• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Airone gear selection

clive

Just got it firing!
Fitted the new clutch, along with a new pushrod and springs no problem. The trouble is I'm still having a bit of trouble with gear selection - I was hoping a new clutch etc would help this as the old one was dragging a bit even after a good clean.

Sometimes the gear selection in perfect, inaudible hardly any resistance at the pedal. Like the proverbial knife through butter.

Other times it baulks - especially first to second and emits the odd crunching noise and can be difficult to engage gear without letting the clutch out slightly to get things moving in the box - a bit like trying to select gears when the engine isn't running when you have to rock the bike back and forth to engage them properly.

How good should they be, bearing in mind it's vintage and use over the years?

Any suggestions, comments most welcome

Try not pulling the clutch all the way. Pre-load the shifter and squeeze the clutch just enough to unload the drive train. The next gear should just engage smoothly.

Try not pulling the clutch all the way. Pre-load the shifter and squeeze the clutch just enough to unload the drive train. The next gear should just engage smoothly.

Hi John.
I'll give it a try , as I said 60-70% of the shifts are great, really smooth, but the rest can be a bit tricky so it may well be my technique is not helping. All the bikes I've previously owned/ridden have been post '65 which require little more than clutch in, shift, clutch out. I'm kid of enjoying learning all the idiosyncrasies of riding an older bike, although I must say I am very impressed with the engineering that as gone into the Airone and it rides superb for something that is 60 plus years old. It must have been quite superb in its day.
Thanks for the tip.

Hi John.
I'll give it a try , as I said 60-70% of the shifts are great, really smooth, but the rest can be a bit tricky so it may well be my technique is not helping. All the bikes I've previously owned/ridden have been post '65 which require little more than clutch in, shift, clutch out. I'm kid of enjoying learning all the idiosyncrasies of riding an older bike, although I must say I am very impressed with the engineering that as gone into the Airone and it rides superb for something that is 60 plus years old. It must have been quite superb in its day.
Thanks for the tip.

The technique works with all bikes I've ever ridden. It makes for quick, smooth shifts.

The technique works with all bikes I've ever ridden. It makes for quick, smooth shifts.
Well bugger me, you're quite correct John - it does indeed lead to a smooth positive shift.
I just need to remember to use the technique whilst riding now.
Having a V7II with an idiot proof left - one down the rest up, shift and the Airone with a right - one up and the rest down, can cause a man in his early fifties momentary mental stumbles whilst riding one bike then t'other.

Back