• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Racer first service question

V7Racer

Just got it firing!
Hello Gents,
I've got just over 600 miles on the bike and want to have serviced. My closest dealer is near Wilkes-Barre PA and is quoting "about 350.00" for the first service. They said the transmission oil and the final transmission oil do not need to be changed as the periodic maintenance chart shows at this first service. Do you guys agree with that? The manual also says the service total time is 100 minutes. When speaking to this dealership they said the valve adjustment alone takes about 2.5 hours! I just wanted some unbiased feedback on this price quote and their statements. Are these guys inline and correct or should I be driving a bit further to deal with another dealership? Thanks for your help!

Dealers seem to vary. Mine wants $800 for the first service so it is not going to happen there. :eek:

I would say $350 for the service with all fluids changed would be a very fair deal.

I will be doing it myself here in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine that it takes that long for a valve adjustment althought you should re-torque the heads while in there. I have not done a V7 yet but on many BMW air heads this usually take me about 1.5 hours.

Personally, for what that is worth, I would change the final drive and trans fluids at the first service. Cheap insurance and a good inspection to make sure everything looks good in there.

Marc

For what it's worth, my selling dealer (about a 3 hour drive), says at 1000 miles all he does is change engine oil and filter, and check other fluids. He claims adjusting the valves at this time is a waste of money as they are never out of adjustment at this time and rarely out at 7500 miles. He recommended first adjustment of valves at 15,000 miles.

I'm not happy with the dealer's response.

Valve adjustment on a Guzzi is easy. You should do it yourself. Yes, 1.5 hrs sounds about right for me, but a pro mechanic in a real shop should do it faster.

Change the fluids as recommended at 600 mi. On a new machine there'll be metal fragments shorn off and you want to get them out of the system soon. Do it yourself, just so you can see what debris shows up on the magnetic drain plug.

Really, I have qualms about a dealer that's not doing everything the book recommends. If he's cutting corners there, he might be cutting corners with you.

Guzzis are easy bikes to work on, especially the 750's. You could find a local non-dealer mechanic, and he shouldn't have a problem. Especially one who works on old BMW's, since they're similar.

Joe

Two and a half hours to do the valves! Oh my sainted aunt! I think a bit of wee just came out! Even re-torquing the heads as well it would take 45 minutes at the very most!

On the subject of 'Following the book'? This is sometimes contentious as some models state that you should strip and rebuild the forks at the first service! Something that is patently absurd. I just use that as an example.

Valve clearance adjustment has to be done at the first service as the factory has made a LOT of noise about the heads having to be re-torqued at this point. If you are compressing the gaskets, (The whole point of re-torquing the heads!) the valve clearance will close up. I also think that anyone who says they are 'Always right and never need adjusting' has their hand in it! They are almost invariably out of spec.

Engine, gearbox and bevelbox oils, oil filter, o-ring and sealing washers, tighten exhaust flange nuts and upload the new map are all part of the first service along with a general check over and inspect. $350-380 is about right in my book.

Pete

Well, I was going to throw in my two cents but Pete pretty much covered it.
All I can add is if you don't want to do it yourself there is a decent dealer on the south side of Harrisburg, Pa.
I am sure there are others but your local dealer does not sound like one I would use.

I did my own 600 mile check and doing the valves, which required adjusting, and checking the head bolts, which didn't, took less than an hour and I've never worked on a Guzzi before. But I have worked on literally hundreds of BSAs, Thriumphs, Nortons, Royal Enfields, and Matchlesses, and quite a few overhead cam engines, so the experience is there. But 2.5 hours is ridiculous. That's about the time to do a Ducati 916, or Triumph Triple including getting to the valves! Pete's 45 minutes sound about right for a flat rate.
Bare

Nice info. I was just charged for 4 hours for the first (1,000km) service. Hmmmm.
YOU HAVE BEEN HOSED!
On a 2016 and earlier where the heads need torquing an hour for that and adjusting the valves. On the 2017 where they don't if you can't check and adjust the valves in 30 minutes you need a new career. all fluids need draining at the first service and that's happening while the valves / heads are being done. plug them up and refill. whole shebang two hours (TOPS)unless he is the one in ten who actually does go over every nut and bolt and test rides it.
He obviously sell japanese bikes and took a full valve service job out of their playbook. I'd demand he show you the times in the book for what he charged.

YOU HAVE BEEN HOSED!

^this...unless your dealer is new/doesn't know what to do with a Guzzi.

On my V7, which I chose to bring to dealer for first service...it was like 2 hours top...

it only took that long because the freaking cable of the tech's ECU reader was busted...otherwise it would had been done and hour and half...

This includes run thru all the bolts, oil changes, re-torque heads, valve clearance check and test ride!

I had my 1st service last week. They changed fluids except for transmission (Think they got confused was suppose to be tranny) and adjusted valves. 300 bucks..The salesman I bought from said it was probably a good idea to have dealer do 1st one but understood when I said I was going to do all moving forward. i plan on changing transmission fluid myself this weekend.

When I had my V7II first service done and this was back in 2015 it cost $250.00AU and that included engine oil change
Gear box oil and final drive oil plus head bolts and valve adjustment.
Maybe I got the VIP treatment as I had bought a few bikes from this store plus tyres etc.
But for what it's worth these bikes are easy to work on the only job that would suck is replacing the clutch so I don't understand how
Some dealers can charge so much for a service.

YOU HAVE BEEN HOSED!
On a 2016 and earlier where the heads need torquing an hour for that and adjusting the valves. On the 2017 where they don't if you can't check and adjust the valves in 30 minutes you need a new career. all fluids need draining at the first service and that's happening while the valves / heads are being done. plug them up and refill. whole shebang two hours (TOPS)unless he is the one in ten who actually does go over every nut and bolt and test rides it.
He obviously sell japanese bikes and took a full valve service job out of their playbook. I'd demand he show you the times in the book for what he charged.
Cheers. Yep, the book says 120 minutes for this full service, but the shop said it took 4 hours going on 5, but they kindly only charged me to 4 hours. I know where I will not be going again. I rang 3 other shops and there time quote s were around the 2 hours mark. and about $400.00. It is done now, but the local shop has lost a customer :( :(

When I had my V7II first service done and this was back in 2015 it cost $250.00AU and that included engine oil change
Gear box oil and final drive oil plus head bolts and valve adjustment.
Maybe I got the VIP treatment as I had bought a few bikes from this store plus tyres etc.
But for what it's worth these bikes are easy to work on the only job that would suck is replacing the clutch so I don't understand how
Some dealers can charge so much for a service.
Cheers and thanks for the info. Yes, I was somewhat taken by the cost. I don't pay that much for a full service on my 3.2 L diesel Triton. Let's face it, the cylinders are staring you in the face so pretty easy to find - not hidden by fairing or frame :( :)

Back in 2007 I bought a brand new Suzuki Hayabusa and the dealer wanted $380au for the first service I argued with the dealer
That it was to expensive just to change oil and check the bike over.
So I went to another Suzuki dealer and it cost me $160 just goes to show.
If I purchase any new bike I always get the first service done at the dealer just to cover any warranty problems but I like doing my own work so I know it's been done properly.
Anyhow it sucks that they charged you that much money :(

If it was me i'd go and ask the service manager for a refund first then the owner next. bad publicity hurts a business and you will tell everyone you got screwed. give them a chance. just call!

I take it, Steve, that there was a reason the State Department let you go? :giggle:

Seriously, I agree with your basic premise, but suggest that hody might wish to sprinkle a bit more diplodust on the he'll "tell everyone he got screwed" piece. ;)

Bill

Back