• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

The 180 Avon has been great, hangs on well in wet or dry and has given consistent Ks on our rough Kiwi roads, I also changed the front tyre size DOWN to a 120/70ZR18 Pilot Road 4 GT, which has helped handling heaps, seems to turn in nicer with the 180 than the original tyre.Michelin Pilot Road 4's would be my tyre of choice if only they made a 16 or Guzzi had used a 17 "rim. I am happy with this combo but will probably try a Commander 2 on the back next time mainly to pair up the Michelins. I have also gone to a heavier weight Fork oil,, that also made a noticeable difference in and out of corners,10 weight from memory.35000k loving it.

Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the 120-70 would further improve the handling. I like the Avon’s on the custom. You can run them aggressively right to the edge. I wonder if we could find someone that makes a 17” rear wheel for this bike.

wonder if we could find someone that makes a 17” rear wheel for this bike.
Short cheap answer, no. Can it be done(?), yes. I laced a set of wheels for our friend Nat as shown below. 3.5x18 & 5.5x17 aluminum rims sealed to run tubeless Sport-Touring radials. Set is $2200 or so as shown with stainless spokes and nipples. The shocks shown are 20mm longer than stock also, making the tire appear shorter and the tire gap larger. It was amazing in this configuration.

7EA4F214 3BDF 44D2 A7EB 33EB1EDCE26F

Short cheap answer, no. Can it be done(?), yes. I laced a set of wheels for our friend Nat as shown below. 3.5x18 & 5.5x17 aluminum rims sealed to run tubeless Sport-Touring radials. Set is $2200 or so as shown with stainless spokes and nipples. The shocks shown are 20mm longer than stock also, making the tire appear shorter and the tire gap larger. It was amazing in this configuration.

View attachment 13924

I really like those Todd. How are they sealed?

I replaced my original OEM tires on my 2014 California at 7000 miles with Bridgestone Exedras, since they were a little less expensive than some of the other options. I have put 3000 miles on them now and they still look almost new; maybe a trace of flattening in the center, but no unusual left side wear that I experienced on the old front tire. I have no complaints about handling and grip, but then again I'm not a knee dragger. Hoping to get 12-15K miles on this set. They appear to be a good option for those who want a good high mileage tire. I put about 5K miles a year on this bike, so I'll post more updates as the tires get more miles on them.

The Bridgestone Excedra's handled well,but were the lowest mileage tires I had used to date on my Triumph,hence no bargain. However,my Tbird SE also has a curb of 812 lbs.,where I believe the Guzzi has a curb of around 750 lbs. which may or may not make a difference. But trial and error is how I came up with the tires I'm currently using on my Tbird. which is Avon's AV71 on the front,and the Dunlop AE on the rear. Dave!!!

I've been riding on these tires:

130/70ZR-18 (63W) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Front)
200/60R-16 (79V) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Rear)

The ride is very predictable, little wondering when going over uneven grooves, and seem above average for wet road conditions (caught a few rain showers since I got them August 2015)

Tread has been holding up really well - I've got about 6,000 miles logged on them and they still show good tread.

Bought them from www.rockymountainatvmc.com:

Front - $97.98
Rear - $148.88

Prices are as of this post.

2 -1/2 Years, and right at 10,000 miles later: My rear tire is finally worn down to the tread wear indicators.
My main riding is commuting to/from work, about 30 miles each way, in the Dallas-Fort Worth Texas area.

I decided to replace both front and rear tires as a set with the ME880 Marathon tires, due to arrive in a couple of days:
Front - $168.88
Rear - $188.88
Again, prices are as of this quote @ https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

I'll post updates as they become relevant.

I got 9000 miles out of the stock Dunlop Rear and now have almost 10,000 miles now on the Exedra Max. Still a was to go to the tread wear indicators and is holding it shape well. Mostly riding solo and pressures set to factory spec.

10000kms OEM Dunlops toast after predominantly two up non highway use. Based on reviews on the forum I decided to replace them with Avon Cobras (€325 for the pair shipped from the mainland), quoted in excess of €600 from a local tyre supplier. My go to Bridgestone dealer didn't get back to me with a price for Excedras so his loss, however he only charged €40 for fitting and balancing the Avons (loose wheel).
Took the opportunity to ditch the plastic shroud surrounding the shaft fill/drain points and replaced the shaft oil while the wheel was off, for the sake of the quantity of oil I intend to change the oil at the same interval as the engine/gearbox oil changes.
Have always used Bridgestone or Metzeler in the past on various bikes so we shall see how these pan out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 32
Took the opportunity to ditch the plastic shroud surrounding the shaft fill/drain points and replaced the shaft oil while the wheel was off, for the sake of the quantity of oil I intend to change the oil at the same interval as the engine/gearbox oil changes.

Doesn't the manual show a 20,000 mile oil change increment for the rear drive?

Yes I believe it does and most take the opportunity to change the oil when the wheel is off for tyre replacement, but for the quantity of oil it can't do any harm.

I agree with your practice. Just didn't want anyone get the idea that it was a manufacturer's requirement that the oil be changed with every tire change.

2 -1/2 Years, and right at 10,000 miles later: My rear tire is finally worn down to the tread wear indicators.
My main riding is commuting to/from work, about 30 miles each way, in the Dallas-Fort Worth Texas area.

I decided to replace both front and rear tires as a set with the ME880 Marathon tires, due to arrive in a couple of days:
Front - $168.88
Rear - $188.88
Again, prices are as of this quote @ https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

I'll post updates as they become relevant.
Quick update: I replaced the tires a week ago, Saturday (April 29) with the odometer indicating a total of 11,520 miles on the tires being replaced.

Back