• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Charging, lights and various permutations - confused

Campagman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
2011, big tank model.
Last weekend, out for a ride around 2 hours, rode fine, stopped a few times for a photo or 2.

Stopped about 1 mile from home for a chat with a friend, 10 mins later, no start. Bumped it and rode the final mile, running rough though.
At home, wouldn’t start, it did off one of those little Lithium battery packs.
On charge for a few hours, them started.
On charge then all week, started up on the button today, but dash volts are only 12.4 and no main lights, parking front lights and aux lights work though, as do all the other electrics, indicators, horn, tail lights etc fuses all main checked out ok, dash data did reset at some point, I gues s cos I pulled the fuses.
No got to those fuses at the front, ran out of time.

Read a good few posts on here, but none seem to have this combination.

Is it tank off and check the alternator connections?

Age of the battery? If an AGM older than 1-2 years, replace it and your problem will be solved. Or you can chase your tail from there with electrical connections. Your call.

Thanks Todd, the battery is a Yuasa YTX20Ch-BS, looks to be the original, there’s nothing in the paperwork receipts, I’ve owned it 18 months.
So just a simple battery then?
Why would the bike run, not power the headlights and allow the aux lights to come on.....insufficient volts to the lighting relay?

I have seen this and experienced this and I believe I know what causes the problem.

The Stelvio relays from the factory, are not the greatest of quality. Let's face it, they suck. They are EXTREMELY INTOLERANT of being energized with a near-dead battery. You know what I mean, that "click click click" buzzing sound when trying to start the engine.

Well, that clicking sound is the relay, and the damn thing arcs internally and locks in position. Hence the headlights no longer work, etc.

I replaced both of those relays (the ones in the front of the bike, right hand side) with high-quality ones (Bosch/Tyco). I also, never crank my bike over if it does not have a full charge.

Much more info here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/new-stelvio-arrived.16690/

As to the life of a battery, although MOST batteries are toast at 1-2 years, it is because of the way they have been cared for, not because that is the "life" in the battery. I'm not kidding. My bike is a 2012. It has the original battery still in it. Works perfect. The bike lives in my garage and every single time without fail, it gets plugged into a high quality 4A Battery Tender which refreshes and maintains the battery electricity level. In fact, on all 5 of my bikes, I haven't replaced a battery on any of them in years and years. Proper care and maintenance go a long way with batteries!

As to those relays, here are pictures with the info (theelectrical depot.com) (Part# RLY-C-X037). (Current price = $6.47 each)

IMG 2154

IMG 2155

Last edited:
Thanks as always Scott. I use relays from Dan at; http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm -- you have to mail him a check, but he lives in that world and always has the latest and greatest.

As to batteries, I know it's broken record time here, but the newer the battery (model year of the bike) the shorter the lifespan. I've replaced dozens on newer bikes that were perfectly set up and cared for. YMMV.

Thanks as always Scott. I use relays from Dan at; http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm -- you have to mail him a check, but he lives in that world and always has the latest and greatest.

As to batteries, I know it's broken record time here, but the newer the battery (model year of the bike) the shorter the lifespan. I've replaced dozens on newer bikes that were perfectly set up and cared for. YMMV.

Thanks Todd. I knew there was that supplier you listed, but I couldn't find the info so I posted mine. I hope I didn't offend. In any event, I think it's moot anyway as this guy is in the UK. He'll likely local source them.

I think you are right about the newer batteries. I know it is so cliche' but I don't think they are making them like they used to. Hence, seeing more of the newer ones die prematurely.

I did discover firsthand though, that the Battery Tender "Trickle Chargers", like the 750 Milli-Amp or 1.25 Amp chargers, simply do not keep a battery as long as the more powerful 4A chargers. That charger specifically gets the job done very well with a good solid charging rate. I believe that it has substantially contributed to the life of my batteries in all of my motorcycles and my boat, which has 2 car batteries in it that I use the same 4A charger to maintain.

These 4A chargers are also LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) compatible, which is what I have in my Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro. That is a very tiny battery but boy does it get the job done well! Apologies if there was any faux pas on my part or induced confusion.

All working again now, but don’t know why?

Had a poke around this afternoon. Relays ok, fuses ok, battery not charging as volts were steady at 12.4 and didn’t move with revs. Ran the bike from a car batttery, no change, still no headlights, so not a low volts issue.
No volts to headlights, pulled the relays out, a 4 pin and a 5 pin, checked operation off line, worked ok, brushed the terminals and put back. Took the starter cover off and checked the earth connection, ok. Put back.
Then I dropped the aux fuse block out off the steerer tube, checked those fuses, all ok. Then all started working again!!

Lights ok, volts back to 14.1 and a touch higher on revving.

Weird, proof will be the next ride I guess.

If you don't have the headlights working because the relay is not operating then you won't get a charge from the alternator either. Fuse 1 in the aux fuses controls that relay, so if that had a bad connection it wouldn't operate. Equally it's possible the relay wan't seating properly. The main 30 amp fuse is also in that headlight/charging circuit, but if that had blown other things would not have worked either.
Had exactly this problem on a late Norge a month or so ago.

Thanks Brian,
Sounds like that fuse then, all started working ok once I disturb the aux fuses, so a bad connection is the most likely culprit.
I took them all out and cleaned up.

One thing to check that is weird but caused me to almost be stranded recently. I'd adjusted the shifter linkage recently and as you know to do so have to remove the plastic shroud of the starter to get to the top side of shifter linkage. Somehow I'd managed to also unknowingly loosen the small slide-on terminal for the 5v (?) wire that connects (slide-on terminal) to the the starter behind the upper linkage to the shifter. Couple weeks later it eventually disconnected and bike no starty, could heard starter relay clicking, all electrics at key-on worked fine battery showed 12.4v on the display. Scratching head I decided to check the last thing I'd messed with, i.e. removed starter cover and noticed the lead for this wire (has a long rectangular sheath on the lead) hanging loose. Slid it on and was back in business. The fit was rather loose so once I got home (the no start occurred while out and about) I tighted up the lead with a pliers for firm fit from now on.

Back