• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can someone explain the "Enter Code" thing to me?

Kevin Ballowe

Tuned and Synch'ed
New 2017 Cali 1400 Tour.

Supplied with two keys, and two key fobs

The starting procedure is to turn on the key, hit the small button on the fob (beep sound), and then press the starter button. EVERY time ya want to start it.

After some amount of research - I am a bit confused. Every time ya turn on the ignition, the instrument cluster displays "enter code".

What code?

And what would happen if I lose the key fob - or if the battery in the fob runs flat ?

When ya shut the bike off, it re-arms itself (single beep) after 50 seconds. I read the owner's manual about this but I must have missed the pertinent information.

Called the dealer and they said there was no such thing.

This is well covered on this site. The User Code is one you enter in case you need to program a new key. I HIGHLY recommend using the Service code (also in this section) to make it easy for yourself and any future owners.

New 2017 Cali 1400 Tour.

Supplied with two keys, and two key fobs

The starting procedure is to turn on the key, hit the small button on the fob (beep sound), and then press the starter button. EVERY time ya want to start it.

After some amount of research - I am a bit confused. Every time ya turn on the ignition, the instrument cluster displays "enter code".

What code?

And what would happen if I lose the key fob - or if the battery in the fob runs flat ?

When ya shut the bike off, it re-arms itself (single beep) after 50 seconds. I read the owner's manual about this but I must have missed the pertinent information.

Called the dealer and they said there was no such thing.

Well, your fist mistake was getting a Touring model with the alarm system already present. That can be corrected by removing it, but I am not the one to ask about that. I own a Custom (no alarm system installed) that CAN have an alarm system installed as an accessory. Since the Custom can have the alarm installed as an accessory, it seems reasonable to me that the Touring can have it removed. That will resolve the fob problem. No alarm, no fob.

Now, try to make a second mistake. That is, attempting to set the key code. Go to your dealer and get their help setting the code and also getting the back-up key to work. Todd makes a good suggestion to use the Service Code as your key code, but get help from your dealer. Don't end up like I did....

They always say "Enter Code" but you can just ignore it.
No code is required for normal starting.
As for the alarm, I decided early on, that the alarm on my Touring was more likely to
stop me from riding than any would be thief, so I removed it. This is very simple if you
use the blanking plug that should have come with the bike.

Stephen

Yes, so I disabled the alarm and put the key fobs and spare key in the file cabinet.

Both keys work. Nothing unusual on the display, except that the word "CODE" appears before starting.
I can live with that.
:nod:

I'm liking this bike more, all the time. A bit stiff on the suspension, but (for a cruiser) it doesn't wallow in the corners.
Almost time for the first oil change (s).

Thanks everyone.

:happy::happy::happy:

Why not enter a code and be done with it?

Can't.
Too skeerd.

In the 1/1000 chance that I hose this...... the dealer has already told me that "there's no such thing". That says (to me) that they would be zero help in fixing a screw-up.

But, I am having a question: Assuming that I DO enter a code - does this affect the ignition keys in any way?

i.e. - would the keys need to be re-programmed, or does this have nothing to do with the ignition keys?

Last edited:
Can't.
The dealer has already told me that "there's no such thing". That says (to me) that they would be zero help in fixing a screw-up.

I think you need to find a dealer that knows what he's doing.

But, I am having a question: Assuming that I DO enter a code - does this affect the ignition keys in any way?

i.e. - would the keys need to be re-programmed, or does this have nothing to do with the ignition keys?

No you don't have to reprogram your keys.

Here's the deal with the code. Your keys have dual security features. The first is the physical cut of the key, old school stuff, that has been around forever. The second is an embedded electronic transponder chip in the plastic head of the key, which is programmed to an individual ignition, and communicates an electronic code to your ignition switch when you turn it to the run position. If somebody manages to pick the lock, without a key programmed to your bike, the electronics (starter, fuel pump, ignition system, etc.) will not function. This same type of system is used on modern cars and trucks.

For some reason, motorcycles have a backup plan for this system, should you end up with a failed transponder key. (I haven't had any problem with this on my bike, but, as an auto mechanic myself, I've seen this happen occasionally on cars) When the key fails, you can insert and turn the key to the run position. The bike will recognize that the key is not producing the code, and will prompt you for your User Code, which you will enter using the Mode switch. When you successfully enter the correct code, you can start and ride the bike. Without the code, you are stuck, until you can retrieve your extra key that's good. I believe that if you do not setup the code, you will not have this backup option, should your key fail. I would highly recommend setting up the User Code with a very memorable code, whether it be the Service Code number, as others have suggested, or something else. The vague instructions for this are in the owner's manual under the Modify Code heading. I believe you use the Mode switch to do the setup. As the bike is new, and no code has been set, there is no old code number to enter. Follow the prompts on the dash when instructed.

You can try the system after setting the code by getting a blank key, have it cut at a locksmith, and use it to try to start the bike. If it is cut right, the ignition can be turned to the run position, at which point the dash will prompt you to enter the code.

One situation where it might be a good idea to set a code.....
You could have a spare (unprogrammed) key hidden on the bike, in case of emergency (lost/damaged primary key, etc).
With the unprogrammed key and the security code, you're back in business. In the off chance that someone finds your key - it is useless without the security code.

Far-fetched, I know.
Still, more likely that winning the lottery - and I just bought two tickets......

It's very easy to recover a user code (at least for a Norge) as long as you have both keys, but probably impossible if you don't.
The manual is good (reading the instructions a few times was very helpful for me), and if you are familiar with the mode button it's easy. Just know there's a difference between brief and long (> 2 seconds) movements of the button. Again, read the manual.
1 - Go to: Menu=>Settings=>Code Recovery.
2 - When prompted for the 2nd key, turn the ignition off and quickly put the other key in and turn the ignition back on.
3 - When prompted use the mode button to enter the code you want to use. Make sure you keep it somewhere!

To test it I tried to fool it by inserting the same key again but apparently it's smart enough to know the difference.

To change codes you only need one key but you must know the old code.
1 - Go to: Menu=>Settings=>Change the Code.
2 - When prompted use the mode button to enter the old code.
3 - When prompted enter the new code. Make sure you keep it somewhere!
I did search the forum so I hope I'm not repeating other's advise here.

Note: Enter number by moving the Mode button left or right, accept the entry by pressing it in.

Last edited:
Back