• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NGK plug caps...

When I did the valve adjust I closely examined the factory spark plug cap and boot assemblies. I don't see what all the fuss is about, the engineering looks solid and they have a quality feel ?...

Last edited:
When I did the valve adjust I closely examined the factory spark plug cap and boot assemblies. I don't see what all the fuss is about, the engineering looks solid and they have a quality feel ?...

If removed improperly (see threads on this) they develop cracks and you get the spark arcing.

If removed improperly (see threads on this) they develop cracks and you get the spark arcing.

Ah, got it. Makes sense due to the angled cap. Think I found the removal method in one of your posts (?...) It was to use a zip-tie and slide it underneath the horizontal part of the cap and move outboard until it's by vertical part of the cap, then gently apply steady pull until they release and lift out of the well. Doing it that way was pretty easy, actually.

Last edited:
Ah, got it. Makes sense due to the angled cap. Think I found the removal method in one of your posts (?...) It was to use a zip-tie and slide it underneath the horizontal part of the cap and move outboard until it's by vertical part of the cap, then gently apply steady pull until they release and lift out of the well. Doing it that way was pretty easy, actually.

Wasn't one of my posts, but it is a good technique.

Hi guys, how do you know if you have a failing plug cap, I cannot see any cracks, everything look good.
But i noticed a new tapping noise on the right cylinder, look like that i use more gas and little backfiring, when going high in rpm everything is OK ? any idea ( i did order the NGK caps ) with what i read it could be a plug cap problem ?

The cylinder would cut out sporadically or all together. You would see white marks on the cap where it arcs to the cylinder head. Would not cause any engine noise. Still a good idea to change them out as it just adds peace of mind. The original caps can eventually breakdown even being very careful with them.

Are you sure it does not just need a valve adjustment. Clearances get larger (and noisier) on these bikes with tappets as opposed to tighter with shim and bucket.

If your Stelvio uses the same NGK CR8EKB (solid terminal) plug as the Norge 8V, then you also need the NGK SD05F caps for their 10/12mm lower gaskets to tightly seal against the plug insulator. Or you could use NGK CR8EK plugs having the threaded terminals matching the NGK SD05F caps.

Thanks for your answer, I used at the moment the NGK Iridium CR8EIX, any idea about the plug cap I should use ? thanks again for your help ...(i order the SB05E from NGK)

Thanks for your answer, I used at the moment the NGK Iridium CR8EIX, any idea about the plug cap I should use ? thanks again for your help ...(i order the SB05E from NGK)

Depends on if the end is solid terminal or threaded. See Bert's post. I'd say your ordered the correct cap.

Apologies if I wasn't clear.

If you use the CR8EKB/4374 plug, then you need to buy four caps, two SB05E (solid terminal, 14mm insulator) and two SD05F (threaded terminal, 10/12mm insulator). You remove the bottom seals from the SD05Fs and put them on the SB05Es to tightly seal the CR8EKB insulator as the original SB05E seals are too big to fit tightly. This is my situation.

If you use the CR8EK/3478 or the CR8EIX/4218 plug, then you only need to buy two SD05F caps because the solid terminal unscrews leaving a threaded terminal with tightly sealed insulator.

The lower seal is a close fit in the spark plug well so use a bit of silicone dielectric grease on the outside as well as the inside. I'm partial to Ford XG-3-A.

Back