• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2016 V 7 II won’t start.

Country Roads

Just got it firing!
I just bought a brand new V 7 2 this week. It has 17miles on it. The bike will not start and the dealership is 7 hours away round trip so I was hoping it was something simple to fix. Here are the details.

1. Bike started several times at the dealership and when I unloaded it.

2. I drove it a mile or so and pulled back into my driveway.

3. I had it in neutral on the kickstand idling and went to put it in gear and the kickstand kill switch killed it.

4. After I turned the key off and on, it now wouldn’t respond to the ignition switch. Almost like I had the kill switch turned on.

5. it set 24 hours and I tried it again with the same outcome.

6. I was able to roll start it and it worked fine. ( I started it and drove it for 20 minutes thinking maybe the battery needed to charge, but after I was done, the response was the same. )

Any help would be appreciated

The salesman said that they don’t fill the battery with acid until they sale it. Not sure if that makes a difference

It does make a difference, but if it isn't prepped correctly they won't last long at all. If done correctly the battery will give good service. If not there will be trouble. Guzzi even put out a service bulletin on battery preparation and if it isn't followed it can quit relatively quickly. If you search this forum you should find information on the issue. Again, give the battery a trickle charge and see if that solves your problem. If not, remove the battery and have it load tested which will tell you if it is good or bad for sure.

Thanks for your help on this. Since the closest dealership is 3.5 hours away, and it’s most likely a batterey issue. Other than the cost of battery, is there any reason I shouldn’t just go ahead and replace the battery to just be done?

That I can see? No not really. I don't know what has would cost you to get to the dealership and back but I imagine that it might just be worth it to pick up the battery. The only thing that's be an issue is if the issue turns out to not be the battery.

Thanks for your help on this. Since the closest dealership is 3.5 hours away, and it’s most likely a batterey issue. Other than the cost of battery, is there any reason I shouldn’t just go ahead and replace the battery to just be done?

I don't believe in just throwing money at changing parts. Do the diagnostics to confirm it is the battery. Remove it, charge it, then have it load tested. If it fails the load test, replace it. If it doesn't fail then it is something else. It is just at this point we can't be sure of anything.

Thanks to all for the advice. I pulled the battery and took it to get it checked. They said it was fine. I took it back and reconnected it and it started right up. I didn’t charge it or anything... kinda scratching my head, but hey... it works. Thank you all.

Sounds like the battery connections were loose. If it fails again have the dealership come and pick it up and bring it back when it's fixed. It's a new bike and should run like one. That's what a warranty is all about.

I agree Raven, I called them and they acted like I was a nuisance. The general manager got on the phone and was a little better but I won’t buy another bike from them. The guy at the Cincinnati dealership was awesome, they just didn’t have the bike I wanted.

Over the last 1000 miles my V7 lll
has failed to do so much as a click when I hit the button.2-3 times later it works fine. I suspect a poor connection from dirt rust? Behind the button. I will send it a shot of de-,OXit. (Screw spell check)
when I get home from this run. Might be your problem too!

I would say to all owners, use some contact cleaner on every switch and connector you can find on the bike. Might save lots of anguish later. There are lots of versions around, depending on where you are on this planet.
I've always done so, and seem to have suffered very few electrical gremlins.

when I got back from the trip I pulled the cover from the start switch and cleaned the start button area then replaced the fuel filter just for safety's sake and while I was in there I rotated the three 4 prong relays under the tank and cleaned them too just in case one of them was the starting issue. started fine 20 times then yesterday it failed several times again. you hit the starter button and nothing. push again nothing, next push it fires right up like you hadn't ever pushed it before. Not a clue as to what is wrong.

when I got back from the trip I pulled the cover from the start switch and cleaned the start button area then replaced the fuel filter just for safety's sake and while I was in there I rotated the three 4 prong relays under the tank and cleaned them too just in case one of them was the starting issue. started fine 20 times then yesterday it failed several times again. you hit the starter button and nothing. push again nothing, next push it fires right up like you hadn't ever pushed it before. Not a clue as to what is wrong.

My 2014 V7 Special does the same thing. Seems like 3rd times a charm with mine. My machine only had 1,150 miles on it in Feb. 2018 when I got it, so it might be corrosion as previously posted. If I come up with a fix, I'll certainly post.

I've had similar issues, installed a starter relay by-pass this year and it solved the problem. I purchased it from MPH Cycles. Do a google search on "startus interupttus" and you'll find this is a known issue with other models (B11 I think?) and affecting some V7s.

Back