• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear brake pad replacement.

John L

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I've had a search on the forum and the workshop manual isn't very clear, so can the rear brake pads be replaced without removing the rear wheel. Looking at the workshop manual all that is required is to remove the pin at the rear and pull the pads out.
Cheers, John.

Last edited:
I've had a search on the forum and the workshop manual isn't very clear, so can the rear brake pads be replaced without removing the rear wheel. Looking at the workshop manual all that is required is to remove the pin at the rear and pull the pads out.
Cheers, John.

OK - disclaimer - I've not actually done it on the 1400 (with the wheel in place), but have on many other bikes and there are certainly more qualified people than me who could chime in for sure. It certainly looks like you can, but, the problem with pad replacement is always pushing the piston back in to accommodate the wider new pads. With the caliper in place, it looks like the piston will be hidden behind the disc and thus access to it will be limited (did anybody say screwdriver between disc and piston- no?- good).

I have however removed the rear wheel and when you pull the axle through, the caliper will come up and you can gain access to the piston etc and give it a good clean. This of course requires jacking the bike, dropping the rear section of the exhaust (no need to remove it completely as it has a flexible joint)) and some basic nut, hex tools and a torque wrench, it's not a big job if you have them - you don't actually have to remove the wheel, you can pull the axle through just enough to release the caliper and lift it clear of the disc.

I distinctly recall that when I did this, the front of the pads accidentally dropped out from behind their recess in the caliper and only the pad pin and clip stopped them dropping on the floor.

Last edited:
I just replaced the rear caliper brake pads this past weekend on my 2014 Cali Touring. John is spot on with his description of the procedure. In my case I also replaced the back tire so my wheel was out. However, I've found that to get the rear wheel off the motorcycle I always remove the caliper first (using John's method) and thus avoid scratching the powder coated paint from the rim by the caliper during wheel removal. Bear in mind that you will need to remove the port side shock absorber to work with the caliper!

A small addition to John's description: Once you pull the axle out a few inches, so that it clears the caliper mounting boss, you will slide the caliper rearward about one inch or so to clear the slotted anchor pin just forward of the axle. Then you can lift the caliper upward to work on it. Remember to use break cleaner and an old tooth brush to clean the pistons before pushing them back into the caliper, you don't want to force any old brake pad dust/grit back inside the piston chambers.

While you have things apart you might wish to replace the standard brake fluid bleeder nipple with a speed bleeder. The rear caliper uses an 8mm x 1.25mm by 28mm long speed bleeder. I bought a pair of Russell 639520 speed bleeders for about $20.

I did a little research on brake pad materials and decided to use Ceramic - Composite (basically ceramic materials suspended in an organic compound). I used SBS brand 674HF pads. The reason I chose the Ceramic based material is in an effort to cut down on the brake dust which was building up on my rear rim.

Since I've only ridden my bike twenty miles since installing these brake pads I can not comment on their stopping power or brake dust accumulation. I'll try and update this post in the summer after putting a few thousand miles on my Cali Touring.

Finally replaced the rear brake pads, all that is required is to remove clip, tap out the pin at the rear (it taps out towards the wheel) and the pads can be pulled straight out without removing anything else. A squirt of brake cleaner and a small bottle brush cleaned up the pistons pretty well, pushed them back, pads in, pin in, clip in, job done.

Finally replaced the rear brake pads, all that is required is to remove clip, tap out the pin at the rear (it taps out towards the wheel) and the pads can be pulled straight out without removing anything else. A squirt of brake cleaner and a small bottle brush cleaned up the pistons pretty well, pushed them back, pads in, pin in, clip in, job done.[/QUOTE

Hey john, how did you push the piston?

It's a floating caliper with pistons only on one side so you can push the caliper across against the disc and push the pistons back in, mine moved really easy.

Digging up this old thread as opposed to creating a new one.....Decided to replace the pads while I was removing/replacing the wheel for a tire change.

The Spring Plate dropped out of the caliper when I wasn't looking and for the life of me can't figure out how it seats up in the caliper housing.

Anybody got a picture or clear description? I'm used to seeing some sort of inset or clear positioning point for these springs.

Cheers, Joe

IMG 1075

Geez...I figured it out. Stupid Joe. Just gonna leave this picture here for others

It is a bit of a pain as with the caliper off the disk the spring doesn't want to stay in place. I would guess if it was still mounted to the wheel it would keep it from popping out.

IMG 1089

OK so bend the bent tab to provide the required grip ,
Based on your picture one of the securing tabs is bent.
If that wont work put a dab of grease on it then insert the pads

Geez...I figured it out. Stupid Joe. Just gonna leave this picture here for others

It is a bit of a pain as with the caliper off the disk the spring doesn't want to stay in place. I would guess if it was still mounted to the wheel it would keep it from popping out.

View attachment 15248
Here are a couple pictures: There is an insert in mine not shown in CBJoe's picture. The other picture shows the spring clip, which fell out of mine when I took it off. It really does not fit as far as I can tell, it only there are only extensions on one side of the insert to hold the tangs on one side of the clip and it is slightly oversized to push in place.

Also new vs old pads after 22,000 miles, I really don't use the rear much but do use it more than on other bikes. Wish I had skipped the pads at this point.

Attachments

• 1400 rear caliper insert.jpg
    1400 rear caliper insert.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1400 rear pads - clip.jpg
    1400 rear pads - clip.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 58
Dennis, great intell on the speed bleeders. Do these work on the front calipers as well?

Yikes, it looks like I'm a year late responding to your question about front brake caliper speed bleeders. I guess I'm too late to party but maybe this entry might be helpful going forward. Enjoy.

The answer is yes, THOUGH Piaggio hasn't made it easy for us. Here are the parts and sizes:
Front Calipers: (1 bleeder each caliper) Russell 639570, M7x1.0 by 29mm long {chrome}
Rear Caliper: (one bleeder only) Russell 639520, M8x1.25 by 28mm long {chrome}
Master Cylinders, Both@handlebars: Russell 639570, M7x1.0 by 29mm long {chrome}
Clutch Slave Cylinder: Goodridge SB1010, M10x1.0 by 34mm long {chrome}
I bought all these speed bleeders on Amazon and paid approximately $10 each for them.

The only bleeder I didn't replace was on the rear brake master cylinder.

These speed bleeders are fantastic! Fast, tidy and efficient. I replaced all of the hydraulic fluids in my Cali at two years of age, and I'll do it every two years as maintenance. When it came to bleeding the Clutch I had to bleed it about four times, both at the Master Cylinder and then at the Slave Cylinder to get a nice firm clutch handle.

Dennis, great intell on the speed bleeders. Do these work on the front calipers as well?

Last edited:
Yikes, it looks like I'm a year late responding to your question about front brake caliper speed bleeders. I guess I'm too late to party but maybe this entry might be helpful going forward. Enjoy.

The answer is yes, THOUGH Piaggio hasn't made it easy for us. Here are the parts and sizes:
Front Calipers: (2 bleeders each caliper) Russell 635970, M7x1.0 by 29mm long {chrome}
Rear Caliper: (one bleeder only) Russell 639520, M8x1.25 by 28mm long {chrome}
Master Cylinders, Both@handlebars: Russell 635970, M7x1.0 by 29mm long {chrome}
Clutch Slave Cylinder: Goodridge SB1010, M10x1.0 by 34mm long {chrome}
I bought all these speed bleeders on Amazon and paid approximately $10 each for them.

The only bleeder I didn't replace was on the rear brake master cylinder.

These speed bleeders are fantastic! Fast, tidy and efficient. I replaced all of the hydraulic fluids in my Cali at two years of age, and I'll do it every two years as maintenance. When it came to bleeding the Clutch I had to bleed it about four times, both at the Master Cylinder and then at the Slave Cylinder to get a nice firm clutch handle.
Hey Dennis
Can you confirm part numbers for the Front Calipers/Master Cylinders. I can't find any reference for Russell 635970 but CAN for Russell 639570, M7 x 1.0 x 34mm.
Many thanks.

Hey Dennis
Can you confirm part numbers for the Front Calipers/Master Cylinders. I can't find any reference for Russell 635970 but CAN for Russell 639570, M7 x 1.0 x 34mm.
Many thanks.
Hey, it looks like my dyslexia has surfaced again. You have the correct part number Russell 639570. Nice catch, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I also see that I listed two bleeder nipples each for the front calipers, wrong, just one each. I'll fix it now.

Anyone have a definitive answer on the spring clip? I just left it off as there seems to be no logical place for it to go. It won't fit in the insert and where CBJoe placed it, it is just kind of laying there. Never seen anything like it, usually all the tension springs on other type calipers have an obvious and stable location. The pads fit tightly and are not rattling around without it but its bugging me a little ( not sure I could hear them anyway when riding). I put a little grease in the insert for the sliding action but the pads can't fall out with the disk between them. Also looking in the service manual the rear wheel diagram shows the axle going in from the wrong side of the wheel which doesn't build confidence.

Anyone have a definitive answer on the spring clip? I just left it off as there seems to be no logical place for it to go. It won't fit in the insert and where CBJoe placed it, it is just kind of laying there. Never seen anything like it, usually all the tension springs on other type calipers have an obvious and stable location. The pads fit tightly and are not rattling around without it but its bugging me a little ( not sure I could hear them anyway when riding). I put a little grease in the insert for the sliding action but the pads can't fall out with the disk between them. Also looking in the service manual the rear wheel diagram shows the axle going in from the wrong side of the wheel which doesn't build confidence.

I would put the clip back in where it belongs. The picture of how it’s located in the caliper is posted earlier in this thread.

Can someone tell me the purpose of the bleeders on both clutch and front brake reservoirs on the handlebars? I have a 2017 Cali 1400 and this is my first Guzzi and have never seen this. On a side note I'll mention that I've been using Speed Bleeders (That Brand) for years on all my motorcycles and like mentioned above it makes bleeding your brakes and clutch a one person job and a piece of cake.

Thanks also for the sizes needed for the bleeders as well as I've been looking all over for that information.

Gerry

Can someone tell me the purpose of the bleeders on both clutch and front brake reservoirs on the handlebars? I have a 2017 Cali 1400 and this is my first Guzzi and have never seen this. On a side note I'll mention that I've been using Speed Bleeders (That Brand) for years on all my motorcycles and like mentioned above it makes bleeding your brakes and clutch a one person job and a piece of cake.

Thanks also for the sizes needed for the bleeders as well as I've been looking all over for that information.

Gerry
My guess is to bleed the reservoir if it has air in it. If air has not entered the system I personally would not touch that bleed point and only bleed down at the caliper like every other vehicle that I have ever bled.

Ken

My guess is to bleed the reservoir if it has air in it. If air has not entered the system I personally would not touch that bleed point and only bleed down at the caliper like every other vehicle that I have ever bled.

Ken

Absolultely - If you have to bleed, turn the bars so the bleed screw is at the highest point, release bleed screw slightly and compress lever, repeat until no more air bubbles come out. I do this a lot on Mountain Bikes and there's some good videos on-line showing the process.

Back