• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California Touring: engine heat while riding

sahil

Just got it firing!
Hi all, need some advice please. I’m about to purchase the 2017 California Touring (my first Guzzi and big bike). Took it out on a test ride earlier this week and noticed that there was a lot of heat coming from the engine for the lower part of the legs. Understand that this is the result of how the engine is placed but was wondering if there were any particular solutions to resolve this? It was a fairly cold and windy day so I didn’t mind it but worried that it might not be that pleasant on a hot sunny day esp. for long rides.

Thought this would be the best place to get views than listen to the salesman!

When the 1400 first came out there were "things" (LOL don't know what to call them) that mounted behind the cylinders that deflected some of the hot air.

A proper tune will solve the problem & have the bike running correctly.
Contact todd at guzzitech.com for info.

You can also check out the "Store" tab above & search the forum, well documented.

When riding in summer, I move my knees away from the tank a few cm, and the hot air gets away pretty well. As noted, the GT-Rx fueling package makes a big difference to engine heat, quite apart from the performance improvement.

Stephen

Also, in my limited experience, once mileage is up around 9,000-10,000, a noticeable drop in running temp is noticed, and just runs better in general. I assume from finally bedding in the piston rings. I know both my Cali 1400 Custom and my newly over-hauled topend (gilardonis) 71 Ambassador took that long...

Jim

When riding in summer, I move my knees away from the tank a few cm, and the hot air gets away pretty well. As noted, the GT-Rx fueling package makes a big difference to engine heat, quite apart from the performance improvement.

I've found the same thing, if you move your legs out a bit the hot air tends to blow through. I've ridden in temps around 40c and it hasn't been a problem. Also kevlar lined jeans help.

I would agree with John L, average temp here at the moment 35C although uncomfortable not unbearable. I find a lot of heat is generated from the injector covers rather than the engine itself, and mine is GT-Rx fuelling modified.
Solution : ride fast = more cooling air.

I haven't noticed that my California generates any more heat than any other bike I have owned. I was a bit concerned about the cylinders being so close to my legs but that has proven to be unfounded. The reality is that it is a big, air cooled engine. You can expect it to put out some heat. I have never caught myself thinking "man, this is the hottest bike I have ridden".

ALL bikes are air cooled, directly or indirectly. They all heat the air either with cylinder fins, or with a radiator. Yes, there is some warm air on your legs with the Moto Guzzi 1400, but I have never specifically felt heat radiating from the cylinder heads.

ALL bikes are air cooled, directly or indirectly. They all heat the air either with cylinder fins, or with a radiator. Yes, there is some warm air on your legs with the Moto Guzzi 1400, but I have never specifically felt heat radiating from the cylinder heads.

Seriously? I can tell you that I even at speed the Cali1400 gets toasty around my knees and inner thighs. It’s tolerable...but it’s there. Maybe it’s not any hotter than my other bikes (Triumph Bonnie, cb740k2, xs750f, etc...)

But those bikes have physically smaller engines that aren’t as close to my bits as the Cali.

Joe

Hi all, need some advice please. I’m about to purchase the 2017 California Touring (my first Guzzi and big bike). Took it out on a test ride earlier this week and noticed that there was a lot of heat coming from the engine for the lower part of the legs. Understand that this is the result of how the engine is placed but was wondering if there were any particular solutions to resolve this? It was a fairly cold and windy day so I didn’t mind it but worried that it might not be that pleasant on a hot sunny day esp. for long rides.

Thought this would be the best place to get views than listen to the salesman!

Well I switched to the air cooled Cali precisely because it was cooler than my previous two bikes (FZ1 and FZ6). Both of those were water cooled and fried my butt in even moderate temperatures (25-30C). FZ6 in particular had under seat exhausts and I suspect more than just my butt got fried too !!!.

The heat transferred down their subframes and seat would get hot to the touch. When the fan kicked in at traffic light it was like standing in front of a hair dryer. Seriously compared to those two (and I guess a lot of other water cooled bikes), the Cali is fine, just stick your legs out a bit.

Riding an air/oil cooled two engine is still like riding a hot stove with handlebars. No matter with my Victory, Harley or Norge.
Only thing you can do is make sure fueling is richer rather than leaner side while idling and cruising mode.

Back