• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Should I replace ?

Fiat500

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Electrics are not my strong point and as I am in the process of restoring a T850 i was wondering if anyone has an opinion on what i should update or replace as far as relays, rectifier, regulator etc. Everything was working ok when I pulled if down apart from having to press the starter button a few times before it would turn over. Cheers

What Steve said. But I will emphasize that the connectors are a weak point on that bike. I do recommend getting some contact cleaner and use it on all connectors. That is disconnect them, use the spray cleaner, and reassemble. Do them one at a time so there is no confusion.

What Steve said. But I will emphasize that the connectors are a weak point on that bike. I do recommend getting some contact cleaner and use it on all connectors. That is disconnect them, use the spray cleaner, and reassemble. Do them one at a time so there is no confusion.
To late !
20180516 164408

No all good, lots of pictures and tags on wiring. What about some type of electrical grease on connectors or best put together dry. Also had one to tell over the net but is it more likely the start button than relay causing starter not to turn sometimes, have to press it 2 or 3 times before anything happens. Thanks again for the help.

Yes the starter button is a little flimsy on that model. You may be able to clean it up and make it more reliable. I like to use a contact cleaner that leaves a bit of oil behind but I'm finding it harder to purchase the product I like as in the US it is difficult to find TV contact cleaner and lube as TVs no longer are manually tuned. So, just find a good contact cleaner and maybe put cleaning contacts on a 5 year maintenance cycle.

When I completely rebuilt my LM2 a couple of years back I stripped and cleaned every connector and electrical part that I could.
Every part is still OEM and working fine and I'm still on points ignition.
Do a good job and you'll be rewarded with hassle free riding

The standard Guzzi wiring harness on the 850T is fine. The usual issues are weak handlebar switch gear, dirt or corrosion in the harness connections, and the old Bosch starter.
  • When I built my T in the early 1990s, I replaced all the handlebar switch gear with the matching CEV bits from the circa 1989 LeMans V model. If I recall correctly, the plugs connected everything but one circuit as they came, I just needed to alter that one connection. That generation CEV switch clusters were far more robust and ergonomic IMO.
  • Since I had the bike completely apart, like you do, I cleaned the entire harness and all of the couplings, and lubricated all the couplings with dielectric grease. Never had a single problem with the harness after that.
  • The Bosch starter from 1975 was prone to wear and also took a huge jolt of amperage to work reliably. The 'delay' and non-crank problems are typically the starter solenoid itself getting old and worn ... I used to keep a short 13mm wrench in my pocket and could hold the starter button down and just wack it with the wrench, it would turn over and fire right up then. I finally got tired of the rigamarole and swapped the Bosch starter out for a Valeo starter delivered on the 1990s 1000S model. Not only was the starter several pounds lighter, and smaller, it was geared and spun up instantly, every time. I seem to recall I had to dremel out a little bit of the casting on the starter mount or transmission to provide clearance for some piece of the starter ... I'd done this on the LeMans V already, so I knew all about it in advance. Regardless, it was a very worthwhile improvement on both bikes and well worth the effort.
On the T (and the LeMans), I also replaced the points in the distributor with the Dyna III ignition triggers, and replaced both coils with new Bosch coils of the same type and size. I switched the T's turn signals over from the OEM ones to a pair of Bosch bar-end turn signals from a BMW /2 series bike (mated to the end of V7 Sport adjustable clip on handlebars). That was the limit to the electrical modifications I made to the bike, and it all worked beautifully.

Thanks you all for your help. Interesting information about the Bosch starter Godfrey, will open it up and check for wear and look at replacing if suspect but will replace relay in any case. Original switch gear is in great condition and working fine at the moment, in fact I have had someone wanting it for their mk1.

Thanks you all for your help. Interesting information about the Bosch starter Godfrey, will open it up and check for wear and look at replacing if suspect but will replace relay in any case. Original switch gear is in great condition and working fine at the moment, in fact I have had someone wanting it for their mk1.

it's not the relay that causes the problems, generally; it's the solenoid on the starter itself. And I don't think that Bosch has supplied parts for that generation starter for a long time. I did all that, before I swapped in the Valeo starter... Parts were difficult then, and that was 24 years ago.

Back