V7 II & III's?

John Zibell and other long-timers here will likely snicker when they see me responding to a technical question, even a modest one, involving Guzzi electrics. :giggle:

But, here goes: The connector in post #4 is the TomTom connector that is on V7 II's, but not III's. Yes, it's "switched."

I installed a connector for an SAE lead directly to the batteries on my own V7 II Stornello and to my brother's V7 III. I use mine solely for charging; he, for electric jacket and gloves. No issues.

Trust that is responsive. If not, heckle away. ;)

Bill
Bill - Thanks for your response. I'm hoping to avoid multiple direct battery connections if it's possible to do so. I'm confident that I'll need to make a direct battery connection in the case of battery tender pigtails. If they're connected to a switched circuit, no charging will occur when the ingition is off. What I still hope to discover is whether heated grips (drawing less than 4 amps, less than 50 watts) can share this circuit with the headlights and the "Blue Dash prewiring" (whatever that might be) without overloading the fused 15 amp circuit. It's nice to have heated grips on a switched circuit and it would avoid another set of ring terminals on the battery or an Eastern Beaver type solution. I suspect that the answer is I need to know what the maximum headlight draw is and the draw, if any, from the "Blue Dash" to know if there's enough room for heated grips at this location. If it helps to clarify my question, I'm not concerned with alternator output here, simply available room on this circuit. I'm hoping that those who might snicker at your weighing in on modest technical questions may have an answer. Cheers. Quick edit and update: Just discovered that the "Blue Dash prewiring" is the plug for the Guzzi Multimedia Platform. So the draw there is nothing if that's not wired in and very modest if it is plugged in.

Last edited:
No idea if this is something you wish to pursue.

My Avatar was a stripped down 74 850T.
I did not want switches so I used a 3 terminal oil pressure switch that energised a relay that turned on the headlight/running light/brake light circuit.
If you have room to add in a relay you could run the power directly from the battery to the relay & use a hot wire when ignition is on to activate the relay.
From the relay you can run your accessories.

Thanks Trout. I've more or less persuaded myself that I can run heated grips off of the USB plug wires. If the headlight is a 55/60 watt bulb, I'm using 5 amps for that item. The addition of heated grips adds an additional 4 amps to the circuit. My thought is that 9 amps isn't an excessive load. However, I welcome criticism of my reasoning from folks with more experience in such matters. My alternative plan is one of these. https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3CS-HD/3cs-hd.html

The cycleshell has very good reviews, but they do not ship outside of the continental US. They are heavy and shipping would cost a ton. Cannot even get them to ship to Canada. :(

Regrets on that shipping issue, tho can you not have it shipped to someone or a business (e.g., UPS Store) in, e.g., Bellingham, and go get it? Not sure about duty issues, etc., but you don't look to be that far off from a Washington State solution.

I have to say that I actually prefer the BB over the CS. Yes, the latter has a "floor," but, IMO, that is a negative, not positive, feature.

Unless you have a very light m/c - and I can't recall what yours is -- the floor is a hollow-core plastic item that "sinks" under weight. That can make things interesting when one tries to push back and off. The closing system seems less robust, too.

Now, I do think the CS is a quality product but both it and the BB seem overpriced for the materials and construction. Still, they do the job of protection one's machines, especially if you understand their limitations and take steps to reduce those by, e.g., "battening down the hatches!" in bad weather.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill;
I did inquire about having it shipped to a PO box in Bellingham, but was told they would not do that. I think the BB will be the way I go.
My M/C will very soon be a 2018 Motto Guzzi V7 III Carbon Shine.

^^^^^^^

Congrats on Carbon Shine, but careful with double tee in Guzzi, as it's mighty close to "matto" ... i.e., "crazy" in Italian.

Hmmmmm. Mebbe not so wrong WRT Guzzisti. :giggle:

As for the BB, etc., I think that's fine, for reasons previously stated. Cared for, it'll last several years.

That said, before plunking down hard cash, do wander the web a bit more as there may be more solutions out there.

And, if you do get one, consider -- despite the (relatively) small size of the V7 line -- getting a larger BB than it needs. Subject to security concerns, of course, the BB is handy for storing all sorts of m/c and other stuff, and those can even be part of the "trie-down" system.

Bill

The cycleshell has very good reviews, but they do not ship outside of the continental US. They are heavy and shipping would cost a ton. Cannot even get them to ship to Canada. :(
I am planning to ship to the border then pick it up...

There are some mail box office in blaine that has large box for rent...cost a bit more than normal PO box, but USUALLY easier when it is shipping ANYTHING to the GWN AKA Canada LOL...

I shipped a few snowboards & tires that way.

Last edited:
Back