• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Approved V7 III Fuel Filter

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Hello all;

Does anyone know if there is a Moto Guzzi approved list of fuel filters for the V7 III?

The reason I ask is that I have seen quite a few posts here and elsewhere of people having issues with the half plastic/half metal filters. This being the case I contacted my dealer and asked to have mine replaced with a full metal filter before picking the bike up this Saturday.

I was told they could not do it and that if I did it myself it would void my 2 year warranty.

I am in Canada and plan to do most if not all of my maintenance but I would like to have a valid warranty if needed. My dealer is 3 hours away and I have heard of people having issues even in the first few hundred miles with the filter bulging and causing fueling problems.

So back to my question, is there an approved by Moto Guzzi list that shows all metal fuel filters that I can point my dealer to?

Thanks
Maya

Canadian law may differ from USA law but changing the filter to an all metal filter does not void warranty.

It's right here folks, there's a handy store link with all the little goodies your V7 could want. Why make it so hard searching when its right in front of you? I'm not against looking around to save some money, but Todd has put a store together with high quality parts, I've purchased stuff from him and been satisfied. https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/filters/fuel-filters/

It's right here folks, there's a handy store link with all the little goodies your V7 could want. Why make it so hard searching when its right in front of you? I'm not against looking around to save some money, but Todd has put a store together with high quality parts, I've purchased stuff from him and been satisfied. https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/filters/fuel-filters/
And I do have that linked, and have confirmed with Todd that it will work.

But what I am trying to find is something somewhere that’s says Guzzi approves of such a filter.

You likely will not find that. Manufacturers list their approved parts and consumables in their parts books and in the owner's and service manuals for their products. They generally don't list alternatives unless there has been an issue that has caused a dealer bulletin to go out. I doubt they have sent anything like that; my dealer hadn't heard of it at all.

If you replace the filter with an all metal one, the dealer will likely just see it and say, "Oh, they used a different type on this one." And then replace it with the standard one in the parts book, if they're servicing the bike.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most would never even notice. Just like when I bought a spare oil filter, the Guzzi parts manual specified two different parts but as far as I or anyone else can tell they are identical... !

And I do have that linked, and have confirmed with Todd that it will work.

But what I am trying to find is something somewhere that’s says Guzzi approves of such a filter.
Not sure if Guzzi even achnoleges the problem with the half plastic filter if they did I would expect a recall and I've never received any notice. If you are new to Moto Guzzi what you will find is that by reading forums like this you will see real life people have addressed certain problems and stuff to look out for. Most of this stuff is not acknowledged by moto guzzi. Do some reading up, learn your bike and check everything over yourself when you get it and periodically even know your dealer says they set it up. Relax and enjoy it any answer you are looking for has most likely been covered here if you do some looking. Enjoy

Not sure if Guzzi even achnoleges the problem with the half plastic filter if they did I would expect a recall and I've never received any notice. If you are new to Moto Guzzi what you will find is that by reading forums like this you will see real life people have addressed certain problems and stuff to look out for. Most of this stuff is not acknowledged by moto guzzi. Do some reading up, learn your bike and check everything over yourself when you get it and periodically even know your dealer says they set it up. Relax and enjoy it any answer you are looking for has most likely been covered here if you do some looking. Enjoy
Thanks Racer;
I have done tons of reading here, fantastic forum. I have no issue with replacing the fuel filter, have even book marked it to buy from Todd. What bothers me is the statement from the dealer that they will not do it, and that if I do I will have my warranty voided.

I emailed Piaggio this morning, and got an email back stating they are looking into it for me. So that is a good start.

When all is said and done, I will still take care of my bike and love her like crazy, warranty or not. :)
Maya

I heard back again from the dealer and they stated that the filter is what would void the warranty, not me or them doing the work. Very interesting.
I ordered an all metal filter from Todd and will replace it myself as soon as it arrives.

Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and camaraderie.

Maya

Now you get to see how lucky you are at getting the fuel pump back in ;) on the first try. It takes a little jiggling but you'll get it.

When my dealer replaced my failed OEM fuel filter he reassured me the nice folks in Mandello are well aware of the problem. He said he takes every opportunity to remind them, and his regional rep.,that the OEM filter is a high risk point for failure. He stocks the all metal filter and claims to have replace several OEM filter a year do to failures. Seem Luigi bought a box car full of these a few years ago and feels he's gotta use up the inventory.

Paul

When I first started following the forum I thought the saying: Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921.
Was tongue in check, now I realize it is firm reality. :)

:D

No job I've done on any Guzzi has been all that difficult. Some, back when I was wrenching on the LMV and 850T, were a lot of work, but the tank removal on the Racer seemed pretty darn easy once I knew what to look for. I haven't pulled out the fuel pump yet, and I'm sure there's some fussiness to it, but I can't really see that it's going to be all that difficult. :)

It beggars beliefe that Guzzi are still fitting the Mahle KL150 half plastic filter.
8 years ago when I first heard of the problem I contacted Mahle Customer Services in the UK asking why there were problems with this filter.
I got the reply that this filter was designed to work with diesel fuel and petrol/gasoline would damage the adhesive connecting the plastic and metal. They sent me two KL145 filters FOC.

So how can fitting the all metal filter possibly affect the warranty?

UFI also make an all metal filter of the same dimentions 3176000.

I've ordered and installed the metal one with Oetiker clamps from Todd. Just get a Oetiker tool online and do it yourself. Works great. Remember, this isn't a Honda automobile, so don't worry about warranty, and finish off the bike the way Guzzi should have!

I've ordered and installed the metal one with Oetiker clamps from Todd. Just get a Oetiker tool online and do it yourself. Works great. Remember, this isn't a Honda automobile, so don't worry about warranty, and finish off the bike the way Guzzi should have!

Ah cool. I was looking for this on the store. Wasn’t listed with the v7 iii filter applied, and doesn’t mention anything in description. Todd, you may want to update the description/category, if compatible.

A follow up to this for all Canadian owners.
I was informed yesterday by Piaggio Customer Care that if Moto Guzzi OEM fuel filters are not used, then any warranty claim made that has to do with the fuel system will be denied. Warranty claims that have nothing to do with the fuel system will still be valid, but not those that relate to the fuel system.

Below is a quote from there email:
"To keep the validation of your warranty we recommended that you use OEM parts that are covered under the factory warranty for defects in workmanship and material. If aftermarket parts are used on your Moto Guzzi it could invalidate your warranty for those parts installed and if those parts causes damage to other components this too can invalidate coverage under the factory warranty for those parts affected."

I realize that they only said "we recommended", and "could invalidate", but I am reading those as definite. I have dealt with warranty issues with other companies, and those "possible" terms are always taken by the company as a way out.

I have asked for an exact part number and make and model of filter from them, will post that when I get the info.

Maya

Like I said, it's BS !!! The metal one is in the Stelvio, THAT means it's approved . Tell that guy the warranty comes from the US anyway. I would not put my foot in that dealership.

Back