• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 front brake vibration - my story

BigJohnBreva

Just got it firing!
I thought its worth posting my experience with solving the "warped disc" problem I've had with my Breva 1100 since I purchased it in 2012. Sorry about the length, have a nice cup of tea ready....

My story....
Bike had about 800 miles on it when I bought it from the original supplying dealer who'd bought it back from the original owner who'd hardly used it. Almost from my purchase the brakes were a bit dodgy - lots of jerks and pulsing at lower speeds - although at higher speeds it was OK.

Over the next year (I do c. 2,500-3,000 mls a year) it got progressively worse, so after trying the usual brake bleeding, new pads, all the bobbin cleaning methods recommended on here, plus suspension adjustments etc, I bought a new set of Viper discs (from M&P here in the UK) and new pads. These were fitted and initially were OK, but within 1000 miles the problem was back. Much cleaning of discs and pads ensued plus another set of sintered pads. Any improvement did not last very long.

I managed to get 2 MOTs with this set up but by 2015 I was fed up with it so I went for a set of EBC disc from Gutsibits and a set of HH EBC pads. this seemed to work OK for the next year or so, but by about another 4000 miles the pulsing was back. And it failed an MOT "Front Roller brake test indicates excessive fluctuation of brake effort" The tester passed my retest as I managed to improve the braking a little (and he felt sorry for me, he said). Interestingly, although they are a big dealer in 2nd hand bikes, they said they would never touch another Breva as they had a similar situation on one a few years earlier even they couldn't 100% cure.

So in summer 2017 I went to town on the problem. I changed wheel bearings, added stronger fork springs from Hagon (I could bottom the forks very easily with the old ones, even with full preload ), checked all head bearings, disc run-out checked with dial gauge, disc thickeness micrometered every 30 degrees (all fine). I stripped down the calipers to check pistons (all absolutely perfect inside) and lubricating with brake grease etc. All pistons moved in sequence with each other and were movable with finger pressure. No drag between disc/pad.

But I still had the pulsing. 'kin hell.

Rather than fail another MOT decided to try new caliper seals as a last resort. As you may know, rebuild kits are not available from Brembo, but on UK ebay I saw a set advertised:- https://tinyurl.com/y7mratw4

I fitted the kit and the result was like night and day - no vibration, smooth braking, perfect.

All I can see is that the pads maybe retract a little more than they did. The kit included the seal between the 2 caliper halfs and a new bleed nipple, so to fit the kit involved total dismantling of the caliper. This maybe removed any blockage/fluid airlock that normal bleeding couldn't get rid of. The old seals had a directional chamfer on them too, very pronounced. BUT the new seals were totally square/flat.

Moral of the story - check everything, check again, then look at the seals....

This is a great post, the kind of thing that could really help some future reader. Thanks for sharing!

The original brake set up on my B1100 caused pulsing and grabbing, so I cleaned them (calipers, pads and discs, turning the buttons). This improved them, but it soon returned, so I cleaned them and so on. When the original pads had worn out I replaced them wth EBC HH pads, which run much cleaner, and gradually over a few thousand miles the brakes smoothed and returned to normal.
When the disc wore out (48,000 miles), I replaced them with Stelvio discs, because I got a bargain, and used new but cheap HH pads. In no time the pads delaminated and the impression of warped discs returned. I then replaced the pads with EBC HH and gradually over the last 3,000 miles they have recovered and now operate pretty much as they should.

Hope this helps.

Back