• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Suspension Thread

More info coming soon... We have fitted the Matris F15K kit and Ohlins PB's to our V9/7 (Bobber).

I recommend pushing the forks up in the triple trees 10-20mm. This will help with stability and turn in for those who enjoy twisty road riding.

Specs below for a 190 lb rider in street clothes.

KAIFA FORKS:

FRONT WHEEL TRAVEL: 5.1 in./129.5mm
TARGET SAG: 43 mm

OEM Kaifa Forks
(Can someone measure for me?)
Unladen: --- mm
Static: --- mm
Laden: --- mm
Sag Total: ? mm

Matris F15K Cartridge Kit
Unladen: 180 mm
Static: 145 mm
Laden: 137 mm (Preload set to 5th ring, 4 rings showing above cap)
Sag Total: 43 mm
Compression: 0 turns
Rebound: +2 turns

Notes:

STOCK KYB SHOCKS:

LENGTH: 347 mm
REAR WHEEL TRAVEL: 3.8 in./96.5mm
TARGET SAG: 32 mm

OEM Shocks as delivered:
Unladen: 315 mm
Static: 308 mm
Laden: 283 mm
Sag Total as delivered: 32 mm

Ohlins PB out of the box:
Unladen: 314 mm
Static: 312 mm
Laden: 295 mm
Total SAG as delivered: 19 mm
- 8 turns preload:
Static: 308 mm
Laden: 282 mm
Sag Total = 32 mm

IMG 0401

Lowering your bike? This is the same for the V9:

Last edited:
I ordered the Matris fork cartridges and Matris standard (non-piggy back) shocks from Todd and had them installed. It's night and day. Still a firm ride, I don't think the V9 is supposed to be plush, but the occasionally harshness of the stock set is gone. More importantly, much more planted and confidence-inspiring. Very worth doing if you want to change the bike from toy-like to something more road-worthy.

OK to bump the thread I post several questions about V9 rear suspension:
1. Is V9 rear suspension exactly the same as V7III (except racer)?
2. Has anybody seen/tried new MY 2018 V9 Roamer rear shocks? Moto guzzi says they are now different. At least on the pictures MY 2018 I see different , more convenient, preload adjusting mechanism.
3. Given that my weight with gear is about 190 lbs, would it be correct to say that the firmness of stock springs in rear shocks of V9 is not an issue? Is it damping setting which make the ride so uncomfortable?
4. Does preload setting affect riding comfort? People say to me "relax your preload If you complain about stiffness when ride over bumps". But theory says that preload only deals with sag. Or does preload setting shall also affect comfort if springs are progressive?

The question specifically to Todd:
Please recommend rear shocks option (may be + fork upgrade) if I'm after maximal comfort and practice exclusively relaxed urban cruising on my V9 Roamer, whithout pillion. My weight in gear is around 190 lbs.

Last edited:
OK to bump the thread I post several questions about V9 rear suspension...

1. Yes
2. Have not. I’d wager they are largely the same.
3. What are the sag #’s? If correct, then yes, valving.
4. No, unless completely the wrong springs for your weight.

Options are (again) on the Store page, linked above also.

Options are (again) on the Store page, linked above also.
This is why Im asking for specific advice. I dont know which option from your store fits my needs best: " maximal comfort and relaxed urban cruising on the roads with not very good pavement". I'd prefer shocks without piggy back (for the style reasons), unless they make significant comfort difference.

P.S. Currently I have a factory sag set up, but I gonna measure it.

Picked up my 2017 V9 Roamer today from Todd's place with the new Matris F15 Fork Cartridge Kit and Matris Standard Twin Shocks installed... The improvement is wholly remarkable - far better feel and much better shock absorption front and rear. Less brake dive also.

I was so immediately happy with the change that I soon found myself going out of my way to hit bumps and rough spots in the pavement on the ride home...grinning ear to ear the entire time. :D

I think Adan put it best when he stated the bike is "more road-worthy" with these changes. Without a doubt this is how a motorcycle should feel - the suspension is now on par with the motor of this bike.

Haaaa... I knew you would be happy with the suspension mods!
I also have the Matris F15 Fork Cartridge Kit on my bike along with a custom built set of K-Tech PB rear shocks. The difference in feel vs stock is astounding!

It's surprising (not surprising) how much simply putting on better suspension components opens up the performance of the motor. Connecting the bike to road better alleviates many (previously unrecognized) instances of needing to de-power the bike due to insufficiently damped suspension responses. Higher quality suspension components allow one to precisely and smoothly wring out the available power in the motor without needing to disruptively and periodically pull back from the engine's delivery curves due to having to compensate for insufficiently handled road conditions. You're going to fall in love with your bike all over again!

Picked up my 2017 V9 Roamer today from Todd's place with the new Matris F15 Fork Cartridge Kit and Matris Standard Twin Shocks installed... The improvement is wholly remarkable - far better feel and much better shock absorption front and rear. Less brake dive also.
I was so immediately happy with the change that I soon found myself going out of my way to hit bumps and rough spots in the pavement on the ride home...grinning ear to ear the entire time. :D
I think Adan put it best when he stated the bike is "more road-worthy" with these changes. Without a doubt this is how a motorcycle should feel - the suspension is now on par with the motor of this bike.
Fantastic, thanks for the post!
It's an expensive buy in I know, but when done, seems worth every penny and more. Right?
If you think it's good now, wait until you let the motor breathe and let some of that fantastic Guzzi sound out!
See you Sunday.

Haaaa... I knew you would be happy with the suspension mods!
I also have the Matris F15 Fork Cartridge Kit on my bike along with a custom built set of K-Tech PB rear shocks. The difference in feel vs stock is astounding!

It's surprising (not surprising) how much simply putting on better suspension components opens up the performance of the motor. Connecting the bike to road better alleviates many (previously unrecognized) instances of needing to de-power the bike due to insufficiently damped suspension responses. Higher quality suspension components allow one to precisely and smoothly wring out the available power in the motor without needing to disruptively and periodically pull back from the engine's delivery curves due to having to compensate for insufficiently handled road conditions. You're going to fall in love with your bike all over again!

Very well stated, Stradagene. And the love affair has already reignited!

Fantastic, thanks for the post!
It's an expensive buy in I know, but when done, seems worth every penny and more. Right?
If you think it's good now, wait until you let the motor breathe and let some of that fantastic Guzzi sound out!
See you Sunday.

Absolutely worth it, Todd! And I'm already plotting my ECU flash and exhaust purchase - the simple evap tweak you did was plenty enough to get me primed for more.

Finally managed to get Matris F15 and M40KC (piggyback) for my V9 Roamer and have it all installed (in Russia).

My weight is 190-195 lbs (86-89 kg) in gear, solo riding only, no luggage. M40KC was supplied with springs rated 20n/mm, fork springs rated 7,5 n/mm.

Rider front sag of 43 mm and rider rear sag of 30 mm are achieved with zero preload. Rear free sag (bike weight only) is 15 mm.

Does anybody have idea how interpret this figures? Is it OK when rider sag is achieved with zero preload?
My preliminary conclusion is that shock and fork springs are a liitle bit stiff for my weight, particulary if I seek for the softer ride.

New suspension on V9 is definitely better than stock. However its far from plushness of 2017 CB1100EX or 2012 R1200R.

Wondering if there is a problem with spring rates or is it the small rear suspension travel, which limits V9's potential comfort on bad roads.
MG1 MG2 MG3
Cb1100EX R1200R

Last edited:

Congrats on upgrade! What is your weight, springs rates and damping settings?

Congrats on upgrade! What is your weight, springs rates and damping settings?

TweeZ4 -

My weight without gear is 160 lbs.; springs rates are same as yours (7.5 front and 20 rear); currently front rebound and compression are set at 15 clicks; rear rebound set at 20 clicks (non-piggybacks so no compression adjustment); preload up front set to 2 rings showing; preload out back set to about 5 rings showing.

Ride is much more comfortable but I wouldn't call it "soft" - still has what I'd consider a performance-oriented feel to it, just not harsh. I hope this helps!

TweeZ4 -

My weight without gear is 160 lbs.; springs rates are same as yours (7.5 front and 20 rear); currently front rebound and compression are set at 15 clicks; rear rebound set at 20 clicks (non-piggybacks so no compression adjustment); preload up front set to 2 rings showing; preload out back set to about 5 rings showing.

Ride is much more comfortable but I wouldn't call it "soft" - still has what I'd consider a performance-oriented feel to it, just not harsh. I hope this helps!

Hi! I see that you have all damping settings according to Matris manuals for F15 and M40D. Have you tested other setting yet?

And what are your sag number, front and rear?
You are much lighter than me (160 vs 190 lbs) and you have dialed pretty much preload (I have zero preload on the same springs)

Hi! I see that you have all damping settings according to Matris manuals for F15 and M40D. Have you tested other setting yet?

And what are your sag number, front and rear?
You are much lighter than me (160 vs 190 lbs) and you have dialed pretty much preload (I have zero preload on the same springs)

Hi TweeZ4,

I've not played around with the setting yet but I intend to a bit in the coming days. I'll also measure the sag when I get the chance. As for the weight & preload, I also have the OEM Guzzi side cases mounted; not sure what I'll do to my preload settings if/when I decide to remove them.

Back