• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Racer III Tires

Gary Byrne

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I have a 2017 Racer 111.
Only 450KL

BUT the tires feel like they have flst spots.

Returned to dealer rebalanced then.
Same flat spot thump thump and she said that's just an MG.
I can't beleive that can be correct.

Im going to junk the Pirelli Tires.

New to MG . Is there a best recommended tire that people have experience with.
And The problem feels mostly in the front.
Can I safely mix tire brands and tread patterns.

Todd is helping me with a fork kit as well.
But irrespective these Pirellis Demons have to GO.
Tx
Gary in BC

Maybe the bike sat for a long while without being moved, but I wouldn't think newer tires would develop a flat spot. I put a Michelin Pilot Activ on the back of my V7 III Special, 5500 miles ago, and really like it. Haven't changed the front yet. That is fairly rude of your dealer personnel to say it is just a Moto Guzzi trait. She shouldn't be employed there.

Maybe the bike sat for a long while without being moved, but I wouldn't think newer tires would develop a flat spot. I put a Michelin Pilot Activ on the back of my V7 III Special, 5500 miles ago, and really like it. Haven't changed the front yet. That is fairly rude of your dealer personnel to say it is just a Moto Guzzi trait. She shouldn't be employed there.

i ddi give that some thought but after 450Kl flat spot if any should be gone.
I also thought it might be the cold. Temp never got above 10 degrees C.
but I rode 1 02 hours at a time so should be warmed up.

I am thinking a bad Pirelli. do you know of anyone else with a problem like this.

Tx
Gary in BC

Gary, as I stated direct email, if the dealer isn’t of help, perhaps try a smaller independant shop that sells Pirellis (and Continentals), as they often have the means to easily deal with tire issues like this. My distributor does.
Tires: See the radial tire thread in this section. Continental Road Attack III - fantastic tire finally for the V7. Mix and match is fine, but if it were me, I’d do both and never look back.

Your are right Todd. Life to short to screw around with dealer or Pirelli.

I'll just bite the bullet and swap out the Pirelli's.
I will sell them cheap if anyone really likes these stock items for a 2017 Racer 111.
Gary

Sounds like you already have a plan ... but just FYI, I have a 2017 Viii Racer with stock tires, no thumping of flat spot feeling, so certainly not some odd Moto Guzzi thing that you were told.

Sounds like you already have a plan ... but just FYI, I have a 2017 Viii Racer with stock tires, no thumping of flat spot feeling, so certainly not some odd Moto Guzzi thing that you were told.

Tx for that feed back.
a great bike so I will not be deterred by this problem. New Tires and Todds Front suspension upgrade and good to go.

A driving question. I am used to Harley so seems to like low 3000 RPMs.
The racer seems to like 4000 which for now is the break in red line.

what is your experience for best riding RPM performance?
Tx
G

Tx
Gary

Tires: I'm not impressed with the Pirelli Dragons either. Soon as my new wheels get in at GTM, I'm heading down to over haul the suspension front and rear and will replace the Pirellis with Conti RA3.

RPM: These Guzzi 750cc motors are revvers. Zipping up to Livermore and back today (about 50mi each way) on freeway and back road, I found myself between 4000 and 5500 most of the time (will a fully run-in motor now, just hitting the 1800 mile point). That's where they run the sweetest, although it's a very tractable engine too and will putter about at 3000 rpm smoothly under light throttle. The motor doesn't appreciate big throttle under 4000 rpm very much except in the lower gears where it zings to redline in a hurry if you wack open the throttle. :D

Not familiar with the small block engines but most of my Guzzi's like the 5000 mark.
Better to rev than to lug.

^This

Don't lug it...anything below 3000RPM actually will do some harm to the engine.

My runs sweet between 3500~5500...depends how I twist it

Back