• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 fuel tank removal

charlietuned

Tuned and Synch'ed
does anybody know how to take the side panels off the fuel tank , i need to get the tank off so as to get to the wiring for the GPS. I have removed what i can find [2 screws on each panel] , but it seems to be pivotting behind the eagle badge. She has 7km on the clock and i dont want to void the warrantee so btute force is out of the question!
thanks

There is a screw behind the eagle. You can't get them off without a severe risk of damage. If you buy the chromed tank panels they come with new eagles for this reason. Pull the tank, run cable up frame spine.

Pete

yep, i was being really dumb, just after i posted the first message , I went to the workshop and decided to try to lift the back of the tank , to get at the wiring, And, bobs your uncle , i managed to lift the tank, get to the GPS wiring and now,, I have a GPS on my brand new Cali ,, how it works and why I need it , I dont know , but it looks the business {our local restaurant owner ,Roy suggested it}

use dental floss to cut the two sided tape behind the eagle. holt the two ends of a length, and draw it along from one end of the eagle to the other.

mtiberio said:
use dental floss to cut the two sided tape behind the eagle. holt the two ends of a length, and draw it along from one end of the eagle to the other.

Really? That works Mike? I would never of thought of it in a million years.

Pete

In your experience what's easier to get to the wires, panel removal and if yes which side, or lifting the tank would be a more strait approach. How did you connect the GPS, did you use the original MG plug or did you have to modify it. Thanks.
Nik

I am not very bright and the Cali is brand new , I decided that i was going to have to take the side covers off to see whether there were any mounting points for the tank,, I had removed the back tank mounting bolt ,but still couldnt move the tank That is why I thought that there were other mounting bolts under the side covers and they had to be removed ! I WAS WRONG, I just had to pull a little harder on the back of the tank,and off it popped! ,the front rubber buffers were tight and stopping the tank from lifting
I used the wiring and plug under the tank and plugged it straight into the tomtom riider mounting now I look like a real posier [BTW my numerplate is POSIER2 !]

Great and thanks Mr. Poser. I was thinking to do that on my days off now so your info is welcomed.

Monsieur Posier sounds even better then. I should'v thought about it myself, too late now.

pete roper said:
mtiberio said:

Really? That works Mike? I would never of thought of it in a million years.

Pete

works for removing the toyota and yaris from the back of my car, can't imagine guzzi uses better tape than toyota...

Can't believe how well the dental floss trick worked. Spent hours looking at the badge thinking how to get it off. Thanks

Any ideas what's the best tape to use to reapply?

I would suggest that when your ready to install your eagles use clear or black silicone RTV,
a thin bead from the wingtip to wingtip and then position it ,
use blue tape to hold it in place let it cure for two days.
The silicone has more give ,
NOTE when the plastic gets warm the wings flatten out then one of them will lift off the tank.

I have had both of mine come off one while riding.
The new parts also suffered the same fate.
I removed them and cleaned off the 3M adhesive tape then glued em on,
no problems since.
It is a silly design.

Back