• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

SP1000 Broken shifter return spring

profwacko

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I have an '83 SP1000 on my lift with the frame crabbed.

It is stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, I am told by the owner (a buddy of mine) and we are guessing that this is caused by a broken shifter return spring.

This bike rode and shifted really well last I was able to test ride it a few months back. The bike has about 95k miles on it and seems to be in pretty solid overall condition.

My questions for The Illuminati are as follows:

1. Since the gearbox is still attached to the engine, is it possible to remove the output shaft nut without the special tools shown in the V1000 G5 SP1000 service manual (pg 70)?

2. How much more complicated is it to get the cover off of the gearbox, considering that I cannot get it into neutral?

3. How likely is it that all I will need to do is replace the return spring to get this gearbox shifting again?

4. Should I just cut my losses and take the gearbox to Mike Haven to repair?

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (shiftless in Bastrop, Tx)

A rattle gun and deep socket will remove the shaft nut.

When this happened on my SP, I managed to replace the spring (which was broken) by just removing the back cover, though it was very fiddly to do, so I'm not sure I would suggest others tried it.

It would be best to remove the gearbox from the engine. When you remove the output nut be sure to nut misplace the little steel ball. If it isn't in neutral doesn't matter, you will just lift the gear shafts and shift drum until you can free the shift drum from the pawl. To be stuck in gear may be a bent shift fork and not the return spring. You should be able to manually re-center the selector and change gears if the spring were broken. Once you get stuck in gear sorted, I would go ahead and replace the input and output bearing with steel cage bearings. The bearing is a 3205, 25x52x20.6 If you don't have the special tools to remove the hub gear, I'd suggest taking the gearbox to a place that does.

I should have said the bike will only shift between 2nd and 3rd.

It is not stuck in one gear, which is why it's likely that the only issue is the return spring.

When does the little steel ball fall out? is it when you remove the output shaft nut or when you actually remove the cover?

The ball is the key for the speedometer drive gear, right?

My experience with a broke return spring is different.

The shifter would kind of flop down & feel loose.
I could get it to change gears but it was like trying to flip pancakes with a rubber hose.

I should have said the bike will only shift between 2nd and 3rd.

It is not stuck in one gear, which is why it's likely that the only issue is the return spring.

When does the little steel ball fall out? is it when you remove the output shaft nut or when you actually remove the cover?

The ball is the key for the speedometer drive gear, right?

If you can shift between gears and the lever moves to a center position then it isn't the shift return spring. The little ball can become lost when you remove the nut, but more likely when you remove the speedometer drive. One of the splines on the output shaft is much longer and the little ball rests in that groove and an indentation in the speedometer drive part. It really sounds like you haven't been in one of these 5 speeds. I suggest you take the gearbox to someone that is familiar with them, or get assistance from someone who is so you can learn how to go into them. Again it is sounding like a problem with a shift fork, or shift collar.

Back