• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starter problem

jonesar

Just got it firing!
Recently did the valve upgrade. No problems -- the old cams and followers actually looked excellent so no issues prior to the upgrade or after in regards to the valve train. Bike has 4300 miles on it. An issue with the starter has emerged though. Yesterday I rode about 12 miles, went in a video place for 5 minutes came out and it the starter did not respond when the button was pushed. Everything else seemed fine. I checked the starter switch and even substituted the starter relays and then it started (30 - 45 minutes later). I assumed it was the starter realy. Yet, today the same thing. Shut it off when it was hot then it would not repond. Everything looked fine but no response when the starter button was pushed. After the bike cooled down it started normally.

Anyone had this issue or know the likely culprit?

Have you checked the dash computer for errors? Sound like some sort of temperature protection (note that head temperature is likely to go up at first when the cooling -riding- stops, even with the engine off).

I had an issue with my starter where the starter would not disengage resulted in shearing the cog and blowing a lot of fuses apparantly there was an early recall to remove one of the relays from the set of four at the front right side of the fairing. you should have one relay missing if all your spaces are populated speak to your dealer.

The bike came with three relays originally from front to rear as indicated:
X X
X
I added the fourth for the auxillary lights to work appropriately. Looking at the wiring diagram it would be hard for me to imagine any of the other three slots being empty.

nomad wrote:
try removing the one you put in and see if it makes any difference - ?

No, he is quite correct. The empty slot is the fog light relay - not installed and you get no fog lights.

However, looking at the wiring diagram, I see that there are 2 relays listed for the start up: Start Up Relay and Start Up Maintenance Relay. What the heck is that second one?

1.jpg

The Guzzi technical recall note talks of the two relays at the front of the fairing on the right hand side of the bike. You remove the one nearest the fuse carrier, the light grey one.

Brian UK wrote:
The Guzzi technical recall note talks of the two relays at the front of the fairing on the right hand side of the bike. You remove the one nearest the fuse carrier, the light grey one.

I believe these relays are NOT in the block with the others.

Back