• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

General Guzzi maintainence questions from a potential new V7 owner

Irving

Just got it firing!
Hi there! I'm seriously considering buying a V7. I'm also considering a few other bikes from Honda, Ducati, Yamaha, but the biggest thing that is important to me is that a bike be maintenance friendly and inviting to work on. I love bikes that are meant to be rebuilt and to last for decades. Motto Guzzi has been very interesting to me lately for a number of reasons and I'm very drawn to these bikes. Do I understand correctly that the V7 (and perhaps all Guzzis) have separate gearbox oil, engine oil and driveshaft oil and that the clutch is dry? Most bikes I've ever ridden have only had one motor oil and the gears and clutch live right in that same bath. Three different oils and a dry clutch is a very new idea to me. Does having the gear oil separate from the motor oil prolong life of the motor and gearbox parts? What kind of a life can be expected from the dry clutch? Is the clutch difficult/time consuming to replace when that time comes? The wet clutches on the old Honda twins that I'm used to can be replaced in less than 30 min so I'm curious how replacing a dry Guzzi clutch compares. I'm super drawn to the Guzzi and would love to hear from you guys about maintenance of these items and what the experience is like. Is there a good track record of how many miles can be logged on a modern Guzzi before a ring job and general rebuild is required? I'm looking to buy a new bike that I can ride and maintain for years to come and perhaps that will be a Guzzi. Thanks!

Yes, there is separate oils for the engine, gearbox and bevel drive. This means there is no compromise finding an oil that can provide good lubrication for different demands.

Replacing the clutch is not as easy as your Honda. I've only done one, the rear end and the gearbox has to be removed, or the whole engine and gearbox removed from the frame. Not a difficult job, but time consuming.

The modern Guzzi will last a long time before seroser maintenance is required. Despite owning over 20 Guzzis, I've never even removed a head off one. And on comparison with other marques, they are easy to work on. Expect some silly little idiosyncrasies to occur, but just part of the fun of owning such a wpnderwon bike.

So what are you waiting for, go and buy one.

Yes, there is separate oils for the engine, gearbox and bevel drive. This means there is no compromise finding an oil that can provide good lubrication for different demands.

Replacing the clutch is not as easy as your Honda. I've only done one, the rear end and the gearbox has to be removed, or the whole engine and gearbox removed from the frame. Not a difficult job, but time consuming.

The modern Guzzi will last a long time before seroser maintenance is required. Despite owning over 20 Guzzis, I've never even removed a head off one. And on comparison with other marques, they are easy to work on. Expect some silly little idiosyncrasies to occur, but just part of the fun of owning such a wpnderwon bike.

So what are you waiting for, go and buy one.

Thanks for a great reply. Is the operation of the dry clutch any different than a multi plate wet clutch? Do you have to alter technique at all?

Thanks for a great reply. Is the operation of the dry clutch any different than a multi plate wet clutch? Do you have to alter technique at all?

There are no difference in technic in terms of operating. You just need to be a bit more vigilant regarding to the slipping the clutch since dry clutch is not as forgiving as wet clutch when getting slipped and heat up.

As for clutch construction. I would say Guzzi clutch is build more similar to a car than the multi
-plate wet clutches out that most bikes have...at least that is how I understand it.

The Moto Guzzi V7 series bikes are amongst the easiest motorcycles currently available to do a full standard service on. The engine is very simple and inviting to work on: with the right tools (nothing fancy!) and a little practice, you can do a service end to end in about an hour and a little. Maintained and not abused overmuch, the engines, gearbox, and rear drive (transmission in Guzzi nomenclature) are extremely robust, as well as easy to live with.

As someone else said, the separate oil for engine, gearbox, and rear drive means each part of the bike gets the right lubricant. The dry clutch means that none of the usual little bits of clutch material that come off while using the bike contaminate the engine or gearbox lubricating oil, and it also means that the clutch runs cooler and the plates don't stick together like wet clutches sometimes can in cold weather ... this makes for very clean disengagement and clean shifting action.

Because the clutch is sandwiched between the engine and transmission, to replace a clutch means taking those two pieces apart from one another, which means in turn a lot of dismantling and reassembly of the whole bike. None of it is particularly hard to do, but it is a lot of work. However, Guzzi clutches have nearly always been very very long lasting and reliable—I put something like 200,000 combined miles on my '75 850T and '89 LeMans V and never had to replace any clutch plates or springs on either. The V7 clutch is pretty much the same design.

Is the operation of the dry clutch any different than a multi plate wet clutch? Do you have to alter technique at all?

The operation is the same, with a couple of things to note:
  • If you've never ridden a bike with a longitudinally oriented crankshaft and shaft drive, the first time you start a Moto Guzzi V7 and blip the throttle, you'll feel the engine pulses go through the frame and tingle your hands in an odd way (compared to your typical chain-drive, transverse crankshaft bike). You'll feel the torque reaction of the motor trying to rotate the bike around the axis of the crankshaft. These are similar to the sensations you might feel on a typical BMW flat twin, but a little more exaggerated at idle and when standing still. (The BMW flat twin vibrates a little more at higher RPM while the Guzzi V twin gets smoother at higher rpm, due to the geometries of their engine designs.) The vibration is a low frequency pulsing rather than a finger numbing buzz: I find it actually rather pleasant. :)
  • The dry clutch, if properly adjusted, disengages engine and gearbox extremely cleanly ... so cleanly in fact that sometimes it is difficult to get the gearbox to engage first gear when standing still (the gears' dogs and splines are sitting still and are blocking each other). This is easily solved by just letting the clutch out a tiny bit so the transmission starts to rotate and the gears become unblocked.
  • The engagement point of the dry clutch is very smooth and quick, and Moto Guzzi engines have a nice bit of flywheel to help them idle smoothly and evenly, so when you let the clutch out you can actually do it a little too fast and get a bit of a lurch as you set off. Watching other new Guzzi riders, it only takes setting off from a stop a couple of times to see that they have learned this and accommodated it in their clutch operation. The V7 III's engine map, even stock, has lovely smooth and consistent low rpm throttle response, the clutch and gearbox are very consistent and smooth in operation; these characteristics help you learn how to manage shifting very quickly. Remapped with the GT-Rx ECU tool, the low-rpm throttle response is simply amazing: the best of any motorcycle I've ridden since my own hand-fettled Moto Guzzis of the past.
  • The dry clutch and simple clutch releasing mechanism give excellent feel for what's going on in the engine bay too. This is a very forgiving engine and transmission... there is absolutely no need whatever to slip the clutch overmuch and overheat it.
Every time I get on my V7III Racer for a ride, I cannot help but break out in a huge smile as I motor away. It is just the most seductively fun motorcycle to ride. Not the fastest, not the biggest, not the most outrageous, but one of the prettiest nicest running bikes I've ever had. And an easy machine to maintain properly too. The only downside is that it's been so reliable, there really hasn't been much to do other than to just ride it and enjoy ... if that's a downside. :D

The Moto Guzzi V7 series bikes are amongst the easiest motorcycles currently available to do a full standard service on. The engine is very simple and inviting to work on: with the right tools (nothing fancy!) and a little practice, you can do a service end to end in about an hour and a little. Maintained and not abused overmuch, the engines, gearbox, and rear drive (transmission in Guzzi nomenclature) are extremely robust, as well as easy to live with.

As someone else said, the separate oil for engine, gearbox, and rear drive means each part of the bike gets the right lubricant. The dry clutch means that none of the usual little bits of clutch material that come off while using the bike contaminate the engine or gearbox lubricating oil, and it also means that the clutch runs cooler and the plates don't stick together like wet clutches sometimes can in cold weather ... this makes for very clean disengagement and clean shifting action.

Because the clutch is sandwiched between the engine and transmission, to replace a clutch means taking those two pieces apart from one another, which means in turn a lot of dismantling and reassembly of the whole bike. None of it is particularly hard to do, but it is a lot of work. However, Guzzi clutches have nearly always been very very long lasting and reliable—I put something like 200,000 combined miles on my '75 850T and '89 LeMans V and never had to replace any clutch plates or springs on either. The V7 clutch is pretty much the same design.

Is the operation of the dry clutch any different than a multi plate wet clutch? Do you have to alter technique at all?

The operation is the same, with a couple of things to note:
  • If you've never ridden a bike with a longitudinally oriented crankshaft and shaft drive, the first time you start a Moto Guzzi V7 and blip the throttle, you'll feel the engine pulses go through the frame and tingle your hands in an odd way (compared to your typical chain-drive, transverse crankshaft bike). You'll feel the torque reaction of the motor trying to rotate the bike around the axis of the crankshaft. These are similar to the sensations you might feel on a typical BMW flat twin, but a little more exaggerated at idle and when standing still. (The BMW flat twin vibrates a little more at higher RPM while the Guzzi V twin gets smoother at higher rpm, due to the geometries of their engine designs.) The vibration is a low frequency pulsing rather than a finger numbing buzz: I find it actually rather pleasant. :)
  • The dry clutch, if properly adjusted, disengages engine and gearbox extremely cleanly ... so cleanly in fact that sometimes it is difficult to get the gearbox to engage first gear when standing still (the gears' dogs and splines are sitting still and are blocking each other). This is easily solved by just letting the clutch out a tiny bit so the transmission starts to rotate and the gears become unblocked.
  • The engagement point of the dry clutch is very smooth and quick, and Moto Guzzi engines have a nice bit of flywheel to help them idle smoothly and evenly, so when you let the clutch out you can actually do it a little too fast and get a bit of a lurch as you set off. Watching other new Guzzi riders, it only takes setting off from a stop a couple of times to see that they have learned this and accommodated it in their clutch operation. The V7 III's engine map, even stock, has lovely smooth and consistent low rpm throttle response, the clutch and gearbox are very consistent and smooth in operation; these characteristics help you learn how to manage shifting very quickly. Remapped with the GT-Rx ECU tool, the low-rpm throttle response is simply amazing: the best of any motorcycle I've ridden since my own hand-fettled Moto Guzzis of the past.
  • The dry clutch and simple clutch releasing mechanism give excellent feel for what's going on in the engine bay too. This is a very forgiving engine and transmission... there is absolutely no need whatever to slip the clutch overmuch and overheat it.
Every time I get on my V7III Racer for a ride, I cannot help but break out in a huge smile as I motor away. It is just the most seductively fun motorcycle to ride. Not the fastest, not the biggest, not the most outrageous, but one of the prettiest nicest running bikes I've ever had. And an easy machine to maintain properly too. The only downside is that it's been so reliable, there really hasn't been much to do other than to just ride it and enjoy ... if that's a downside. :D

You almost make it sound too good! I've been waiting to hear something negative about Guzzi quality but just haven't heard it yet which is impressive. The more involved nature of replacing the clutch doesn't bother me too terribly much. I've replaced a handful of automotive clutches and you have to separate the motor from the tranny in any of those cases AND it's all much bigger and heavier pieces than anything on a bike. Thanks for all of that great info and tips. :)

You almost make it sound too good! I've been waiting to hear something negative about Guzzi quality but just haven't heard it yet which is impressive. The more involved nature of replacing the clutch doesn't bother me too terribly much. I've replaced a handful of automotive clutches and you have to separate the motor from the tranny in any of those cases AND it's all much bigger and heavier pieces than anything on a bike. Thanks for all of that great info and tips. :)

There isn't much negative to report that I've experienced with the V7III other than what is immediately apparent from the spec sheet or simple stupid stuff ... like the EVAP system valve that can cause a high vacuum to build up in the fuel tank, the relatively crude damping in the front suspension, the fact that the nice Öhlins rear suspension units on my Racer were equipped OEM with springs for a rider that weighs less than 190 lbs, and I weight a good bit more than that. All of these details were easily corrected; some are the result of Guzzi's price engineering (they probably wouldn't be able to profitably sell V7IIIs with the high-end upgrades I've fitted) and some the result of relatively idiotic legislation compliance ('nuff said on that score...).

Nothing's perfect, but my Racer is now as close to that as I need a motorcycle to be. :D

Back