• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Difficult to find neutral - this worked for me

Kerry

Just got it firing!
In case this helps anyone else – bike was starting to get REALLY difficult to find neutral, would skip over it going down or up. Given its just 3 months old was a bit annoyed.

Anyhow, did the usual Google thing and found the solution – the clutch cable adjustment had come loose on the leaver, you cant see it until you lull back the rubber shroud that covers the adjuster bolts - and in my case there was a massive 8 mm play. Simple to fix and what difference.

In case this helps anyone else – bike was starting to get REALLY difficult to find neutral, would skip over it going down or up. Given its just 3 months old was a bit annoyed.

Anyhow, did the usual Google thing and found the solution – the clutch cable adjustment had come loose on the leaver, you cant see it until you lull back the rubber shroud that covers the adjuster bolts - and in my case there was a massive 8 mm play. Simple to fix and what difference.
Be careful. There were some issues with V7's and clutch adjustments. Some of them lacked parts in the clutch mechanism causing real clutch issues. Make sure the clutch has free play. Search this board and I think you will find some posts about the V7 clutch issue. It may not be your particular year of the V7 that was affected, but I would check to be sure.
But aside from that, good on you for figuring it out yourself. I find Guzzi's far more enjoyable if I take care of them myself.

Last edited:
Be careful. There were some issues with V7's and clutch adjustments. Some of them lacked parts in the clutch mechanism causing real clutch issues. Make sure the clutch has free play. Search this board and I think you will find some posts about the V7 clutch issue. It may not be your particular year of the V7 that was affected, but I would check to be sure.
But aside from that, good on you for figuring it out yourself. I find Guzzi's far more enjoyable if I take care of them myself.
I think a lot of the issues with the clutch came from people adjusting the free play at the clutch arm, and not at the lever.

I think a lot of the issues with the clutch came from people adjusting the free play at the clutch arm, and not at the lever.
Perhaps, but there were issues with a bunch of V7s being shipped with the clutch actuation system improperly assembled and they required fixing. It was not an adjustment issue, but it would cause the clutch to fall out of adjustment and trying to simply re-adjust it would make it worse.

Here is a link to the thread.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-ii-owners-clutch-advisory-bearing-omission.16098/

How much do you tighten it? It’s hard to find neutral on my bike and there’s a good amount of play on my lever also. Mines a V7II so I’m hoping I don’t have bigger issues

Mine is a V7 III, I have it adjusted at the lever so there is only a tiny smidgen of play, probably no more than a millimeter or 2.

New v7iii owner. Just breaking it in. On a somewhat related but seperate issue, I have noticed that shifting takes a lot of effort when the bike is cold shifting from neutral to 1st, or 1st to 2nd, but gets much easier after 5-10 minutes or so. After warm up seems to shift very smoothly. Never noticed this on my v11 sport. What would cause that? Is it just engine oils getting warmed up? Will it get better with time/break-in? I’ll double check the lever play.

New v7iii owner. Just breaking it in. On a somewhat related but seperate issue, I have noticed that shifting takes a lot of effort when the bike is cold shifting from neutral to 1st, or 1st to 2nd, but gets much easier after 5-10 minutes or so. After warm up seems to shift very smoothly. Never noticed this on my v11 sport. What would cause that? Is it just engine oils getting warmed up? Will it get better with time/break-in? I’ll double check the lever play.

I noticed the same thing, especially on cold mornings, between 1st and 2nd, and would end up in N instead of 2nd. But going up to 3rd, 4th, and so on is not affected. I just stomp harder on the lever. After 2-3 city blocks/stop lights, it is easy to shift again. For me, the clutch adjustment is fine and the problem starts to disappear around 600-mile mark (or maybe I get used to it).

Back