• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Airone flywheel key.

clive

Just got it firing!
Hi.

Whilst changing the clutch on my airone like a fool, for reasons unknown other than curiosity, I removed the primary gear from the crank.
Unfortunately I didn't look at the flywheel key position before I took it out to remove the gear. By position I mean which way the chamfers on the key were positioned.
The fact the key seems to go in with the chamfers positioned horizontally or vertical in relation to the keyway doesn't help. I also noticed the key has a punched dot in it.
My question is - does the key go in with the chamfers on the horizontal plane, with the dot facing up, or are they positioned vertical?
Sorry for such a dumb question.
Thanks.

Clive

Clive,
Sounds like you've done what many of us has done, a friend refers to this as "let's take it apart to find out why it's working so good"...
Anyway, prior to installing the small primary pinion gear on the crank, just try the key and see which way it fits snugly, normally, the rounded (chamfer) side into the slot works, but I don't think the position is critical, but it'll probably fit better in one direction. Once you figure this out, remove it, slide on the pinion gear with spring behind, depress it and insert the key.
Here's the more important part, when you reinstall the clutch cover, the spring loaded pinion gear will try to hold the cover away from the case, DO NOT try to draw the cover down using the screws, you might get away with it a time or two, but eventually you'll strip the threads in the case. I have a small piece of plywood, just slightly bigger than the hole in the cover where the pinion gear is, with a hole in the plywood, the size of the crank, or at least smaller than the OD of the nut, then using an old flywheel nut, (or take your existing nut out of the flywheel), I spin the nut down drawing the cover down to the the case, then install the screws, then reinstall the flywheel.
Good luck,
Mike
Boston

Hi Mike.
I've been messing with it again and I think I've got it sorted. I love tinkering with mechanical things. It all started years ago. I have three brothers and we are all into motorcycles having grown up with them. My father bought a Malaguti motorik junior bike for myself and my younger brother in about '72, '73- (I'd be 6 or 7 years old) and every time my younger brother rode it it would come back with either a puncture, broken chain or some other malady and I would set about fixing it. As the years progressed so did the bikes - and the maladies.

Anyway I digress. Thanks for the tip regarding the clutch cover, i'll rig up something similar.

Back