• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help deciding between two 2014 v7 stones

tatxo

Just got it firing!
Hi guys,

New here hoping to become a regular, I am about to buy a v7 stone, however I have seen two in black and I am not able to make a decision.
- First one is completely stock 4.000km, one owner.
- Second one has clip-on handlebars plus upgraded exhausts (louder and deeper sound). 3000km two owners.

I have been out of motorcycling for 20 years, so it is going to be my first moto in a while. I wonder if it is safer the stock handlebar to use for short and medium trips (up to 5 hours). The clip-on gives you a more sporty position, however my bikes back in time were all with neutral position. What is your opinion on the handlebars? Are the after market exhausts an option to consider or the stock are good enough?

Third option would be to spend 40% more and get a V7iii new, however I would prefer to spend less and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated!

Regards,
Miguel.

You didn't mention what years these are. And your age, and ability to ride with clip-ons. Of course, you could always change handlebars. And the noise of exhaust is up to you also. Odd that the one has had 2 owners in 3000 km. Of course, I would spend more and get the new one, with a warranty, (although I haven't needed the warranty in 12,000 miles on my V7III, yet.)

Thanks for the reply. They are both 2014. I have been test riding a 2012 v7 with clips-on and it is fine for a while, however I am not sure for medium distances. I am 47 in a decent shape. My fear with the new one is that the insurance is going to sky rocket because for the companies I am a new rider here in Canada.

I'd go stock and one owner, then you can customize yourself when/if you'd like. FWIW.

Then, since you mention V7 III, the big thing to me over V7 2014 was ABS/TC and that came with the V7 II. So if such should appear to your liking I'd think about that.

Sidenote: I have a 2016 with 4000km, it still look like new if that is helpful. Kept indoor.

How much would be a reasonable price for a 2014, 4.000km v7 stone? (I live in Canada, seems the demand here is low on these bikes)

FWIW, I gave $4,200 last March for my 2014 Special w/ 1,150 miles on the clock. Stock, sans dart screen, hagon shocks, sprint filter, and MOSFET regulator. Not sure how that compares to market, but it was that or about $3K for a 40 year old airhead beemer...

I suppose that is USD so I believe that is like CAD$5,500. Sounds like a good deal, I suppose I should try to get that price instead of the CAD$6,000

Yes, that was USD. I generally assume at least 10% wiggle room on any used machine listed for sale at market value and, as a cheapskate, offer about 20% less with hopes that the seller is hungry enough to take my offer. Good luck with your purchase.

I started riding again a few years ago after a 15 year gap. I started with a Ducati ST sport tourer with a moderately low riding position, probably a little taller than V7 with clipons. It was a mistake. Lots of pain on anything but short rides. I ended up selling and getting a V7 with OEM bars. Then I started riding 300-400 mile days no problem. I’ve been doing strength training in my core muscles, arms and upper body so that I can eventually go back to a lower position, but it will be at least a year. You have enough to worry about as a reborn rider, mostly staying safe. Don’t let pain be a factor.

I suppose that is USD so I believe that is like CAD$5,500. Sounds like a good deal, I suppose I should try to get that price instead of the CAD$6,000

for 2014 stock V7 first gen, 5500 CDN is about right.

People are trying to get around 6500~6000 range for the non-abs one. For V7ii with ABS, a lot of people are asking 7000 +/- CDN around my area. But remember, that is asking price. You can always negotiate.

Now, UNLESS your body can handle clip on without the racer style rear set (which you didn't mention), I wouldn't try to ride long with that set up...too much "bend" it puts my body.

as much as I would love the upgraded pipe, my vote is stock version with stock pipe.

@4000 KM, the bike is barely broken in.

Back