• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II vs III

Cblais19

Just got it firing!
Redux! I’ve seen a couple of these threads floating around here now, and was wondering what the consensus was now that we’re nearly 2 years into the III’s run. In VA I can find a III Special for ~$8.5k, but my test ride confirmed that I’d need to sink at least $1k into the suspension (which Todd gave me some great recommendations on today), and then I’d want to add H&B racks for the topcase I have + engine bars and other things.

Or I can do a fly and ride to pick up a 2016 V7 II Stone (double gauges!) with the suspension already given a mild upgrade, and all the H&B parts already installed plus side cases for the low price of $6k. I don’t really care that the Stone is uglier then the gorgeous new Blue speciale I was looking at, since my dream color is purple anyway.

So is the drivetrain upgrade worth the nearly $4k premium over a good used example at this point?

Thanks!

Redux! I’ve seen a couple of these threads floating around here now, and was wondering what the consensus was now that we’re nearly 2 years into the III’s run. In VA I can find a III Special for ~$8.5k, but my test ride confirmed that I’d need to sink at least $1k into the suspension (which Todd gave me some great recommendations on today), and then I’d want to add H&B racks for the topcase I have + engine bars and other things.

Or I can do a fly and ride to pick up a 2016 V7 II Stone (double gauges!) with the suspension already given a mild upgrade, and all the H&B parts already installed plus side cases for the low price of $6k. I don’t really care that the Stone is uglier then the gorgeous new Blue speciale I was looking at, since my dream color is purple anyway.

So is the drivetrain upgrade worth the nearly $4k premium over a good used example at this point?

Thanks!

If the suspension upgrades on the V7II are only "mild upgrades", they might not add any real value.
You don't want to get stuck riding around with less-than-great upgrades just because they're nominally upgrades and because they came with the bike.

The hemi-heads on the V7 III are absolutely worth the investment ~ assuming you plan on doing nothing to the drive train.
OTOH The V7 II is a better platform from which to invest in a 4V-820 big bore set up.
(There is also an 820 kit [w/o new heads] for the V7 II - as well as one for the V7 III)

While there's nothing wrong with the V7II series bikes, the improvements to the frame and engine on the V7III completely overwhelmed any cost considerations for me.

The suspension, wheels, and tires upgrade I then had done to the V7III Racer increased the price of the bike by half, but it now handles and rides like a motorcycle in that price class ought to handle, at least!, so I am perfectly happy with what I've spent. The additional increment spent on exhaust and ECU tuning, as well as the other little details (shorty levers, bar end mirrors, Dart fly screen, etc) has also returned exactly the value, performance, and pleasure that I was hoping for.

Not cheap, but The Good Stuff rarely is. :D

Thanks for the feedback folks. I guess I can also look around for a leftover 17 racer - I’ve seen your very positive posts on yours, and then I’d just have to deal with the forks.

As a relatively new owner of a '14 V7 special, I'd personally wait for the right V7 III to come down the pipe. I bought my bike inexpensively & with only 1150 miles on the clock, but after only adding another 500 miles to that total I'm pretty sure I should have waited for the latest rendition of this classic. Don't get me wrong, its a great city bike for me and I will likely do some longer trips on it...but its frankly uninspiring compared to my thruxton and will certainly get used a whole lot less after getting the triumph back on the road. At the time of purchase I was bike-less and looking at wasted months of precious riding season, so I pulled the trigger rather than waiting for a V7 III Special to materialize.

I know I can squeeze more out of the girl, but I'd have preferred to have started with the newer mill and its 10 to 20% power increase over the heron head bikes as a basis for those changes. As it now stands, I'll be lucky if my '14 will get to the point where it rivals the out-of-the-box power of the V7III machines. Which is just fine, but it rings a bit less enthusiastically when compared to what *could* have been...

Regards,

-- Rich

Back