• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil sweating from wire going in alternator cover

Sharon David

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi!
What is the wire going in the alternator cover in it's upper right side?
Is a n oil sweat normal from this wire penetration hole? (A small gentle sweat)
Thanks

It's a v7iii

Yes, you got it, the alt wires going into an oil bath. Dripping is a leak.
Thank you
I also suspect the cylinder base gasket, although it's made of steel on the v7iii. I only have 1500 km on it.
If it's this wire, how can I stop it, or it a normal wheep?

My V7ii leaked from the alternator cover. Although it was under warranty, i fixed it myself by removing the cover, cleaning it, and resealing. I sealed completely around the grommet before installing. Warning - the abs module makes getting the cover top screw out difficult. I was able to disconnect the module from the bracket and get the bracket out without removing the tank.

Sorry for digging an old thread.
I have same problem, ride to dealer, mechanic said "it's normal, it's from crank vent hose." and didn't fix anything...
So I fix it on my own with easiest way first. Clean oil residual with brake cleaner and then paste rtv silicone around wire grommet.
It's work! No leak after 60 km. passed.

Only my mistake is to use grey silicone not black...

Sorry for digging an old thread.
I have same problem, ride to dealer, mechanic said "it's normal, it's from crank vent hose." and didn't fix anything...
So I fix it on my own with easiest way first. Clean oil residual with brake cleaner and then paste rtv silicone around wire grommet.
It's work! No leak after 60 km. passed.

Only my mistake is to use grey silicone not black...

View attachment 16681

Whoever is your dealer needs to be smacked...what a false information!

your fix is basically what my dealer did except he also teared apart the whole front end.

Keep monitor it as my came back after a year...I just grow to live with it.

Thank you. I will monitor this leak.

I would remove alternater cover and replace new gasket, reseal grommet if my wallet is not empty from buying another v7 accessories. :D

Hi!
What is the wire going in the alternator cover in it's upper right side?
Is a n oil sweat normal from this wire penetration hole? (A small gentle sweat)
Thanks

It's a v7iii

V7 Stone 2014. Have exactly the same problem. Gently sweating around the spot where the wires go into alternator cover. No dripping or trickling though..

Did you solve your problem, mate? Or have you left it as is?

Cheers!

Whoever is your dealer needs to be smacked...what a false information!

your fix is basically what my dealer did except he also teared apart the whole front end.

Keep monitor it as my came back after a year...I just grow to live with it.
That's why i did mine myself, even though it was under warranty. Doing it the 'easy' way like this means it will leak again. 3 years later, mine is dry.

I thought a 2014 had a dry alternator??

That's why i did mine myself, even though it was under warranty. Doing it the 'easy' way like this means it will leak again. 3 years later, mine is dry.

Frankly, I have no idea if it's dry or not. But my 2014 is sweating precisely here (arrow on the picture)... And I wonder if sweating is something I should worry about in this case...

Attachments

• 2012-MotoGuzzi-V7750Engineb-small_1.jpg
    2012-MotoGuzzi-V7750Engineb-small_1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 20

mine's 2015. First Gen of wet alternator...

Back