• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850T starting issue - short?

Britcheflee

Just got it firing!
So, as suggested I got my meter out, fully charged battery and reconnected - turned on ignition switch and lights came on - then as per usual as soon as I touched any button/switch they went out. Connected negative side of meter to negative battery side and although lights out there is power to lets say the turn signal relay, the relay down by the starter and on all fuse box fuses (apart from the two which I think are lights? - to the left of the box when looking to rear of bike.
However, when I touched the positive lead of the meter to any ground on the bike - even the cylinder heads it shows 12 volts with the ignition switch on, nothing when its off. To me, that indicates I have a short somewhere? Wondering if a wire up in the push button starter on the handlebar is grounding out there?

If the battery is two years old or older it is probably bad.
A proper load test is the only way to tell.

When dealing with electrical issues always start at the source: The battery.
A bad battery will show voltage BUT it is amperage (load) that is needed to spin the starter.
A battery with a bad cell may still show voltage but may not allow a "jump" start from another battery or vehicle.

If you are familiar enough with wrenching then try jumping the solenoid at the starter.
If the starter engages & spins the engine the battery is "good enough" for the moment.

The "click click" no start is a common well known issue referred to as "Startus interuptus".
Do a search on this site using that terminology & read up on the way to fix it.

The 850T doesn't have the issue with "Startus interuptus" the small block and CARC bikes have. Your meter reading are really not possible if you are connecting correctly. If you have the negative on the battery negative, and touch the positive to ground that should be no reading as both leads are at a ground point. Please check how you are connecting the meter. Have you cleaned all you connectors as V700Steve suggested in you other thread?

You could also put the meter across the battery, hopefully read about 12-13 volts with "no load" then attempt to start the bike and observe the voltmeter. If it drops to below 10 volts you need a new battery.

Hmm, I'd better go and replace the batteries on the 4 bikes in my garage then as they're all well over 2 years old...damn, and they're running so well :rolleyes:

Yep, I've got a stable full of bikes also & some of those batteries are over 2 years old but on average after 50 years of riding I have found out that most "modern" batteries are becoming unreliable between that two & three year period.

When bike batteries were only $35.00 bucks it wasn't so bad but now at $100.00 plus it's cringe worthy.

What do you consider a "modern" battery? A certain type (SLA, AGM) or made within a certain time period? A few of my customers have "Big Crank" (Deka) AGM batteries that have been in service for 7 years, without ever having been on a charger or maintainer. The AC Delco 55-6 in my Ambassador is 13 years old and still cranks the engine "vigorously".

I used to use the Deka in the old loop frames & sold them as well, always got good service out of them.

I don't know who makes Auto Zone, Discount Auto Parts, Wal Marts or Bike Master batteries but I have had failures on all of those within 3 years or less. Not just on my bikes.

And before any one asks I do know how to properly fill & charge a battery & the charging system on the bikes was working properly.

Best luck I've had are with Interstate batteries.

Just my experience.

Back