• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Winter Storage - Is this OK?

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Morning All;

I am starting to setup for putting my Anniversario to sleep for the winter (here in Comox, BC) for me that is 6 months.

I plan to remove the battery and store it inside, I have a trickle charger and will top it up monthly.

I will make sure the fuel tank is full on non-ethanol fuel (I only use non-ethanol) and will add in Sta-Bil to make sure all is good.

I will check and top up all fluids if needed.

I do not have a center stand but will make sure the tires are at full pressure before parking.

The storage part however is less than ideal. I have no indoor storage area and cannot build one due to local bylaw rules. Not to mention living next door to the local town planner.

I have a 2x4 framed wood storage area, and have added a small extension to it to fit the bike. It is covered in a big tarp that goes down to about 3' from the ground all around. It is shaded on 2 sides by big cedars, so wind will nto be an issue. I have a high quality bike cover to strap on the bike.

Anything I am missing or should be doing differently?

Thanks
Maya

Be sure to run the fuel with stabil through the entire fuel system. Just to make sure the injectors won't be an issue come spring. Yes, your storage conditions aren't the best, but is sounds like you are doing what you can.

I created this post this morning and then this afternoon while on Flipboard I ran across an article that seemed to be the solution. Bikebox24. A small plastic enclosure specifically for motorcycles. Strong, looks cool.

It's great I thought, time to purchase. Then I saw the price. $7000.00 Canadian, bloody hell. I don't care if it has the best German engineering and manufacturing in the world, for that cost it would have to come with it's own motorcycle.

Back to battening down my tarps. :)

Moth balls and dryer sheets, but if you can get it in the house as suggested I would. I've done it before and it makes nice decor and conversation piece. Or find a neighbor with indoor storage and buy them some beer.

Or find a neighbor with indoor storage and buy them some beer.

That ... or is something like this not an option?

https://tinyurl.com/Comax-Storage [Yes, I know; I misspelled Comox! :giggle:]

Or, e.g, post an ad for winter storage space in something like this: http://www.bcclassifieds.com

Good luck.

Bill

P.S. Covers can be problematic. They tend to retain moisture and can abrade finish in wind. Saw your comment about the gold-plated shelter, but is not something like this not an option? http://thebikebarn.net. It's even made in Vancouver! I had two for years before I built a garage.

I understand your pain with the bylaw, I had to fight mine to be able to park a bike at some covered corner...

can't help you on the outdoor situation...just make sure the cover is breathable as it doesn't trap moisture.

cap the exhaust with bags, rags or proper exhaust caps. I know you said there are no rats, but there are also other animal/insects which loves the hole to make that area their home. I taped mine exhaust holes up and clean it up when the season starts the following year.

as you are also parking your bike outside, make sure the tires get rotated 180 degree every other week or so, so the bike will rest on different spots of the tire.

I was gonna say get some plywood/cardboard under your tires, but you are outside so it isn't ideal.

beside that, again, just make sure no moisture are trapped under the cover...that is usually a HUGE killer even when parked indoor...

Also just have a quick go over with nuts & bolts before parking it.

It is easier to do it NOW than next year...most of us just want start riding once the weather turns good and that is when the "oops" happens.

man i just parked my Breva on the street with a bike cover on it for years, never had any problems.

man i just parked my Breva on the street with a bike cover on it for years, never had any problems.

Well, if you moved it around, you will be fine...it really is the moisture that can be annoying for long term.

heh, which part of BBY are you in? Might have seen it around when I was near BCIT :p Few Guzzi in that area

yea it's usually only uninsured for a few months, sometimes not even that.

i'm right beside burnaby mountain golf course! i parked my Breva at BCIT quite a bit, but that was 9 years ago or so.

Thank for the info Timmy;

The storage thing I built does have it off the ground, it's on concrete pavers, and I am going to throw up plywood walls on 3 sides of it. Then it will just be tarps for the roof and a breathable cover and a tarp door. I will plug up the exhaust and make sure to rotate the tires.
Next summer I am going to modify my real shed and fence line and build a proper storage bay. Silky deserves that.

I have seen it suggested elsewhere to remove the spark plugs and spry WD40 into the openings, is that needed?

yea it's usually only uninsured for a few months, sometimes not even that.

i'm right beside burnaby mountain golf course! i parked my Breva at BCIT quite a bit, but that was 9 years ago or so.

Ah...ya, I have a buddy lives near Brentwood mall and I sometimes hang around there...

Consistently seeing a red and a black Breva...too bad most of the time I saw them when I was driving.:p

Even an Orange Stelvio from time to time...still can't seem to catch up to the rider LOL...

Last edited:
Thank for the info Timmy;

I have seen it suggested elsewhere to remove the spark plugs and spry WD40 into the openings, is that needed?

This process is called fogging the engine which involves giving a coat of thick oil film within your cylinder heads to prevent rusting and seizing.

For some of us parking inside, under a warm cover with minimal moisture to worry about, I wouldn't bother since only a short park (less than 6 months)

But since your bike is outside that won't be firing up for a good period of time, I would do it...it is not like it is a hard job to pull the plugs out which takes like 5 mins top.

When comparing to some of the bikes out there...(Yes, I am looking at you, Suzuki), it is a pita on a Guzzi...you can even do it with a beer break :devil:

Also give a few seconds of squirt into your exhaust tip end before you cap them. It helps again with the rust issue.

And personally I am anal, so I would actually do with proper fogging oil instead of WD40. It is like 5 bucks from Canadian Tire...and please do not start an oil thread with what fogging oil to use :D

Edit: Grammar is hard..

Last edited:
Back