• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Potential purchase Norge 1200

santa-2512

Just got it firing!
Looking at a Norge 1200

either an 07 plate or 09 and later

Any horror stories or things to look out for

Keen not to buy a lemon as with my R1200gs :(

Santa :)

I have a 2014 Norge 8V that I bought brand new. Now have about 15,000 miles on the odometer. Great bike, reliable (zero problems so far), super comfortable, great brakes. The only nits i have are the location of the motorized windshield buttons (what were they thinking...?) and the lack of cruise control. I solved the cruise control issue with a Throttlemeister - works great. I love the hard bags as they are water tight, and come off in seconds. If you get an 8 valve, you will need to get a later model like mine, or make sure the rollerization was done if you chose an earlier year. Oil changes (with the right funnel) and valve adjustments are a breeze. The Brembo pads wear like iron, and tires last about 7000 miles. Full coverage insurance is dirt cheap through Allstate.

The Norge is smooth, comfortable, and fast.

I'm another 2014 owner. I bought mine new as a carry-over deal in 2016. I've got 9000 miles on mine and haven't had any issues. I've got some CARC seepage/venting issues going on but it's seemed to heal itself somehow. I put lowered pegs on and a 3/4" lift to the bars and my 67 year old body relaxes quite nicely on it. A CA Scientific windshield works perfectly for me. I wish my 30" inseam allowed me a more flat-footed reach as the bike is a bit top heavy in some low speed/standing situations that I've learned to be careful in. I had only 5300 miles on the original tires when the rear started to show sparkles of steel in the very center. I replaced with Michelin Pilot 4 GT's and they seem to be wearing much better so far. I'm also at Allstate for very moderate premiums. It's fast in a long-legged way and makes the perfect combination of sport and touring for me. Space has me down to one bike and this has become a great compromise.
DSCF0257a2

I have a 2012 (also white) which I bought one year ago with 20,000 km on it. I'm at 31,000 km now and no problems to report. It's a great bike and gets lots of positive comments. I like the fact that it's kind of rare and different. Several of my friends who own various BMWs have tried it out and they all love it.

Looking at a Norge 1200
either an 07 plate or 09 and later
Any horror stories or things to look out for
All you have to do is poke around a little in this section & CARC section. Early (I think only red) '07s had a range of faulty oil pumps, and the 8V motors have a cam recall through end of 2012. I recommend buying as new of a model year as you can find within your budget.

i bought a 2012 8v fur year ago with only 500 miles on clock. by 13000 miles i was worried about the flat tappet issues and finally pulled them to find they were nackered. if it is an 8v before 2012 you need to know if the roller tappets have been fitted as it is an expensive fix. 4v dont have the issue

I'm in the market for a used Norge and have seen quite a few '12's on the market for reasonable prices. Of course, unless the dealer is a Moto Guzzi outlet, he's clueless about the cam issue or whether the bike has been serviced. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Guzzi did not 'recall' bikes for the issue, but will assist in repairing with roller tappets IF you can provide proof of proper service (which most bikes on the used market won't have). Also, they will only cover the cost of the part, not the labor. Wish I was wrong on this, but from what I've read thus far, its a crapshoot if you buy a 2011-12 model.

Back