• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Purgatory ...again.

Ste

Not firing
4000 rpm, no power. Feels like fueling. checked the pump, changed the fuel filter. same thing. at exactly 4000, it bogs. checked the clutch switch. checked and cleaned the map sensor. restored the stock ecu map, removed todd's pc/autotune fuel package, swapped the wide-band sensors for stock. ...same thing.

gave up and brought it to the dealer. new coil. injectors check out. one week later, they are still talking to piaggio italy.

meanwhile, i picked up a ktm 1290 superduke gt. it's a revelation. an upright, razor-sharp wheelie-pulling "touring" v-twin bagger with 175 hp and 106 ftp torque. blindingly quick. no hanging throttle. ignition switch seems pretty solid. warped heads seem unlikely. the austrians seem pretty serious about their engineering.

after a reasonably happy life with 4 guzzis. i may be done. i'm getting too old to dick around with the quirks in the current batch of guzzi's piaggio/aprilia offerings.

and with the ktm i'm learning to ride again. my apple watch is congratulating me for getting my heart rate up.

I hope i'm not just chasing a new pretty girl, but piaggio has got to come back very strong in addressing this latest problem if they want to keep me in this abusive relationship.

end rant.

i'll keep you posted on the resolution.

You couldn't have 2 more different bikes. The Super Duke is an amazing machine. A friend has a Duke 690 and a 1290 Super Duke R and he loves them both.

Nothing at all wrong with chasing a new pretty girl. If your happy, then onward good sir.

Except that, just like a pretty new girl, that KTM is gonna get you into a whole lot of trouble (with the law). 175 BHP does that. It's why I chopped in my FZ1 for the C1400 on the advice of the nice VPD officer giving me my 3rd speeding ticket on that bike (don't ask)

KTMs are not without their problems either - I seem to recall KTM had a problem with air boxes on their adventure bikes and shit getting into the engine with catastrophic results

Genuinely sorry to read about the problems you're having though. Please do follow up with the result, I'm sure we'd all like to hear what's causing it.

Last edited:
I had a simular problem at that rpm. The bike would rev, hit 4k no power, then go again. Turned out that I had the traction controll turned up too high and once reduced from " 3 " to " 2 "... problem solved.

I rode up to the dealership yesterday to straighten out a parts order that went awry (my mistake). Talking to the finance person there, Nancy, she stopped me at one point and said, "You know everytime you refer to the Racer, a shit eating grin comes across your face." That's all I need to know. :D

thanks luftwolf. a reset of the ecu defaults it to "tc off" so i'm pretty sure my solution won't be as simple as yours. however, i think it's worth checking the software and circuitry of the tc system.

Last edited:
Except that, just like a pretty new girl, that KTM is gonna get you into a whole lot of trouble (with the law). 175 BHP does that. It's why I chopped in my FZ1 for the C1400 on the advice of the nice VPD officer giving me my 3rd speeding ticket on that bike (don't ask)

KTMs are not without their problems either - I seem to recall KTM had a problem with air boxes on their adventure bikes and shit getting into the engine with catastrophic results

Genuinely sorry to read about the problems you're having though. Please do follow up with the result, I'm sure we'd all like to hear what's causing it.

it's all about self-control i guess. and fear. i'd never been on a 10-second bike. closest thing was a v65 magna. times have changed. it shouldn't be surprising. a late- model toyota camry will smoke most of the muscle cars of my youth.

thankfully the ktm's got an embarrassingly juvenile akrapovic pipe that barks and thumps the chest as a ferocious reminder of my civic responsibility to the motoring public. i'm consistently short shifting it for noise reduction -- and maybe out of habit after year of lugging big torque twin cruisers. still looking for that heel lever. i think i'd be more likely to run it up to 11k redline with the euro 4 exhaust. so, the akra pipe is for safety ...really.

as for reliability, i'm unlikely to keep it beyond the warranty. a performance bike like this is unlikely to become a classic. i think the v4's are in ascendance and the electrics are very close behind. i'm likely move on. i kept the white c1400 touring beyond the warranty because i felt it might be one the last of the beautiful air-cooled italian twins. the look and sound of that 1400 with the mistral slip-ons made me smile every time. i still hope to be getting back on it soon. but still no solution from piaggio.

Back