• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Connecting electrical accesories

Naked Dave

Just got it firing!
I have a California Touring and I am looking into the best approach/products to allow me to connect a phone/gps unit, heated vest and the OEM heated handgrps. Ideally the solution will have have space/capacity to add further options such as power for a passenger vest.

Any sugestions appreciated. As I am danger to anyone within 50 ft when I have a tool in my hand I would prefer a bolt on option rather than lots of soldering and so forth. My father is turning in his grave but I inherited his love of motorcycles but missed the 'handy' gene.

There is a plug coiled up just under the tank on the right side of the tank. You just have to remove the plastic shroud in front of the tank to access it. I connected my GPS to it (as that is what it is there for). The GPS cable has lots of other connections (like usb) which I coiled up and put under the seat behind the plastic cover where the fuses are.

There are connectors behind the plastic steering head covers on the right side for the OEM grips. Plug and play(heat). There is also a connector under the seat for the heated seat option that makes for a handy accessory port.

There is a plug coiled up just under the tank on the right side of the tank. You just have to remove the plastic shroud in front of the tank to access it. I connected my GPS to it (as that is what it is there for). The GPS cable has lots of other connections (like usb) which I coiled up and put under the seat behind the plastic cover where the fuses are.

Perfect. Thanks for that.

There are connectors behind the plastic steering head covers on the right side for the OEM grips. Plug and play(heat). There is also a connector under the seat for the heated seat option that makes for a handy accessory port.

Thank you, I think even I can mange that job. I will check it out this morning

4FA20F4D A5A9 4563 B022 7049400E2203
Thank you, I think even I can mange that job. I will check it out this morning

Dave there is a plug made and sold by BMW that plugs right into the provided power source for GPS that is under the left side front plastic cover. I had to pull the tank back just a little to get to mine. Once you plug in the BMW plug into the stock Guzzi power source you have power.

The TomTom Rider 400 plugs right in to the connection under the front of the tank. It was designed to work with the bike. I also believe the new Media Platform Technology that Moto Guzzi is bringing out on their bikes can be retrofitted as well.

Does anyone have pictures of what the connector looks like?
Fairly sure this is it - I dug it out in anticipation of fitting a GPS but have not connected one yet. Its tucked up behind the left hand side of the fuel tank (as you sit on the bike facing forward) and rolled up in a ball with a zip-tie. You can see it emerging upon the "chrome" cover on the tank

You probably have to raise/pull back the tank to "fish it out". There is a thread here on how to do that (just follow steps 1 to 6) https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cal14-stop-the-moaning-whale.13051/ . Advice seems to be that you should remove valve covers to protect them from scratching when pulling tank backwards.

There's also some chat about GPS installation on the Cali 1400 here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gps-installation.14275/ .You'll see a picture of the BMW adapter that plugs into it (copied below)

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 75
  • BMW Adapter.png
    BMW Adapter.png
    936.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
super old thread guys.. but I just joined the forum so.. my apology to re-ignite it.

Does anybody used that to connect an USB port? and if yes where did you guys put the USB? I'm looking for some pictures to see how the final result of the work is as I'm planning to do something similar and I want to see what you guys did especially to have something that can be used during rainy days.

so.. PICTURE PLEASE :):)

I also find this one that seems an easier solution: http://integrabus.eu/portfolio/usb-double-charger-with-tyco-plug/ but I don't know if #a they ship in USA and #b how long cables are... so the BMW solutions right now still seems the best one.

Thanks everyone!!

@kiwi dave, thanks.
When you say "you can't use this to wire in a USB port", do you mean in general? Meaning: if I order the BMW connector mentioned in the thread above, can't I connect an USB port there?

@kiwi dave, thanks.
When you say "you can't use this to wire in a USB port", do you mean in general? Meaning: if I order the BMW connector mentioned in the thread above, can't I connect an USB port there?

I do not see any reason why you couldn't use that connector for a USB adapter. The wiring diagram shows it running off of the same circuit as the heated grips and seat, so there is plenty of power capacity on it.

Dave

Back