• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Using GPS Power for other Accessories?

Brian VanKoevering

Just got it firing!
Hey all,

I just bought my first Moto Guzzi. ( New, left-over Griso) and I see that there is a switched power lead for GPS. Has anyone used this lead to power other accessories? Namely, heated grips? I was going to tap the headlight, but it would be nice to keep it sano and use the GPS lead.

I searched the forum, but it didn't turn up any examples where this route was a proven winner.

Thanks in advance.

Is there not a heated grips supply too? One for each grip. Just add the heated grips, the control system is built in.

I doubt the fuse and wiring for the sat nav feed would be up to the power taken by an aftermarket heated grips unit.

No heated grip supply in the later Griso 1200 SE. Oxford heated grips go directly across the battery with it's own included fuse, so wouldn't use it anyway.

I use the switched power lead for a radar detector and very occasionally for (wait ......) a GPS.

A Stelvio customer just had me cut the TomTom lead off and put on bullet connectors for the Garmin wiring.

If you cut it loose GREEN is 12V and blue is ground.

I used the GPS power supply on my Griso to power LED auxiliary lights that I installed, so it can be used for other accessories. I direct wired my GPS charging cradle directly to the battery with an inline fuse. I didn't want the GPS coming on every time I started the bike.

I used the GPS power supply on my Griso to power LED auxiliary lights that I installed, so it can be used for other accessories. I direct wired my GPS charging cradle directly to the battery with an inline fuse. I didn't want the GPS coming on every time I started the bike.
Or indeed going off every time to turn the ignition off. Quite useful to be able to check a route before starting.

I've been thinking about adding a USB port and it sounds like the existing GPS power would be perfect for that. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to things like this. Would someone mind explaining, in layman's terms, where to find these wires? I've got a 2017 Griso 8v. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking about adding a USB port and it sounds like the existing GPS power would be perfect for that. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to things like this. Would someone mind explaining, in layman's terms, where to find these wires? I've got a 2017 Griso 8v. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

That's what I did. I used it for a 12v accessory port for charging the phone and other items, you can see it mounted behind the GPS in the 1st photo. If you remove the right side cover underneath the tank, you will see the wiring harness running up around the yoke of the steering head (2nd photo in between the side cover and the fork tube). Attached to this harness you will see a small blue or green plug (about a 1/4" in diameter) tucked away coming from the harness (you might have to move the harness around a little bit to find it).
20181018 094338 resized
20181018 094533 resized

That's what I did. I used it for a 12v accessory port for charging the phone and other items, you can see it mounted behind the GPS in the 1st photo. If you remove the right side cover underneath the tank, you will see the wiring harness running up around the yoke of the steering head (2nd photo in between the side cover and the fork tube). Attached to this harness you will see a small blue or green plug (about a 1/4" in diameter) tucked away coming from the harness (you might have to move the harness around a little bit to find it).

You are a saint! Thank you!

Not a problem. That's one of the nice things about this forum, everyone has always been helpful, I've picked up a lot of good information here. Here's the LED lights that I installed between the fork tubes a few months back using the same power source, not a very good pic though.
20181018 104922

Back