• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7II fuel tank on V7III?

AllanV

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi!

New member here. I've just purchased a brand spanking new V7III Stone that I'll hopefully take delivery of next week. Very excited!

Now, I'm not really the kind to keep a bike stock, so I'm already comtemplating a color change. At the same time, I really want the option to change the bike back to stock appearence should the fancy take me.

So, I would need to get a second fuel tank to paint in my chosen color, keeping the stock tank original. My question is this:

Does the V7II and V7III share fuel tank design? I know the gas caps are different, but is that all? It would really open up the options if I could get a used V7II tank instead of having to purchase a new V7III tank.

I apologize if this has been answered before, I did do a search that came up blank :)

Hi!

New member here. I've just purchased a brand spanking new V7III Stone that I'll hopefully take delivery of next week. Very excited!

Now, I'm not really the kind to keep a bike stock, so I'm already comtemplating a color change. At the same time, I really want the option to change the bike back to stock appearence should the fancy take me.

So, I would need to get a second fuel tank to paint in my chosen color, keeping the stock tank original. My question is this:

Does the V7II and V7III share fuel tank design? I know the gas caps are different, but is that all? It would really open up the options if I could get a used V7II tank instead of having to purchase a new V7III tank.

I apologize if this has been answered before, I did do a search that came up blank :)

Anyone?

The fuel pump is a different part #, but I haven’t compared them in person. They will exchange as to sliding them on and bolting them down.

Ah, so the II tank will fit, but the fuel pump wont work with the III wiring harness? Guess my best bet is to get a proper III tank..

Ah, so the II tank will fit, but the fuel pump wont work with the III wiring harness? Guess my best bet is to get a proper III tank..

Allan - did you dig into this more? I'm considering the same thing. I looked up the price of a new V7 III Stone tank, a shocking $2300!!! And as you pointed out, lots more V7 II tanks on eBay than the v7 III.

Allan - did you dig into this more? I'm considering the same thing. I looked up the price of a new V7 III Stone tank, a shocking $2300!!! And as you pointed out, lots more V7 II tanks on eBay than the v7 III.

I'm afraid not. Looking at parts diagrams, it would seem that the flange connecting the fuel pump to the tank itself is the same, even if the pump isn't. But the only way to be sure of that would be to do a direct comparison with the parts in hand. And I'm not that keen to buy a V7II tank on the off chance the my V7III fuel pump fits :)

On a side note - there is a "blank" V7III fuel tank available at around $1200 (MG part number 2B003435). Still not cheap, and you would have to pay for paint on top of that. But unless you're set on one of the stock colors, that would be doable for a whole lot less that $2300..

On a side note - there is a "blank" V7III fuel tank available at around $1200 (MG part number 2B003435). Still not cheap, and you would have to pay for paint on top of that. But unless you're set on one of the stock colors, that would be doable for a whole lot less that $2300..

That's certainly what I'd do.

I used to think like you do—be able to restore the bike to stock—but after storing parts for different bikes for years and years, and NEVER once restoring a bike to stock, I decided to give it up. The storage space is much more valuable than the potential to do something I will never do. So when I changed my silencers for Agostinis, changed my wheels for the luscious Kineos, etc etc, I either sold or gave away the old parts to people who could use/appreciate them. My bike is modified as I like it and I don't store anything anymore. If I ever want to sell it, it will sell as it is, modified, or not at all. :D

I was originally thinking of doing the verde thing with my '17 V7III Racer, but I've grown accustomed to the silver with red frame look now and no longer want to change it. I would paint the tank it came with if I ever do.

G

That's certainly what I'd do.

I used to think like you do—be able to restore the bike to stock—but after storing parts for different bikes for years and years, and NEVER once restoring a bike to stock, I decided to give it up. The storage space is much more valuable than the potential to do something I will never do. So when I changed my silencers for Agostinis, changed my wheels for the luscious Kineos, etc etc, I either sold or gave away the old parts to people who could use/appreciate them. My bike is modified as I like it and I don't store anything anymore. If I ever want to sell it, it will sell as it is, modified, or not at all. :D

I was originally thinking of doing the verde thing with my '17 V7III Racer, but I've grown accustomed to the silver with red frame look now and no longer want to change it. I would paint the tank it came with if I ever do.

G

I get where you're coming from. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to let my stockpile of parts go (and besides, I'm only on my third bike since I started riding, so the aforementioned stockpile isn't that massive yet). But reading through this thread again has got me thinking about a color change once more.

I'm kinda sorta leaning towards painting the original tank (and side covers), and if I then somewhere down the road want to change back to the factory color, I can always try and source a tank then. I dunno, I tend to overthink these decisions :D

I get where you're coming from. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to let my stockpile of parts go (and besides, I'm only on my third bike since I started riding, so the aforementioned stockpile isn't that massive yet). But reading through this thread again has got me thinking about a color change once more.

I'm kinda sorta leaning towards painting the original tank (and side covers), and if I then somewhere down the road want to change back to the factory color, I can always try and source a tank then. I dunno, I tend to overthink these decisions :D
What about trying something like plastidip? At least for the side panels it might work, not sure about the outside of the tank.

What about trying something like plastidip? At least for the side panels it might work, not sure about the outside of the tank.

I've tried plastidip on car parts before.. let's just say I'm not a fan. Also, it doesn't tolerate gasoline very well (including fumes), so I wouldn't use it on a gas tank. Using paint on the tank and plastidip on the side panels isn't an option for me, as I want the same color on all three parts. Colormatching would be next to impossible.

I did look into vinyl wrap at one point, but the prices I got quoted was like 75% of the price of a decent paint job (here in denmark anyway), so I dropped that idea as well..

Back