• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

oops....griso dropped

speedcraft

Tuned and Synch'ed
I had my front end wash out in some left over winter cinders…..dropping the bike on the right side. I bled off most of the speed before hitting.

Little scrape on oil cooler, pillion peg and carc housing……..engine head guard is ground down (but did its job), lost a mirror……but worst is the rear brake bracket broke not the pedal. I think that is in fact a large right side plate….have not got the bike home yet to check.

Any suggestions for parts…..I did not mind the mirrors, but I had to tuck my elbow in to see properly and I am open to suggestions (an online place to buy / look).

That side plate is going to be an issue I am sure….

rdl

You can get a mirror from MGCycles (I got one the other day - not an exact match but good enough) - you might want to get a set of mirrors for the 1200 Sport, I hear good things about them. As for the side plate you may have to order one from a dealer or you can try and have it welded up - but it will take a good hand to keep all the mounting points aligned.

Good luck -

I have been looking for the 1200 mirrors have not seen any yet...and MGcycle does not have a pair of the griso ones. Is there a specific bar end one that fits?

The plate is a different story and will keep me off the road.....it is a clean break and looks cast I think it hit befor the pedal did.

are there any options for the head protectors?

at the moment the only guzzi dealer around here seems to be Ferracci.....and they are really not talking guzzi (with the whole HD buy out mess).

rdl

BTW....I seem to remember someone else had that plate break listed on the old board. Vibrated off the kick stand while closing a gate.

rdl

I would have thought a good alloy welder could sort it for you, though it would never look as new again. But much cheaper and quicker than buying a new one.

I was too embarrassed to write about this earlier but dropped my Griso too,,,
While pushing it around to get in position for a little rinse and wash. Just lost balance and it tumbled over!
Hardly a scratch but that same plate I think you are thinking of broke. Seems brittle, if you ask me.

Once again I lucked out. My dealer gave me the plate of his bike and then days later fixed the broken one for his own bike.
I heard he somehow fixed that plate well enough for temporary use,, not sure how,, sorry.

I wouldn't be surprised if that plate plate breaks on most drops,,, and therefore a part I suggest dealers keep in stock, (if they can afford to)

Nick

speedcraft wrote:
I have been looking for the 1200 mirrors have not seen any yet...and MGcycle does not have a pair of the griso ones. Is there a specific bar end one that fits?

The plate is a different story and will keep me off the road.....it is a clean break and looks cast I think it hit befor the pedal did.

are there any options for the head protectors?

at the moment the only guzzi dealer around here seems to be Ferracci.....and they are really not talking guzzi (with the whole HD buy out mess).

rdl

Try MPH for the 1200 Sport mirrors, they seem to usually have them in stock.

or try any Aprilia dealer as the mirrors are on most of their bikes; tuono, mana, shiver etc.

I've welded up two with no problems, but it was a great aerospace welder who knew what he was doing... new ones are not too expensive either

I had an accident last year when a district nurse rammed me from behind in stationary traffic causing me to lay my 06 griso down damaging the oil cooler cover, head guard, brake lever, bar end weight, carc and the large black carrier plate on the right side. As a result I got a brand new plate but it differed from mine in that it had a dished recess halfway up instead of a plastic bung so the two sides wouldn't match up. I ended up repairing the damage to the old one so I have a brand new one sat in my garage unused. If you are struggling to get a replacement part let me know, maybe I can help. I've also got a carc unit with a very tiny mark on it too..... I am however in the Uk....

Well we all seem to know exactly what gets scraped and broke when you drop it on the right......if I had trashed the carbon fiber mistral can on the left it would have been far worse. The first thing I said...that was not obscene, was that I am not the first one to drop a griso...and I remember reading about someone else who had that plate break.

They could have used a small brake bracket....instead of the whole plate sticking down. I need a head guard but the rest is minor and will buff out.

I just had a long debate about the mirrors.....my triple has clip-ons and a bar end mirror....my Alley has great mirrors, but how far do you want to go on a pantah 650 in a day......the guzzi I will take 650 miles in a day, which gets me places that I don't know and I need mirrors (because I am looking at the garmin and dealing with traffic).

I did not feel the need to replace the stock mirrors....but now I have to and the 1200 sport / aprillia are a clear choice.

There is a t1 and t2 version of that plate....and although not cheap.. Todd can get me one. I need to get the bike home (weather has been bad) to see the damage......my buddy says there is a seam in the plate where it snapped clean (an easy weld).

I don't know which is less cool ..... everyone knows I will show up this weekend in the old lexus, because I dumped the guzzi, have the del orto's off the cagiva and the yamaha tires are from '87.........

or that they will all know that I walked a quarter mile to my buddy's house (after I dumped the bike) to get him to help me lift it back up (I did not want to hurt my back).....I have not dumped a bike since '83 and I am sure the yamaha is at least 50 lbs heavier....had it back on two wheels when it was still running....ehhh back in '83. I tried once on the guzzi and decided it would be better with help (it was on a major downhill grade).....nothing to do with my age......

By the way .... is there a name for those black and blue marks on the inside of both knees after you dump a guzzi? They are another unique guzzi feature!.....goose bung?

cheers,

rdl

I have been delayed in my quest for parts....dropped the guzzi on thursday..

then on sunday this happened........what curse is my ex using on me now?

OWE... OOOO My Eyes.. That is not right! Sorry to see that... Hope your Karma changes soon!

Ouch that sucks about the tree on the LS.

I let a friend of mine ride my bike yesterday after picking it up from the dealer for the camshaft recall stuff. He dropped it down on the left side around a corner lucky the bike never touched the pavement but skidded through some grass and soft black dirt.

My buddy is fine just bruised his shoulder and hurt his pride. Got lots damage, but the bike was able to be ridden another 60 miles with no shifter lever that was fun... :angry:

I went with the cheapo bar end mirrors from ebay, better view than stockers and cheap, but I dont have the stock bars so I dont know issues with installing them on stock bars. The plate welds up easily, I bought a new one from the fine folks at MPH, but as I seem to toss my griso down a bit, a backup is nice.

well...I can't thank Todd at http://www.mphcycles.com/ enough.....

he took care of everything....quick and clean! (by email and on the phone)

I bought a new side plate......but did a nice tracing of it....and then had the broken one cut and welded to match the template....

so I have a good spare....

I took Pete Roper's advise on the 1200 sport / aprilia mirrors.......so I can look at the dash and check what's behind me in a glance......uhhh why did the bike not come that way???? it is just a few inches in change.....I had to tuck my elbow before.

I wanted to blame the drop on the front metzler...but found out that they do indead have a wear bar (look for the twi) and it is OK.....so I hit winter cinders under braking with good tires.....it happens! (I do think that the brembos "come on" with some heat....I have some cars that do that.....when you have constant braking....the pad warms up and it starts grabbing more).

I have some great rides set up for early july (northern PA / finger lakes)....and a big run to Mid-ohio for the vintage days......

anyone interested...let me know.

I will post new pics of my "fixed griso" soon!

as always..thanks for the help...

rdl

Dropped my bike pushing into garage, right side, just scuffed up in a few spots. What really irritated me was the fact that I had to push it in due to my bike not starting due to the fuel line recall issue that wasn't fixed by the dealer (I had to inform them of it!). It certainly is a heavy bike, especially when it's fallen on your leg and foot.

Back