• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New tyres MGCT calibration

matino

Just got it firing!
Do I need to recalibrate traction control after changing tyres? Recently I changed tyres to Metzeler's ME888 and they are slipping like crazy in damp/wet conditions when accelerating out of the corners. MGCT on 3 and no interruptions.

Do I need to recalibrate traction control after changing tyres? Recently I changed tyres to Metzeler's ME888 and they are slipping like crazy in damp/wet conditions when accelerating out of the corners. MGCT on 3 and no interruptions.
Traction control and ABS calibrate within the first couple of feet of moving after the bike is first started. I just put Metzeler ME888 on mine and these are even better in the rain than the ME880s that I had on them before (once the tires were heat cycled and scrubbed in)!

Now I found it in user manual "
CALIBRATION IS NEEDED TO OPTIMISE MGCT FUNCTIONALITY IN THE EVENT
OF CHANGING TYRE TYPE."

OF CHANGING TYRE TYPE."
We'll lookie there! The dealer must have calibrated mine when I made the change from the stock Dumbflops to the Metzelers originally. Good to know. Thanks!

OF CHANGING TYRE TYPE."
Please post results after calibration with new tires. It will be great to hear if that solved the problem.....Cheers

OF CHANGING TYRE TYPE."

If the traction control and ABS lights extinguish after a few mph, then there is no need to recalibrate. Recalibration is a right pain in the butt, don't do it unless you have to.

If the traction control and ABS lights extinguish after a few mph, then there is no need to recalibrate. Recalibration is a right pain in the butt, don't do it unless you have to.
According to manual, it seems pretty straightforward, just drive for a few seconds at 30 kmh. I have yet to try it

According to manual, it seems pretty straightforward, just drive for a few seconds at 30 kmh. I have yet to try it

Exactly. 30.kmh +/- whatever the tolerance specified is not easy to achieve or maintain. I'm telling you from experience, but by all means try yourself if you don't believe me.

I arrived at this discussion Googling for an on-line copy of the actual calibration procedure. I was hoping to avoid having to pry it out of the tiny print multi-language owners manual. Ultimately I bought a searchable PDF for $5. I post the procedure here for those who might follow.

This is for a 2017 V7-III, but I suspect is the same for similar years.

MGCT SYSTEM CALIBRATION PROCEDURE

In order to maintain the effectiveness of the MGCT system following the replacement of one or both tyres or in the case of serious wear, causing a non-compliant behaviour of the MGCT, a calibration procedure of the system must be performed as follows on
a straight flat stretch of road.
Check that the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure before calibrating the MGCT system.

• Allow the engine to idle for at least 5 seconds.
• Check that the MGCT is activated at level 1 or 2. Otherwise, activate it.
• Pull the clutch lever while pressing the starter button for at least 5 seconds. The activation of the process will be confirmed by the MGCT warning light turning on with fast flashing.
• Accelerate to a constant speed of 30 km/h (18.64 mph) in second gear, and maintain this speed for at least 8 seconds.
• The end of the procedure will be indicated by the MGCT warning light turning off.

The MGCT system is active.

• Once the procedure is completed, it is necessary to switch the ignition key to (OFF) and wait for at least 60 seconds before being able to switch again to (ON).
• In case of failure to complete the procedure within 2 minutes, the MGCT warning light will stay on steady and the MGCT system will remain off until switching to (OFF).
• To reactivate the MGCT system, it must be switched again to (ON). It is however necessary to repeat the process until it succeeds.

CAUTION IF NECESSARY, CONTACT AN AUTHORISED SERVICE CENTRE.

I think its only needed if you change tire sizes but I had to do the procedure in an Aprilla and it was a pain to hold speed to the satisfaction of the computer.

Changed my original Dunlops to Avon Cobra, did not recalibrate, didn't feel it was necessary and have had no issues. Tyre sizes same as original.

^ Yeah, surely the difference in diameter between a new same size tire and a worn one does not need this calibration done.

I recently changed the rear tire to a 195/65r16, which is about an inch taller than the stock tire. I did not recalibrate anything, and everything seems fine.

I recalibrate all of my tyres when changed from old to new, customers tyres always too. It is a simple process and guarantees the traction control functions properly, not that I ever use mine prefer full control by throttle

Stoked to find this today after getting new tires fitted and thinking the shop had Thrashed my motor in some way cos the MGCT was cutting in constantly and making the bike unrideable
Turned off my traction control till i can re-calibrate now shes running like a dream again.

Any NEW tire is going to be slippery for the first 100 miles or so do to the mold release agent on the rubber. Maybe you are just riding to aggressively on your brand new tire?

Are you in Rain Mode?

Back