• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I can’t seem to drag my peg. Can you?

Do you drag your pegs?

• My pegs are ground away, now I drag my feet.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Michael Boeglin

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I ride in Washington state on very, very twisty roads. I’m not a super aggressive rider but I do attack corners with everything I think I’ve got. After a year of trying, I cannot seem to drag the peg on my ‘13 V7. Am I just way more conservative a rider than I think I am, or does this bike have a lot of lean angle? I look at the wear lines on my tires and I see about 1/2 an inch unworn.

If you have a half inch of chicken strip on the back tire, you aren't there yet. Try it on a race track and see what you can do. Check with the local clubs to see if they have track days, or better yet attend a track school.

Seriously don't be concerned about not scraping parts.
Ride your ride & be happy & safe.

It's a good thing to know your limitations but it's a hard & expensive lesson to learn on the street.

As John Z. suggested you might want to try a track school or pick up a raggedy old dirt bike & hit a gravel pit.
Learn to slide & pull out of a slide, lock up the rear brake, do donuts, jack a wheelie, take a jump.......
Builds confidence & skills.

The funny thing about this post is I just realized this past week that I haven't scraped any parts for the past year or so.
That being said on the rare occasion I ride with others I'm still the lead dog & waiting at stop signs......
You don't always have to be scraping parts to be fast thru the corners.

The funny thing about this post is I just realized this past week that I haven't scraped any parts for the past year or so.
That being said on the rare occasion I ride with others I'm still the lead dog & waiting at stop signs......
You don't always have to be scraping parts to be fast thru the corners.

A well made point.

I also find that when I'm scraping parts it's often because I have miscalculated and find myself needing to over correct ~ or something along those lines. ...not exactly that, but something like that.
In other words: In the situations where I scrape something I typically have the feeling that I could have taken the turn just as well, if not better and smoother, had I approached it better.

But I say that after noting that I have made efforts to eliminate the parts on my bike that would have scraped too early.
I wouldn't put the pegs in that category.

well I haven't touched down on either the 2015 or the 17. the 17 has the Conti radials and I just did 310 miles of N. Ga and the Cherohala skyway yesterday. the tires are scared to the edge of the tread but the Contis have less side tread than a normal radial.

My Cal 2 has ground floorboards, that was from 88 before the sidecar. My 1st SP and LM3 all had ground pegs. Sometimes it just happens.

well I haven't touched down on either the 2015 or the 17. the 17 has the Conti radials and I just did 310 miles of N. Ga and the Cherohala skyway yesterday. the tires are scared to the edge of the tread but the Contis have less side tread than a normal radial.

Hey which radials are you running?

Thanks for the feedback. Don’t worry I’m not obsessed with it, mostly just curious about the bike itself. My Versys I know I will never touch down on, and some of my older bikes have scraped way faster than I guessed they would (1980 Suzuki GS750E, 73 CB350 Four.) the V7 just looks like it should be a scraper, and I know the newer V9 has a love affair with pavement, so I’m continuously surprised to get through a steep corner with no screech.

Thanks for the feedback. Don’t worry I’m not obsessed with it, mostly just curious about the bike itself. My Versys I know I will never touch down on, and some of my older bikes have scraped way faster than I guessed they would (1980 Suzuki GS750E, 73 CB350 Four.) the V7 just looks like it should be a scraper, and I know the newer V9 has a love affair with pavement, so I’m continuously surprised to get through a steep corner with no screech.

I ride with Beau1K (I'm on a '13 V7R and he's on a '18 V7 III R), and, yeah, he's scraped both of his pipes pretty extensively as well as (maybe) the side stand on his bike? I've pretty much eliminated most of the stock components that would scrape, the last of which was the OEM side stand. We both have tubeless Continental RA3 radials on our bikes, which are sufficiently grippy to allow for, pretty much, as much lean as you want on these bikes. Beau1K definitely has to contend with a shallower lean angle since he's sporting the stock exhausts.

PasoDuc88 also rides with us on a V9. He has a lot more ground clearance issues than we do on the V7Rs. I think he scrapes the pegs on every turn.

IMG 0961 IMG 4248

I scraped my foot once.... Shitty old Metzler tyres.
That said, what are those bolts called, that you fit in the peg tips?

I ride with Beau1K (I'm on a '13 V7R and he's on a '18 V7 III R), and, yeah, he's scraped both of his pipes pretty extensively as well as (maybe) the side stand on his bike? I've pretty much eliminated most of the stock components that would scrape, the last of which was the OEM side stand. We both have tubeless Continental RA3 radials on our bikes, which are sufficiently grippy to allow for, pretty much, as much lean as you want on these bikes. Beau1K definitely has to contend with a shallower lean angle since he's sporting the stock exhausts.

PasoDuc88 also rides with us on a V9. He has a lot more ground clearance issues than we do on the V7Rs. I think he scrapes the pegs on every turn.

View attachment 15299 View attachment 15300

Scraping pegs (or any part of the bike for that matter) is not my idea of fun - result could be ugly if you're not expecting it. The Roamer is my first "cruiserish" bike and I love it, but sometimes do forget it wasn't necessarily meant to be ridden hard through corners (that's speaks to the handling characteristics of the bike though). However, I'll soon be picking it up from Todd with new suspension components (Matris front and rear) and the OEM rear-set pegs installed. I'm hoping these rear-sets will give me just a bit more clearance.

Back