• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Limp Mode?

Zazu

Tuned and Synch'ed
My Cali is still suffering in the heat. I haven't noticed it as much since I've changed my riding pattern, not getting caught in stop and go traffic and avoiding really hot days, but every now and then the bike falls back into limp mode - lack of power, nothing above 4000 rpm, bogs down, feels like I'm pulling away from the light in fourth gear(?Recently it's been popping a service warning on start up; concerning but not a show stopper as it seems seems to clear if I shut off and restart a couple times (gremlins?). When I brought the bike in to a reputable dealer last Summer they checked the bike over, reset valves and eventually replaced the demand sensor under warranty; better but apparently not fixed. My understanding is that the bike is programmed to go into limp mode if the demand sensor loses one of the four input signals(?). It always seems to happen in stop and go and when the bike gets warm ... not sure that that story helps with an online diagnosis, but curious if anything comes to mind as a potential source of the problem?

Is the oil cooler fan cutting in when the 'bike gets warm'?

Stephen

I believe the fan is working. Hard to confirm in traffic, but I limped I to the driveway once last Summer and used the engine cut off in the driveway; the fan was running.

Interesting. I regularly ride my Cali Custom when the temperature is in the high 90s with no issues.

Can you qualify Limp Home? When the 1400 overheats, high idle and rough running is the result; It is air-cooled with crazy high running temps for emission regs, Limp home is no idle and no power, and ulitmately shut down. I would have a dealer connect and read any error codes.
From there, my GT fuel kit is proven to help and add power/cooling. Corrected fueling = cooler running.

@ Mike, I've heard that before from other Cali owners in Arizona, gives me hope ;)

@ Todd, I certainly get the air cooled / high temps - felt it, got the scars. From your description, however, my issues don't sound like overheating; on warm days in traffic, the bike definitely rides rough, but certainly not high idle, quite the opposite as I have to crank the throttle from a stop to prevent it from stalling, and I manage to chug up to a moderate speed, but continues to ride rough. My dealer is +300 miles away and inevitably, after a day's ride, I return home, no errors found, no further ahead. I'll keep trolling sites looking for suggestions. I've read replace spark plug wires, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 mins, replace oil fan sensor, replace demand sensor ... I haven't tried them all yet, but I'll keep searching. The bike's awesome, certainly worth the effort, willing to continue patiently sourcing a fix.

Cheers!
Dan

OP, have you been working on the electronics at all before these events?

I say that because after I installed my MG heated hand grips (which requires fishing through the mess of wiring at the front of the engine for the connectors) I ended up have a no start issue and upon inspecting the wiring I noticed that 1 of the pins had popped off 1 of the connectors. I seated it back in and taped it so it wouldn't happen again and I've been fine since.

I believe that some of the issues we have on these bikes could be related to this same issue of pins working loose from connectors. Just a thought.

OP, have you been working on the electronics at all before these events?

I haven't but I did have it in to see George and the guys at Corsa Meccanica a few times, so it's possible that something popped loose(?). I'll poke around this weekend.

That's where I get mine serviced as well … what a haul for you though. He's just around the corner from my work so it's great for me.

Just be careful pulling on the wire looms.

That's where I get mine serviced as well … what a haul for you though. He's just around the corner from my work so it's great for me.

Just be careful pulling on the wire looms.

Ya, great guys, fun shop to visit. Long haul indeed, but if I wanted easy, I wouldn't have invested in MG

Here in Arizona the temps are up to 108F and we will see many days over 115F this summer.

This is the first summer on my 2016 Eldorado. So far I've only been riding to & from work in light traffic (4 miles each way).

I was a little concerned about the effect of high heat after reading some posts here. But so far I haven't noticed any degradation in performance, the bike runs strong and smooth as usual!

Last edited:
Back