• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Back into the Griso fold

MJPTexas

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My first Moto Guzzi owner experience was this 2006 Griso:

Upload 2018 6 17 15 35 7

It was one of few bikes passing through the pack that I regretted selling, so I have just replaced it with this 2017 model:

Upload 2018 6 17 15 37 25

I follow this forum religiously, but only post or respond occasionally. The new Griso replaced my excursions into the small block world, the first being a 2015 v7, and the last a 2017 V9. As much as I really wanted to like both bikes they are no substitute for a big block Guzzi.

Congrats and welcome back to the big block world! I’ll combine this with the Pic & Registry thread if you can post your details.

Great looking Griso. 11 years between the models, what's your thoughts in comparison of both bikes?

Great looking Griso. 11 years between the models, what's your thoughts in comparison of both bikes?

It's better that I respond to this in a few weeks, as I just hit break in mileage with the new Griso. Having said that, two initial observations:

1. The riding position is slightly different because the bars have been changed since 2006.
2. It's obvious the power delivery is different.

For me it looks like the 2017 will be an 'all day ride', just like the 2006 was, with few modifications.

These are great motorcycles - everyone should own one during their riding lifetime.

It's better that I respond to this in a few weeks, as I just hit break in mileage with the new Griso. Having said that, two initial observations:

1. The riding position is slightly different because the bars have been changed since 2006.

For me it looks like the 2017 will be an 'all day ride', just like the 2006 was, with few modifications.

These are great motorcycles - everyone should own one during their riding lifetime.

Indeed.

At risk of cheap parody of Nathan's Hale courageous words, I only wish I had more than one riding lifetime to spend more time on my Griso.

It's a visceral thrill every time I light it up, much less toss it around on the back roads. :)

Bill

I agree. I came from Breva 1100 & 1200 Sports, and I wondered what the fuss was for this "ugly" sibling (that's what I thought at the time).

When it was announced the production of the Griso 1200 was finished, I had to try one, especially since the fiasco with the cam followers was solved. Now I understand what you others were saying.

I'm a bit tardy on my response as I've been too busy riding :)

So after putting 3,000 miles on the 2017 Griso, including a 500 mile day, here's some comments/contrasts:

2006 Griso
I bought my 2006 Griso in early 2013, with around 4,500 miles on it. Traded it in January of 2017 after adding 8,000 miles. I would have ridden it more miles, but a Cali Custom joined the pack in December of 2013 and has garnered the highest percentage of my riding miles since that time.
Modifications:
- Mistral cone exhaust. This was on the bike when I bought it.
- Rexxer ECU re-flash. It seems that pushrod Grisos with aftermarket exhausts were prone to throw service error codes. I did the reflash primarily to get rid of the error code. However, it did change the overall nature of the bike - in a good way.
- Guzzitech bar risers. Comfort issue for my old body.
- Guzzitech billet oil cooler cover. The original cover was showing that tired sag common for the plastic cover.

The pushrod Griso had a real visceral feel to it, liked to live above 4,000 rpm and would pull quickly right up to the redline. Having said that it was much more refined than the 2004 Ballabio V11 that I owned at the same time. The V11 was truly a visceral bike. The '06 was all-day comfortable for me. I never added a windscreen because I enjoy having my helmet in clear air. Because of that, the bike could be a bit tiresome to ride in a strong head-wind. I think much of this was attributable to the really wide handlebars on the original Grisos. The bike was amazingly stable, handled the curves well and, if I remember correctly, delivered fuel mileage in the 40-ish range. If I ever see that old bike for sale I'll most likely buy it.

2017 Griso
First the modifications, and why I made them:
- Hepco Becker CBows for luggage mounts. I'm a strong advocate for HB CBows. I currently have them on 3 of my bikes. I like the ease with which the bags can be removed (nice to have them in the hotel room at night), I like the way the bikes look without the bags (the mounts integrate nicely) and I like the myriad of bag options available.
- Kaoko Throttle lock. As an old guy, my wrists get tired and sore on long rides. The throttle lock lets me give my hand a break while I'm riding. This is the 3rd Kaoko I've put on a motorcycle. Editorial comment - with the advent of ride-by-wire on most newer bikes there is no good excuse for not including cruise control. Yes, I know, the Griso is not ride by wire, but I believe most other new Guzzis are.
- Dart Piranha flyscreen (small one). As mentioned before, I like to have my helmet in clear air. I had the regular Dart flyscreen on two other bikes, and although I liked them, they did add some noise from turbulence. The Piranha is small enough it does not do that. It effectively covers the front side of the instrument cluster, and it does break the wind to about mid-chest.
- Agostini Oval exhaust. I really hate the looks of the stock Griso pipe. really the only reason I switched the pipe.
- Guzzitech bar risers (moved over from my Cali Custom). The extra inch makes a difference in the comfort of my ride.
- Guzzitech billet oil cooler cover. I just like the way it looks.
- Guzzitech billet air box cover. Looking for some minor changes in engine behavior (more on that later).
I'm pretty much done with mods on the bike for now. I've learned that if I plan to keep a bike there's no sense waiting on the mods. Enjoy them as quickly as you can.

The 8v feels more refined than the old push rod engine. It doesn't have the same visceral feel as the pushrod engine, so initially it doesn't feel as powerful, which is definitely not the case. This bike is much quicker, with the same strong pull to the redline. The 8v seems to be easier to ride around town than the pushrod Griso was. I attribute this to engine refinement. Mileage as of late has been in the 38-40 mpg range. The gearbox is buttery smooth, but the old Griso's gearbox was too.

Although the 8v is reasonably comfortable, I don't find it quite as comfortable as I remember the pushrod Griso being. It seems to have something to do with the seat, which I had assumed hadn't changed, but perhaps it has. The bars are definitely different, but for longer rides, this is a good thing.

Handling is very similar, although the 8v doesn't feel as planted. I attribute this to the tires. The old Griso wore Pirelli Angel GTs, which have been my go-to tires for my sportier bikes for several years. The 8v has Metzlers, which, IMHO, don't seem to have as much stick as the Pirellis.

My only niggle with the 8v is fueling below 4,000 rpm. Note that it is by no means terrible, and is certainly tolerable, it's just not quite as smooth as I'd like. I know there are a number of ECU re-flashes out there that can fix the problem, but I'm really hesitant to do a re-flash on a bike that is still under warranty. Ergo the reason I'm trying the billet air box cover. My local Guzzi guru said removing the air box snorkel could possibly improve lower rpm performance, so I thought 'What the Hell, I'll try the Guzzitech airbox cover', which certainly removes the snorkel. It is a relatively inexpensive option, and is easily reversible. Keep in mind I'm only looking for a modest improvement. I don't need to add a ton of power. If I wanted more power I would have bought an Aprilia Tuono.

Net, net - I really like both bikes. They are more alike than different. Obviously the biggest difference is the engine. The 8v, while still a beast, is more refined than the old Griso, which makes it a more enjoyable daily ride. I did really like the looks of the older Grisos. That silver engine really stood out, especially on a black bike. Given the modest cost difference between used 8vs and pushrod Grisos, I'd encourage riders new to Grisos to buy an 8v (2013 or later of course).

Handling is very similar, although the 8v doesn't feel as planted. I attribute this to the tires. The old Griso wore Pirelli Angel GTs, which have been my go-to tires for my sportier bikes for several years. The 8v has Metzlers, which, IMHO, don't seem to have as much stick as the Pirellis.

I hated the Metzler on my 1200SE, but I didn't realize that they were the reason my Griso was reluctant to enter a turn. I had to literally fight the beast to get it to lay over. I finally replaced both from and rear tires after 9500 kM with Mitchelin PR4 GTs and what a difference! Highly recommended.

I've read that the Metzler Roadtec 01 are also an improvement if you wish to stay with Metzler. But not for me, once bitten twice shy.

I hated the Metzler on my 1200SE, but I didn't realize that they were the reason my Griso was reluctant to enter a turn. I had to literally fight the beast to get it to lay over.

My G11 was also a "little slow" until I dropped clamps on the forks.

Now I have Five Rings showing above the triple clamps --- it's a Musashi thing

Mark

I hated the Metzler on my 1200SE, but I didn't realize that they were the reason my Griso was reluctant to enter a turn. I had to literally fight the beast to get it to lay over. I finally replaced both from and rear tires after 9500 kM with Mitchelin PR4 GTs and what a difference! Highly recommended.

I've read that the Metzler Roadtec 01 are also an improvement if you wish to stay with Metzler. But not for me, once bitten twice shy.

Back